Towing a boat over passes

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Rocketvet
Petty Officer

Towing a boat over passes

Post by Rocketvet » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 pm

We are headed to Chelan next week for our annual winter "polar bear" trip. We have 1 day booked with Jeff of Darrell and Dad's Guide Service but we are strongly considering towing our boat over for a few more days of fishing and was interested in any feedback or advice. I now have a 2013 Ram 2500 6.7 turbo diesel 4wd with very new BF Goodrich T/A KO2 tires. Our boat is a 16 ft Smokercraft with a 50 hp Honda, single axel trailer with no trailer brakes. The truck is a beast in the snow in 4wd and we have made trips up to White Pass with no problem at all. The boat and trailer are "light" by most standards but I've never weighed the boat and trailer yet. I could be wrong but I think both truck and boat/trailer are still under the 10,000 pound limit that Washington state requires for carrying and using chains. Forecast could see some light snow on both Snoqualmie and Blewett passes. Should I get chains for truck, truck and trailer, don't bother? I am very comfortable driving in winter conditions as I am a long-time skier/snowboarder, and know all the basic stuff (go slow, turn slow, slow downhill, carry provisions, etc). But I've never towed a boat in snow so any advice is appreciated!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Towing a boat over passes

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:45 am

Just my opinion but here goes.
First off as you probably already know, your 2500 Ram with a Cummins, will not even know your light weight boat is back there. I have towed previously owned boats without trailer brakes in the snow with no issues. Obviously abruptly jamming on the brakes could cause a possible issue, but even semi careful driving should really create you no problems. I have never felt that chains on a trailer were of much if any use. I would guess that good tread on your tires and 4 wheel drive will get you through the snow just fine. I had a Dodge diesel a few years back and that heavy motor over the front tires made that truck go places I never believed it would go. A quick call to the state patrol office should give you the information you need in case they require chains. For what it's worth. If I were you, I would have no concerns hooking on to your boat and heading over the pass. That said, once on the road, if you don't feel good about driving in the current conditions, turn around and head back home. :)

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:50 am

Something to consider is that the new vehicles are not recommended to run chains on. You might call the dealership and check.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:21 pm

No problem with chains on most any pickup. There will be LOTS of clearance on that Ram. EVERYBODY should have chains for their truck, snow or not. Never can tell when they might be needed, or required, even on a 4x4. They DO require chains on 4x4s now and then. Chains on a trailer is just so they don't slide sideways on curves, downhill, and such, I've never put, or even had, chains on a trailer, and yes I've towed the boat in snow over the Siskues. I've never even put the chains on my 4x4, but I have them in the truck during the winter most of the time. Gonna rain the next couple days, might snow on the passes, be ready for it.
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:21 pm

I tow the same boat over the pass constantly, with a 4 cylinder Subaru Outback, (and I mean in the snow). Snow or no snow. You have nothing to worry about. Obvious caution with the basics like sharp turns, sliding light weight trailer. But up and over = easy.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:05 pm

I had the same plan as you a month ago. Towing in the snow and solid ice was fairly easy, I didn't need any chains on our trip. (diesel chevy w 16ft lund), but I traveled pretty cautiously. The launch was well maintained and plowed, but I had chains, sand and rock salt just incase. I learned why so many people cover or remove downriggers while traveling.... sand, dirt and ice had both units non functional for the first outing. Jeff canceled the morning of our guided trip because of ice, so our boat was all we fished from, also was first time on chelan for us.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Rocketvet
Petty Officer

Post by Rocketvet » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the input. I trailered the boat to the dump scale today and came in right at 10,000 pounds total weight. I picked up a set of chains from the tire shop but they too felt the trailer would be fine with existing tread.

Good advice about the covering the downriggers! I will take it slow and feel better that others have made the trek without any problems. Fishing report to follow.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 pm

On our scotty electric downrigger, the road grit caused the brake to not auto engauge when it stopped. By the time my dad engaged the brake handle, the 12# ball was traveling mach 10 towards the bottom of the lake.... and was not stopping for any brake! Cost us a ball and release clip, oh well. Good luck!
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:57 am

One thing to think about is ice on the boat ramps at Chelan. Just about everybody I know that fish from a boat here in Eastern Washington during the winter carry a set of chains for the tow rig and nobody is bashful about using them. You may find ice just at the waters edge of the entire length of the ramp may be icy. A lot of times it may just be a matter of shade from the trees that keeps the suns heat from the ramp, but one thing for sure a $100 for a set of tire chains is a lot cheaper then a tow bill and the damage your truck could suffer from being under water. Last winter we saw at least 6 trucks that went in the water around Eastern Washington. Good Luck and stay safe.

Rocketvet
Petty Officer

Post by Rocketvet » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Agreed. Chains are packed!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:45 am

Make sure the chains are in to show if they're check and just do it. I tow my drifter and my customweld over either pass and don't even give it a second thought. The boat trailers handle better than the truck towing them. The only time I've ever had any trouble with a trailer in the snow is electric brakes when they're on to tight. The trailer will just follow right along, you won't even know it's there. Boat ramps..... kitty litter is your friend.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!