lake kachess

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
sickbayer
Commodore

lake kachess

Post by sickbayer » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Hey peeps going to lake kachess next week and I've never been there so hoping I can get some info on fishing that lake? Would like to target cutthroat trout amd maybe some kokanee any tips would be appreciated.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: lake kachess

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Same as Cle Elum.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:03 pm

There is no lake trout in kachess. And ive never fished for anything else at cle elum.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:33 pm

First, Kachess has lakers and burbot, just not as many. I found the kokes in Kachess prefer the color silver. Your standard kokanee gear will work, stacked red bead spinner with silver blade, shoepeg corn/shrimp/worm/gulp maggots behind a dodger. If you're launching at the Forest Service Park, motor out towards the east shore and start fishing in 90' of water heading south. Make sure you're not running too deep with your gear as there are plenty of trees that did not get cut when they filled up the resivoir. I've not caught any cutts in the lake, but I have picked up a few bull trout which is probably why the two rod endorsement is not valid on this lake.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:42 pm

There is lake trout? I read somewhere that there wasn't any in there which would be fine with me. No cuts is a bummer Oh well try for kokes it is. Thanks mate.

TRAUT
Petty Officer

Post by TRAUT » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:04 pm

Standard kokanee gear works fine as noted above. I'd add that early and late in the day seem better, if nothing else, the wind can kick up in the mid afternoon and make trolling speed control miserable. Towards evening when things flatten out again is my favorite time. Good luck.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:51 am

I've caught plenty of trout in Kachess. All three lakes were planted at the same time by the guy that owned them and all the timber around them back in the 30's or 40's. He put German Browns and Mackinaws in them as that was what he liked to fish for. If there's a stream going into the lake I'm going to say there's Cutts in there too but I'm certain there's rainbows as at some point in it's history a bunch had to have been dumped in there. As I said, just the same as Cle Elum.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!