WDFW killing 5 more lakes this fall.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Larry3215
Admiral

WDFW killing 5 more lakes this fall.

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:29 pm

I really hate this.
WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

September 5, 2017

Game fish daily limits and size restrictions
to be suspended on 5 eastern Washington lakes

Action: Remove size and daily limits and extend the season for game fish on three lakes in Stevens County and two lakes in Spokane County that scheduled for rehabilitation.

Species affected: Trout and other game fish

Stevens County:

Effective dates and locations: Effective immediately through Oct. 15, 2017, Rigley, Rocky and Williams lakes (Stevens County) are open to fishing with no daily limits and no size limits for all game fish and no selective gear rules.
Rigley and Rocky will be closed to fishing from Oct. 16, 2017 until April 28, 2018. Williams Lake will be closed from Oct. 16, 2017, until Nov. 23, 2018.
Spokane County:

Effective dates and locations: Effective immediately through Oct. 22, 2017, Hog (a.k.a. Hog Canyon) and Fishtrap lakes (Spokane County) are open to fishing with no daily limits and no size limits for all game fish.
Fishtrap Lake will be closed to fishing from Oct. 23, 2017 until April 28, 2018. Hog Lake will be closed from Oct. 23, 2017, until Nov. 23, 2018.
Reasons for action: For management purposes, these lakes are scheduled to be treated with the rotenone, a naturally occurring pesticide commonly used to remove undesirable and illegally stocked fish species from lakes and streams.

Before closing these lakes, WDFW fish managers are suspending game fish daily limits and size restrictions in order to temporarily increase angling opportunity. The lakes close to fishing before rotenone treatments will begin.

Other information: Unless otherwise amended all permanent rules remain in effect.

Information contact: For Rigley, Rocky and Williams Lakes: Bill Baker, Region 1, District 1 Fish Biologist, 509-684-2362 ext. 23. For Hog and Fishtrap Lakes: Randy Osborne, Region 1, District 2 Fish Biologist, 509-892-1001 ext. 302.

spokey9
Captain

Re: WDFW killing 5 more lakes this fall.

Post by spokey9 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 pm

These are fairly small lakes, especially rigley at 8.2 acres. Unless they're fairly deep so the rainbows can find cool water, I think this is a waste of money to rehab. Too many small lakes that aren't deep enough to prevent disease or die offs during the warm months are managed for trout fisheries in this state imo.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Fordtuff
Petty Officer

Post by Fordtuff » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:51 am

What is the point of this? They really think those lakes won't end up with those fish again? The state can't even manage a fish hatchery, good luck with actual lakes.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:51 pm

The only thing I can figure is there has to be money involved some how. I just dont know how or who. There would be no political will to do this kind of senseless crap if some one wasnt making a profit some where along the line and passing some of that to our dear political leaders.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:53 pm

I think it because planter trout is the only fishery the dept has shown any aptitude for in recent years and it's steadily becoming their profit margin on license sales. I just wish they'd use common sense. If a lake isn't big enough for cool enough water for the trout to summer over in without high risk of disease or die off than it's just a waste of time and money to rehab. That's money better spent on enforcement or other similarly beneficial programs. Not to mention there's plenty of anglers that are more than willing to utilize a mixed species lake fishery. Beside panfish are fun, tasty, and require almost no money spent by dept and bass anglers need fishing holes too lol.

Don't get me wrong I have no issues with managing lakes as basically trout only fisheries. Mineral is a really good example. Its been treated to remove the "unwanted" species a time or two. There's really big fish in that lake but it's also a lake that has enough cool water on the bottom to help those fish get through the summer.

Other options if a trout fishery in those lakes is essential is to plant brookies or browns. Both of those can handle warmer water much better than rainbows. Granted browns can be a pain in the behind to catch sometimes, but brookies are willing biters in almost all conditions. They can be triploided like all the rainbows that are planted these days so the potential of spawning and overwhelming watersheds is almost nothing.

Fordtuff
Petty Officer

Post by Fordtuff » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:22 pm

I think someone must be making money off this also. Why would they promote something that constantly cost them money and won't become self sufficient? The only thing the warm water species need is to be left alone. I figured the state would be pushing panfish. They wouldn't have to do anything. And why rainbows for every lake when there are better trout species for those conditions?

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:09 am

I'm curious, any of you actually fish these Eastern WA lakes?
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:53 pm

I've fished a couple. Up until the kiddo came along I used to fish a fair amount on the dry side lakes.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:22 am

I'll address two, Hog Canyon and Fishtrap.

Hog Canyon, 49acres, is one of only two winter only lakes (Fourth of July is the other) in the general Spokane area and is managed for trout. Hog Canyon is very popular in winter.

Fishtrap, 190acres, is another popular trout lake that follows the regular season.

Both have become infested with undesirable species affecting the trout fishing. When trout fishing declines people quit fishing. There are other local multi-species lakes to satisfy desires of those who seek a mixed bag.

I've fished Fourth of July many times and the winter trout can be spectacular. I've carried many a stringer of fat 13" - 14" trout with beautiful deep orange flesh - great table fare. I've seen the shore lined with anglers.

Rainbow trout are still very popular with many people here in Eastern WA.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount