Lead core line recommendations?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Lead core line recommendations?

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:40 pm

I am new to trolling with Lead Core line. I have sold my boat, and rigging up a Mirage Drive Kayak. I will setup a downrigger, but I want to get into Lead Core line as well.

There are many brands/options it seems. Can any of you guys that troll Lake WA. Cutts. suggest anything?
Also, I did not realize it comes in various lb. test options. I thought it was generic...and your leader was the lb test option.

Thanks!
(Gotsta get it by tomorrow)

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Lead core line recommendations?

Post by G-Man » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 pm

I don't often use lead core, but when I do... I use TufLine micor lead https://tuf-line.com/product/microlead/. Their product has a couple of features going for it like reduced diameter, stronger and slicker sheath plus it's made in the USA. I'd say hit Outdoor Emporium, but call first, they have not been very good at maintaining stock levels and for the past few years it's been hit or miss that they have a given product in stock. If you are gunning for trout and kokanee go with the smallest diameter they have. Size/weight does not really effect sink rate as the larger diameters just have more drag and this pretty much makes all the options drop your gear down at about the same rate.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:17 pm

G-Man wrote:I don't often use lead core, but when I do... I use TufLine micor lead https://tuf-line.com/product/microlead/. Their product has a couple of features going for it like reduced diameter, stronger and slicker sheath plus it's made in the USA. I'd say hit Outdoor Emporium, but call first, they have not been very good at maintaining stock levels and for the past few years it's been hit or miss that they have a given product in stock. If you are gunning for trout and kokanee go with the smallest diameter they have. Size/weight does not really effect sink rate as the larger diameters just have more drag and this pretty much makes all the options drop your gear down at about the same rate.
Thanks G-Man, that is what I was looking for. It is really a bummer, but yes, I sent this message via the fishing line aisle at OE, and Yes, they really have not kept up their stock on a lot of things for quite some time. I used to love this place, but I feel like they are slipping badly. ](*,)

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
Thanks G-Man, that is what I was looking for. It is really a bummer, but yes, I sent this message via the fishing line aisle at OE, and Yes, they really have not kept up their stock on a lot of things for quite some time. I used to love this place, but I feel like they are slipping badly. ](*,)
Agree. OE has been bad in recent years about keeping quite a few items in stock. Seasonal sell out is one thing, but months without restocking is kinda ridiculous. Hate to go to Dick’s, but at least they’ve got a few of the items in stock regularly.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:37 am

I use 18# for trout/kokanee trolling in Roosevelt. Have the same lead core on my reels I started with but did remove and reinstall in reverse two years ago so I had the fresh unused line to the outside. When I get 8yrs out of that I might replace it. Not sure what brand it is but can attest to hundreds of trout caught with it.

For my purpose, I tie 50' of 6lb fluorocarbon leader to the braid with a micro swivel that slides right through the guides. I'd used the Willis knot for many years but started having problems with the fluoro slipping through unless I tied 2 or 3 back to back. Now I can replace a leader in seconds, tie only one knot, and not fumble with trying to slip 6lb fluoro into the sheath. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:02 pm

I picked up the ‘Tuffline’ ?? 18 lb. 100 yards. I almost got 200 yards. Good thing I didn’t. As it was, I was up til 1:00 AM, tearing perfectly good new mono off reels, trying spin the leadcore on. Turns out this stuff needs a large capacity reel! I went through 2 reels, neither would hold it all. Then it was 1:00 AM, and the fishing get up time was in 4 hours.
Leadcore tangled easily, it became a mess on the floor. I almost had to toss it.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:43 pm

If you have a good sized fly reel with a spare spool, give it a try on that. With standard diameter 18lb lead core, you'll need a salmon sized level wind to get all 100 yards of it in one shot.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:46 pm

G-Man wrote:If you have a good sized fly reel with a spare spool, give it a try on that. With standard diameter 18lb lead core, you'll need a salmon sized level wind to get all 100 yards of it in one shot.
I kind of dig those mooching reels, that look like a large fly reel. I may pick one up.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:25 am

My leadcore reels are Daiwa SG47LCs and they hold a full 100yds. Been using 'em since '07 or '08. Was surprised to see the AK charter operator we fished with the last two years using exact same reels. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 am

Chris, 2 or 3 years ago I posted this as a method for loading lead core on smaller reels. I hope that it helps.

"Appologies up front, I'm typing this on my smarter than me phone...

I often fish lead line but my approach is a bit differnt and kind of a phased setup.

1) On an empty reel tape the end of the lead-line on the spool and load three colors + a few feet of the lead-line on the spool then cut the lead-line saving the balance of the spool.

2) Remove the lead core from a foot or so of the loose end of the lead-line now on the reel.

3) Using a Double Uni Knott tie 20# braid of your choice on to the end of the stripped lead-line. Then fill the spool with the 20# braid. Cut the braid when the spool is full.

4) The PIA part; you will need two empty spools or a second empty reel of the same type/size. The goal is to load the braid/lead-line combo on the reel braid first. With the same reel as a second reel it is easy and you just load reel to reel. Otherwise you have to transfer to one empty spool, then another and then finally onto the original reel.

5) Reel now loaded with the 3 colors of lead line on top, strip the lead core out of 1-2' of the lead-line. Then using your favorite braid to mono (or in this case, stripped lead-line to mono) knott tie a 60' top-shot of 6-12# flourocarbon.

That is basically it. I use the lead-line setup almost exclusivly for kokanee so I just attach a small snap to the end of the fluorocarbon top-shot to make changing dodgers easier. My reasoning for running only three colors of lead-line is; at 1.0-1.4 mph 3 colors is all you need. Infact using this approach I have snagged the bottom in 70' of water. It happened with just the 3 colors of lead-line in the water and none of the backing. Running just the 3 colors/braid combo allows you to load a fair amount of backing on smaller reels while reducing the overall weight."

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:14 am

rseas wrote:Chris, 2 or 3 years ago I posted this as a method for loading lead core on smaller reels. I hope that it helps.

"Appologies up front, I'm typing this on my smarter than me phone...

I often fish lead line but my approach is a bit differnt and kind of a phased setup.

1) On an empty reel tape the end of the lead-line on the spool and load three colors + a few feet of the lead-line on the spool then cut the lead-line saving the balance of the spool.

2) Remove the lead core from a foot or so of the loose end of the lead-line now on the reel.

3) Using a Double Uni Knott tie 20# braid of your choice on to the end of the stripped lead-line. Then fill the spool with the 20# braid. Cut the braid when the spool is full.

4) The PIA part; you will need two empty spools or a second empty reel of the same type/size. The goal is to load the braid/lead-line combo on the reel braid first. With the same reel as a second reel it is easy and you just load reel to reel. Otherwise you have to transfer to one empty spool, then another and then finally onto the original reel.

5) Reel now loaded with the 3 colors of lead line on top, strip the lead core out of 1-2' of the lead-line. Then using your favorite braid to mono (or in this case, stripped lead-line to mono) knott tie a 60' top-shot of 6-12# flourocarbon.

That is basically it. I use the lead-line setup almost exclusivly for kokanee so I just attach a small snap to the end of the fluorocarbon top-shot to make changing dodgers easier. My reasoning for running only three colors of lead-line is; at 1.0-1.4 mph 3 colors is all you need. Infact using this approach I have snagged the bottom in 70' of water. It happened with just the 3 colors of lead-line in the water and none of the backing. Running just the 3 colors/braid combo allows you to load a fair amount of backing on smaller reels while reducing the overall weight."
Wow! Now that was an interesting read.

I need another cup of coffee and a slide-rule before taking this on.

Just kidding, I think what you saying is that you feel 3 colors of lead are all you need, and you are splicing in braid to get a full spool of length to your augmented lead core setup. =D>
I’m not really sure I get the love for lead core... I see DR’s as bam! right on your depth target. Dypsey divers, lead core, everything else looks like a guessing game.
But I’m going to hook it up.
Thanks!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:39 am

We fish 8 1/2' - 9' rods so the 47-series Daiwas fit well. Leadcore is simple and eliminates need for downriggers, in fact, I remove the downriggers late September and we fish all winter long without them. Might not work where you plan to fish but this is a tried and true tactic on Roosevelt and I enjoy the simplicity. [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System