Lake Cavanaugh Fishing opportunities

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
FrostyAusty
Petty Officer

Lake Cavanaugh Fishing opportunities

Post by FrostyAusty » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 am

Hey y'all!

Was wondering if anyone has experience angling on Lake Cavanaugh? I'm going there for a weekend in May and will have access to a dock/ canoe/kayak. Nothing too crazy but have heard there are some big trout in the lake, as well as bass. It's my Fiance and I's Jack & Jill party (A combined bachelor/bachelorette party) because she decided she'd rather hang with the boys, drink beers and go fishing. [thumbsup] Anyways, was just curious what peoples experiences were on this lake and if the typical worm, powerbait, spinner/spoon type gear would work fine here.

Thanks in advance and Good luck out there!

Austin

rseas
Commander

Re: Lake Cavanaugh Fishing opportunities

Post by rseas » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:54 pm

Congratulations, excellent choice and sounds like you already have a great catch.

Lake Cavanaugh is a fun fishery in May. Rainbow, cutts and kokanee will all be active. The lake has a few monster rainbow, lots of skinny to nice cutthroat and a fair population of kokanee. Along with the usual 10-13" kokanee there may be some very nice size kokanee available this year.

Cavanaugh is typically a trolling show but every year some nice rainbows are caught off the docks using dough-baits or inflated nightcrawlers. A typical rig would be 6-8# mainline, a small egg sinker, swivel and then 2-4 feet of 2-4# leader. Basically grab a lawn chair, cast out and pick up the slack, crack open your favorite and wait for the big one while you enjoy the suroundings.

As previously mentioned; in my usually wrong opinion, the real Cavanaugh fishery is a trolling show. There are two distinctly different troll fisheries. One is for rainbow on the flats at the east end of the lake and the other is the deeper water fishery for cutthroat and kokanee.

When trolling the flats (east end or otherwise) I use a light, slow action rod and approximately 2" stick baits (Rapala type shallow running minnow baits). Basically tie the bait on the main line using an open loop knot and your ready to go. The fishery is simple, cast or run out 30-45 feet of line and slow troll. You'll be fishing in 4-10 or 12 feet of water and no one place is better than another. When you do find a fish keep working the area.

A personal note: I believe the rainbow fishery is a bit unique and there are some real bruisers swimming around. Although legal to harvest you may want to consider releasing the larger fish.

The other fishery, my favorite is more along the lines of a traditional kokanee fishery but you will be catching both cutthroat and kokanee. As with any kokanee fishery bring lots of gear and cycle through things until you have them figured out. Early season you can flat line or run a lead-line rig but by the end of June it will be a downrigger show. Flashers tend to out fish swing blades or gang trolls but when kokanee fishing there is no one guaranteed approach to success. As a casual observation; the quality of the Cavanaugh kokanee seems to be a bit better than some of the lower lakes. Firmer meat and no parasites is the norm.

I have pictures of some of our Cavanaugh fish but put this together on my phone and can't attach them. Read the different Cavanaugh reports for more information and pictures.

Now should I pass out relationship/marital advice? Probably not but again congratulations. Sounds like you have a good thing going; fishing, beer and a partner that enjoys both!

FrostyAusty
Petty Officer

Post by FrostyAusty » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:03 am

Thanks RSeas for the kind words and fishing advice! We're looking forward to this outing. I had heard about the big Rainbows in Cavanaugh from some people a while back but didn't have the opportunity to check out the lake until now. I typically C&R unless the fish swallows the bait or something along those lines, and if that happens it's fish for dinnertime. Thanks again for the tips and good luck in your angling adventures!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Don't forget to watch our video!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

FrostyAusty
Petty Officer

Post by FrostyAusty » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:30 am

Mike Carey wrote:Don't forget to watch our video!

Thanks Mike! I actually watched it yesterday, lots of good stuff there, really excited for this adventure.

FrostyAusty
Petty Officer

Post by FrostyAusty » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 am

Does anyone know what the bass opportunities are like on Lake Cavanaugh? I'm less familiar with Bass fishing but wanted to try it a bit more, and since we will be at the Lake for a couple of days. Thanks in advance and tight lines all!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:40 pm

the Index lists largemouth bass as present. No reports though.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:43 pm

That lake looks real bassy. I've scoped it out bidding work up there the last couple weeks. And I have a friend who has seen bass but couldnt get them to react. Water is really clear so I'm sure that makes them harder to catch. I may give it a shot in the summer once it warms up a bit. Either it's not great for bass fishing or its hush hush haha good luck if you try for em!

FrostyAusty
Petty Officer

Post by FrostyAusty » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:00 am

Sounds good thank you all! Lookin forward to it.