Lake sammamish Coho?!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Lake sammamish Coho?!

Post by Scheindogg » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Opened up for a month or so and no one is talking about it?

Are they 100% lockjaw?

Not enough to try for them?

Hard to target?

Noones talking to keep it to themselves?

Anyone?

Bueller?

My dad is stubborn and the only lake he would take his boat to is the near by sammamish.

If it's worth a shot I'll let him know so we can try for Coho and if we fail you can ALWAYS catch perch in that lake

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Lake sammamish Coho?!

Post by Bodofish » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 pm

I've never seen over about 10".
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:46 am

One typically catches these coho as bycatch when targeting cutthroat trout. It is very hit or miss and dependant on hatchery coho hanging around in the lake long after they are released. Lake Washington has a higher number of these fish as it offers a larger food base and year round water temps that are more like what these fish would see if they made their way out to the salt. In fact, I picked one up yesterday while trolling along I-90. I don't really care for the new rule as coho tend to rear longer in freshwater, up to 2 years, than do chinook so anglers may end up keeping fish that would eventually make their way to the ocean. Even with the limited amount of fishing that takes place, if there were a good number of resident salmon folks would be catching them on a regular basis, which has not been the case. In short, if you are looking to hit the lake to target near adult sized coho, have at it, but don't expect to come home with one.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:40 pm

I guess I'm arrogant I never knew that lake opened for silvers.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:52 pm

It was a special rules update it said hatchery coho. Don't know if it's a regular thing or not. Thanks for the info giys

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:47 pm

According to this, this is a special opening because there are apparently a lot of hatchery Coho which didnt migrate out of Lake Sam for some reason. Not a lot of detail. Maybe they were released too late and they lost the migratory instinct? It would be interesting to know what happened.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hatc ... y-anglers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;