Fishing for deep trout with a drop rig

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Knucklebuster
Angler

Fishing for deep trout with a drop rig

Post by Knucklebuster » Sun May 23, 2021 3:45 pm

Hey, I'm looking for some insight here. I have a lake with steep topography that I want to bounce down. I'm thinking a drop rig might be the way to go to find some fish. No depth sounder to help. I've heard of using a slide weight held on the line with a split shot in case of snag and thought that could be a good way to go. Has anyone tried this before in this situation? I appreciate the feedback. Hope this posts, tried before with no luck.

jd39
Commander

Re: Fishing for deep trout with a drop rig

Post by jd39 » Mon May 24, 2021 2:52 pm

No reason it shouldn’t work. Give it a shot.
Wouldn’t worry about snags too much beyond having extra hooks, leader line and weights for when it happens.
Bigger issue, depending on how deep you’re talking, is having heavy enough weights to get down and stay fairly vertical as you drift.
Not enough weight and you’ll be drift trolling well off the bottom with a lot of line out and not fishing very effectively.
Good luck!

spokey9
Captain

Re: Fishing for deep trout with a drop rig

Post by spokey9 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:44 am

Only way to know for sure is to give it a shot, but there's no reason I see that it wouldn't work. Jigging a 2" buzzbomb would work well for that as well.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.