for those who love bucket biologists as much as I do

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
KevinS
Petty Officer

Re: for those who love bucket biologists as much as I do

Post by KevinS » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:39 am

Fishing regs do not mention motor restrictions at Mineral Lake and a photo in the lakes index for Mineral appears to show motorized boats being launched (small pic though and taken?): http://www.washingtonlakes.com/LakeInfo.aspx?id=142&t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:39 am

yes, definitely need to remember, some of the pictures were taken a long time ago and those restrictions will change over time.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:35 am

Pretty sure Mineral has no motor restrictions. The resort there has motor boats (and a large pontoon) for rent, and I've seen plenty of boats running on the lake this summer.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:28 pm

gonnahookit wrote:Pretty sure Mineral has no motor restrictions. The resort there has motor boats (and a large pontoon) for rent, and I've seen plenty of boats running on the lake this summer.
Last time I was there, motors were fine but there is a speed limit. 5...8mph.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:29 pm

KevinS wrote:Fishing regs do not mention motor restrictions at Mineral Lake and a photo in the lakes index for Mineral appears to show motorized boats being launched (small pic though and taken?): http://www.washingtonlakes.com/LakeInfo.aspx?id=142&t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just remember, the WDFW regs. are not the tell all on gas motor restrictions. Those are county ordinances. Yes, the regs. will tell you that a "specialized" fly fishing only lake like, "Pass" lake does not allow motors, but the regs aren't going to speak to every non gas lake in the state.
On that note there has been gas motors as long as I can remember in Mineral. You could also call the resort and ask if they rent boats with gas tillers.

Lou Smith
Petty Officer

Post by Lou Smith » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:55 pm

I have fished Mineral many times and mapped it. Mineral Lake allows gas motors and has an 8 mph speed limit posted at the WDFW launch. I also came across sites that say no gas motors and maps that show the launch in the wrong place. Amx is right, there are errors on the WDFW site. I have e-mailed them with no response.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:31 pm

I will pass on about the Meridian info. We are supposed to keep that site updated with the correct information.

As far as big huge bass that would be 5-9lber's. Plus some decent size ones that have popped up on their picture board over the summer. The biggest one I ever sampled was about 7.5 lbs. Pretty fish.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Seems like if they waved the limit on bass, and advertised by word of mouth, most of those huge bass would soon be gone. I know it happens on lakes that actually should have bass, and do have limits. Just a thought.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:18 pm

It's something we are looking into. Mineral is a nursery lake and we'd like to keep it that way.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Stacie Kelsey wrote:It's something we are looking into. Mineral is a nursery lake and we'd like to keep it that way.
I say go for it. Not sure why the state should spend any time,energy or money enforcing harvest limits on fisheries that only exist due to bucket biologists, especially if the state has actually spent money to erradicate or suppress that fishery before. The people that do this don't deserve a quality fishery as a reward IMO.

rickydbasser
Petty Officer

Post by rickydbasser » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:13 am

Amx wrote:where is mineral lake?
To get to Mineral Lake travel south from Puyallup on Meridian Hiway, go through the town of Eatonville. On the other side of town take a left where it says Paradise Park/Mount Rainier. Follow that until you come to a T in the road. You'll be looking at Alder Lake. Make a left there, go through Elbe to the end of the lake, make a right across the bridge over the Nisqually River which drains into the Alder Lake. Follow that towards Morton. On the way there you will see one of two roads to the left that say Mineral. Either one of them goes straight to the lake.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:44 am

fishinChristian wrote:Seems like if they waved the limit on bass, and advertised by word of mouth, most of those huge bass would soon be gone. I know it happens on lakes that actually should have bass, and do have limits. Just a thought.
I've often thought of this principle. If WDFW were to designate a list of lakes that they considered mainly trout fisheries, and a list of lakes that they considered warm water or spiny ray, and a list where multi species.... and then adapt the regs around those lists.... the fishing public "might" be able to assist in harvesting the unwanted fish out of certain lakes.... lots of factors to work out, one being the wastage rule. After the waters warm, an angler can easily catch 100 sunfish in an outing, but, what do you do with them that isn't considered wastage under the law? Just an example, I don't need an answer. Another factor is consistency, I personally dislike ever changing rules and the complications they bring, LOL I resist CHANGE. I think I'm not alone in this. How do we keep it fun!

Fish Lake, Chelan County is a set of regs designed for multi species..... Hatch Lake, Stevens County is an example of trout only.....(but putting the perch back in the lake is odd), and tossing stunted perch on the ice is illegal... ](*,)

Thanks for your hard work Stacie! My other half enjoyed catching one of those metal heads out of Kress with a 4' ultra light one year... An opportunity she would not have had otherwise.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:58 pm

MFS: Strange how compelled we get when people don't need an answer, to provide one, or at least I did.... Actually, good thinking, especially on the "No bait fishing from the 43rd sagebrush downstream to the imaginary line 200' upstream of the white rock" type of regs, and ones that change weekly. As far as wastage, I think it would waste less than Rotenone, and have a better survival rate for the "desirable" species, though that's only my guess. Yeah, Fish Lake regs are kind of odd. Just think people are better than governments at efficiency. We rehabbed a private pond that had too many bluegill one time, decades ago, and the hundreds of 2-3" fish made great fertilizer. No real waste. The fishing 2-3 years later was awe inspiring.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 pm

I also liked AMX's approach: Big Bass??? Where is that lake?!?!?!? I'm with you!

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:46 pm

I'll give Mineral lake a shot for bass... fished it for trout years ago...

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:03 pm

I like the ideas being put forth.

What about a tourney for the removal of bass? Sort of like a 'make it fun' deal?

I'm all for less complicated rules. I think the easiest way to go about it would be an emergency reg that covers going over the statewide limit for bass on THAT particular body of water. Now I know I'd get a lot of push back from the folks in that area that like to fish bass there, but if I could really convince them that it is indeed a GOOD thing, it might be a really fun opportunity to get some data and some fish for folks.

Make it a really fun outing - what do you guys think?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:40 pm

I say go for it. It would be for fun and survival of the Bass and the betterment of other selected and approved lakes to receive the caught Bass. No winnings like money or trophies, just the pleasure of fishing and saving the Bass. No cost to the fishermen or WDFW other than paying the WDFW agents their normal wages. The best time would be before or during the spawn, in say April to mid May, as that would lessen the numbers of new fry in Mineral Lake. And hopefully the Bass in their new lakes would still spawn that same spring, provided they aren't stressed too much.

Maybe a 2 day weekend each weekend of April and each weekend of May. Even during the week for those who can make it.

Maybe the WDFW can have the live tank boat there to take care of the fish.
Tom.

Interests: living

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:42 pm

I will start doing some checking on the watershed transfer issues.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Stacie Kelsey wrote:I like the ideas being put forth.

What about a tourney for the removal of bass? Sort of like a 'make it fun' deal?

I'm all for less complicated rules. I think the easiest way to go about it would be an emergency reg that covers going over the statewide limit for bass on THAT particular body of water. Now I know I'd get a lot of push back from the folks in that area that like to fish bass there, but if I could really convince them that it is indeed a GOOD thing, it might be a really fun opportunity to get some data and some fish for folks.

Make it a really fun outing - what do you guys think?
I utilize the emergency regs for chinook retention at Westport, it's a manageable tool. Being that Mineral Lake is fresh water, it may take a bit more "advertising" to get the word out. WDFW has been utilizing Facebook pretty well for optional and optimal opportunities. They've created a number of you tube vids that are helpful, one was a Lake Washington perch specific vid... Being that I sometimes read into things a bit, my interpretation of the presentation of that vid is that "there are too many perch in Lake Washington, come catch them." That may not be the case! LOL Just what I read into it. Also, Mike Schmuck has presented us here with some reports of opportunity and possible over populations. There's also that published guide that comes out yearly... "Fishing Opportunities in Washington" or some such, I've used that one off and on for 20 maybe 25 years. Then, paper, now, electronic... But it is the same essentially.

I guess, you have those who just fish a couple of times a year at the same lake, and there are those who will drive 300 miles one way to catch cutthroat thru ice...... just hypothetically, How do you bring in enough anglers to accomplish your desired outcome?

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:33 pm

I think you would receive more support from fisherman if it is a transfer of bass from one lake to another. Simply a "removal" tourney brings memories of Badger, Sprague, Pend Oreille, Spokane Arm and others. Very divisive and controversial. It would be difficult for some fishers to keep them alive though... cartoppers aren't equipped.... sure there are those battery operated aerators for coolers but...... So a transfer of fish,,,,, you're going to want bass fishermen in there that are live tank equipped... might be a bass club forum question, bass club inquiries.... see if there is support before planning too far.

I've only fished Mineral once about a decade ago. The trout we caught were all filled with worms so we haven't been back.