Lake Washington??

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
BowBrothers03
Angler

Lake Washington??

Post by BowBrothers03 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:27 pm

I'm looking into lakes in the Seattle and North of Seattle area with carp and I'm trying to take a trip to a lake to do some bowfishing. I see lake Washington in Seattle has carp but I haven't heard anything about being able to bowfish. If anyone knows if I can or cannot, or know a place in the area surrounding that one could do some good bow fishing please let me know! Thanks!

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Lake Washington??

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am

This comes up every now and then. You can bowfish carp in most lakes. Lake Washington included. You have to be careful with some (Greenlake for one) as people and the Parks people get excited about someone with a bow. I had a woman at Greenlake ask me if I was "Shooting the pretty fish". I told her "I only shoot the ugly ones..."
The WDFW told me "Any lake that is stocked by WDFW and others are legal to bowfish". Bowfishing is a legal form of fishing as outlined by the regs.
As far as area's in the big lake, both ends of the bridges in the swampier parts are good. Look for lilypads and the 'graybacks' will be sitting with their backs just above the surface when it is warm out. If you are in a boat, anchor upwind and slowly let out line until you are in shooting range. You can usually get a couple shots off before they spook. Then wait for awhile or reel in some anchor line, then release the line while you are still moving forward. You will drift back into a different spot and get a couple more shots. Keep your motors up to keep the crap off of them.
Now that I have spotlock I would try using that on a 1 or 2 to move around and see if they spook or if debris would clog up the prop. The anchor trick works good in any lake though. Particularly if there is even slight wind.
Over by UW I have seen some monster carp, but there again, people get excited when they see someone shooting a bow. Legal is one thing, trouble is another. State record is right around 50 lbs if I am not mistaken.
I have had some shoulder problems so my bow (Mathews Sportsman, Retriever Reel, Safety Slide arrows) has been idle for a while now. May have to go with a lighter bow. I have shot and collected carp with a 25 lb bow, you just have to be closer.
I eat carp, but not out of Lake Washington. Still too polluted for older fish that feed off the bottom. They are also a bit of a pain to clean because of the heavy scales. Most just let them be turtle food or chum with them. Dumping the remains on any salt water beach will attract birds and they will be gone in short order.
Happy Shooting!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am

Logboom Park, North end dock in Kenmore is full of carp. There is enough brushy area on the shoreline between entry to dock and shore, that I could see you aiming toward shoreline brush,rather than aiming toward people on dock, and less concerns with collateral damage, etc.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:50 am

I might add that if there are Asian or Russian folks fishing nearby they will often accept carp happily. They don't have the same 'fish snobbery' us Westerners have...

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Wed May 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Mouth of mercer slough, just outside of the newport shores boat launch. Lots of carp in the lily pads.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"