Buffalo lake, Colville Reservation

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Buffalo lake, Colville Reservation

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Did anybody fish Bufallo lake on the Colville Res. last summer? I tried to make my 1st trip over there, but the fires were so bad, and water temps so high, that the trip was cancelled.
I’d love to hear from someone whether in a PM, or here, regarding your experience.
I am especially interested in your crawfishing experience at Bufallo in any of the past few years.
Thanks!

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Re: Buffalo lake, Colville Reservation

Post by hewesbob » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:27 am

We didn't fish Buffalo last summer because of what we found there year before last. Most all fish caught were infested with lice (I know somebody will chime in with the scientific name). I have seen lice on fish from other lakes but nothing like this lake, balls of lice would burrow completely into the flesh. Most other fish I have seen with lice will just have a few that gather around the fins and in the gills but both Kokanee and trout would have them on their sides and even in their mouth, The Crawdads are very plentiful and easy to fill a trap but be sure to read the regulation closely, the rules are different for tribal members and non tribal members. Buffalo lake is only about a half hour from our house so we may try it next month just to see if the lice problem is still as bad as it was a couple years ago.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:34 am

Much appreciated Hewes, although I mostly C/R trout, I’d rather see them without a mess of lice. I do like one fatty for the smoker.

I am highly interested in the crawfish, and I’m aware of the tribal regs, as I fish Omak regularly.
If you get out there next month please let me know what you find. I know you live close, so you don’t stay at Reynold’s resort on Buffalo, but I assume you are familiar? That would be my base camp.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:29 am

I will give a report for sure. I have friends from Wenatchee area that have stayed at that resort, they seemed to think it was just fine. Good luck

TMBob
Petty Officer

Post by TMBob » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Interest in that area myself....McGinnis also.

When is a good time to head that way? How about Spiny Ray’s? June and beyond?

My main goal is to catch Brookies at McGinnis

Heard the resort is a dump....stay in Omak was suggested instead. Just a room with no water.