Cranberry Lake???

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
SoCal_Fishing
Angler

Cranberry Lake???

Post by SoCal_Fishing » Tue May 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Hello Everyone! Member from San Diego here. I am going on vacation to Whidbey Island this year with the family. I was promised one day of fishing on the island. I want to target trout or bass. So a lake with a heavy supply of both is a must. I am heavily thinking about going to Cranberry Lake. Does anyone know where the best spots and what to use here would be? I do bait n' wait for trout on a Carolina Rig usually. Will the typical Powerboat work fine? What about good stuff to use and where to find the bass? Anyone info is greatly appreciated. If you want to put your two cents on any better places on Whidbey, feel free. You guys know best! Thanks y'all... [biggrin]

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Cranberry Lake???

Post by The Quadfather » Wed May 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Check out Lone lake for trout. It is ‘Selective gear rules’, so no bait ‘n wait allowed, but quality trout.

Cranberry is one SUPER weedy lake, even in winter, so by summer.... look out! There is an area way out from the dock, that I found weed-free, but you will need a boat.
Look just beyond the N. end of the island, @ Campbell lake. This lake puts out some 20” trout, as well as LMB. My choice WAY before Cranberry, but maybe that’s me.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Wed May 23, 2018 1:27 pm

Cranberry has lots of spots along the north shore to fish, and a large dock on the east end. The dock can get busy with swimmers. As stated, the lake is weedy, so use 4-5 foot leader. I always used 3 chartreuse power eggs on a size 6 hook. 3 to keep it floating, and size 6 because they dont get completely gut hooked as much.

SoCal_Fishing
Angler

Post by SoCal_Fishing » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 am

JoshH wrote:Cranberry has lots of spots along the north shore to fish, and a large dock on the east end. The dock can get busy with swimmers. As stated, the lake is weedy, so use 4-5 foot leader. I always used 3 chartreuse power eggs on a size 6 hook. 3 to keep it floating, and size 6 because they dont get completely gut hooked as much.
Good Morning! What lake do you suggest fishing, Cranberry or Campbell? I was originally set on Cranberry, but was thrown off by the weeds. Does it really get in the way a lot and affect good fishing? Thank you!

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Fri May 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Weed are more of a problem of you are in a boat trolling. Use 4-5 foot leader and floating bait off the shore. Dont fish the dock, there are a bunch of spots along the road to fish, better fishing and deeper water with fewer weeds than if you fish the dock.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 pm

SoCalFishing, You’re not reading your PM inbox. :scratch:

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Sun May 27, 2018 10:24 am

Also, Campbell doesnt have any real bank fishing access, can maybe fit 1 or 2 at the launch at best. If you have a boat, Campbell can be good, if not, Cranberry.