Replacing treble hooks on plugs, with single hooks??

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Replacing treble hooks on plugs, with single hooks??

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:18 pm

I am fishing this weekend in Omak lake, Colville res.
I have fished the lake many times, no question there. My question is that I need to switch out some of the treble hooks off from my plugs, and replace with a single barbed hook. The species is of course Lahontan cutts, which are salmon size fish, so keep that in mind on the hook.

Does anyone else have direct experience with what style and specific size single hook you like to use in this situation?
Of course plug size matters, I realize. These are U-20 size plugs. About 3" length.

In the pics I attached I have placed Size 2, Single Siwash Gammys. My only concern is that this style of hook has a very straight shank, just seems weird on trolled lure? The other pick I show a hook from a mooching rig... This just shows a more rounded hook, with less shank.

I have a guide friend who swears he does not like Sickle shaped hooks. Says he loses fish with them. They look at least bad ***, but looks don't catch fish, only anglers.

Would you go with these size 2's ??
Attachments
hook 2.JPG
hook 1.JPG

Idstud
Lieutenant

Re: Replacing treble hooks on plugs, with single hooks??

Post by Idstud » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 pm

I would recommend putting a barrel swivel between the hook and split ring. I have used sickle hooks for Koks and silvers in the salt and havent had issue. My land ratio on Koks has been better with them.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Thank you Idstud. I will look at a barrel swivel placement.

Can you speak to the size and style of hook? (Maybe you said a standard siwash, I have to go back and look)
Oh.. you like sickle

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:47 pm

The size looks good and the recommendation to add a swivel is a solid one. Another note, with the single hooks you will get a lot more action out of your lure at the same trolling speed compared to having on trebels. Less weight, less resistance, more action, just keep that in mind. In Lake Washington, I use the single hook and tip it with bait to slow down the action at the speeds I troll.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks guys!
This might be the first time I've gone on a weekend fishing trip, and not felt like I needed to binge at Outdoor Emporium.

I will always binge up on gear before a trip... then I will troll around all day, and in the end, look at a bunch of things in my box, that never even got wet.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:08 pm

How did you do today?
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Amx wrote:How did you do today?
Going Friday, Saturday-Sunday..

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:52 am

Oops sorry I was thinking the hook size looked good and ment to mention that. My little ones came into the computer room and I got distracted from my thoughts. Thanks for jumping in G-Man. 2 things I know about adding a barrel swivel is it allows the hook/s to spin and give you a solid hook hook set. Also when the fish spins so will the hook making it harder to use the lure to pry the hook out against the lure. Hope that helps. Good Luck on your trip.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:34 am

I would use a single siwash and run a 4-bead chain off the center eyelet then the hook.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:26 am

The Quadfather wrote:

lets us know how you do. I am going there in April, I have gone at the end of March before and done very well. except for last year went at the end of march and the fish weren't in the usual places yet. I am thinking about a recon trip in the next few weekends to see if the fish are active. Which part of the lake do you fish?

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 am

The Quadfather wrote:

how was it?

Skaha
Petty Officer

Post by Skaha » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:45 am

--Play with the action you want.
--Bead chain for more weight. swivel for or short dacron trailer.
--could use rubber band to ..place hoook.. in a fixed position until fish takes it.

--Have to run and tune these to see what action and speed you want but playing with the set up can really give a different look.

--I have been paying with circle hook slight siwash but not enough to reccomend as haven't got it dialed in yet.
--Check out DNE hooks for a different look.

--I find with larger sickle style hook I am not a confident as the smaller ones that I use for kokanee. Seems like the larger gap on the bigger hooks may be easly to throw. I have to use barbless in lakes that I fish.