Trip Suggestions

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
sermak
Petty Officer

Trip Suggestions

Post by sermak » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:32 am

I will be visiting my son who lives in Kirkland from October 7 through October 11. He is new to the Seattle area. We are both experienced fisherman and have a wide variety of tackle and equipment. Since he and I have no experience fishing/hunting in Washington we are looking for some suggestions on where to go and what to target in Washington State during that time. We'd like to fish and do a pheasant hunt if possible. We're open to visiting both the West and the East sides of the state.

Any suggestions on locations to visit, species, lodging, guides, etc. from you Washington sportsmen would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

gpc
Admiral

RE:Trip Suggestions

Post by gpc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:50 am

The Potholes will be on FIRE durring that time. Great fishing. I am not to sure how bird seasons are, but there is a lot of public hunting w/ pheasant and all other water fowl/upland game.

Quincy will be the same way, fishing not as good but plenty of hunting areas. I have been going to the potholes for 20 years and quincy for 3 years, Ive seen more pheasant in quincy then the potholes.

In the same general area you can get in on some GREAT salmon fishing. The vernita bridge area on the columbia between vantage and yakima is stacked with kings. I dont know about pheasant, but there are plenty of quail.

Rufus woods would also be a safe bet. Awsome fishing. But again only have seen quail and grouse here, so I dont know for sure about the pheasant. I have heard about some good duck hunting too.

I have also seen quite a few pheasant on the way to wesport, about 20 min. out of town. The king/ silver fishing in the boat basin will be in full swing and crabbing is also good around this time. This is where I will be in 3 weeks.

But hunting isnt my thing, so make sure you check the regs for the seasons in these areas. If you want more info let me know

sermak
Petty Officer

Post by sermak » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks for your post gpc. I'm not sure what you mean by the potholes. Can you elaborate? What are they, where are they? What are you fishing for there? Thanks again.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:40 pm

Eastern Washington, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from Seattle.

Potholes Resevouir and all the small 'pothole' lakes around it and to the south of the lake.

Lots of bass, perch, walleye, trout, and such.

See the map;

http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp? ... A&zipcode=
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:47 pm

The potholes is over in central WA, 15 miles south of Moses Lake. There is Potholes Reservior wich is 26,000 acres, and then roughly 300 - 400 smaller "pothole" like lakes and ponds. The Reservoir has great trout fishing, bows going 10+ lbs, one of the states better walleye fisheries and ESPN ranked Potholes as the best all around bass lake in the state. There is a big resort on the resevior and they hold as many bass and walleye tournys that is legally permitted for a lake per year. There is also a great panfish fishery here as well. This year there is TONS of NICE perch in the lake, and the bass fishing has been awsome too. I couldnt really figure out the walleye on the resevior, but we did have luck on long lake (one of the smaller pothole) for wallleye. And they have been knocking the piss out of the trout there this year

sermak
Petty Officer

Post by sermak » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:06 pm

I took a look at the MarDon Resort website. Looks like they are located on the potholes res. Do you know anything about this place? Would you recommend it? Again, thanks for your help. This is exactly the type of information i am looking for.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:10 pm

Mardon is great. Camping and rooms also. Good boat launch and fishing dock. Tackle store and resturant [not in the same building lol ]. And a gas station.
Tom.

Interests: living

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:14 pm

sermak wrote:I took a look at the MarDon Resort website. Looks like they are located on the potholes res. Do you know anything about this place? Would you recommend it? Again, thanks for your help. This is exactly the type of information i am looking for.

Yes, this is a very nice place to stay. I stay at mardon almost once a month and will be there the weekend after next. A very nice resort that offers it all, a little pricy for accomedations, but if you go there you will get the off season rate. General store, Cafe, cocktail lounge, boat rentals, guide service, hotels, town houses. Nice resort

sermak
Petty Officer

Post by sermak » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:30 pm

OK. So it looks like we'll make Potholes a part of the trip. How about another suggestions then? Let's say we fished Potholes on Wed/Thur/Fri and maybe got in a bird hunt in the area while we are there. Any suggestions for where we could try for some salmon/steelhead on the way back heading West on Saturday? Or do you think this is trying to do too much in that amount of time? Maybe we should just back the potholes our base wed through sat and leave for seattle sun morning? Thanks again.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Its do able but might be a little too much. From I-90 you can be at Vernita bridge in less than a 1/2 hour, this is where the 20 -50lb kings are. Its a little out of the way but could be well worth it. Other than that I cant think of any options for salmon/ steelhead between seattle and the potholes other than the snoqualmie river. Cant help you withe the snoqualmie, never fished it. The potholes have kept me busy for 2 weeks straight, jsut fishing, so with you doing the cast n blast you should have no problem staying busy for 5 days
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sermak
Petty Officer

Post by sermak » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:49 pm

thanks again, i'll talk with my son tonight and we'll finalize our plans.

Are the small lakes around potholes fishable from float tubes? or do you need a boat?

Is the bridge you mention on the columbia river?

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Get out on the salt to try and hook into some big hooknosed coho's. Early October is a great time to pick up 10+ lb coho. Any charter should be able to put you on fish. I'd go with Gary Krein off All Star Charters if possible.

sermak
Petty Officer

Post by sermak » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks Blackmouth, what port is he out of?

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:47 pm

I'm not sure. Everett or Edmonds. Quick drive from Kirkland.

NW fishing charters and Tyee Charters are two more I would add to the list. I've heard nothing but positive things about them as well. I'm sure they all have websites that can provide you with more information.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:49 pm

sermak wrote:thanks again, i'll talk with my son tonight and we'll finalize our plans.

Are the small lakes around potholes fishable from float tubes? or do you need a boat?

Is the bridge you mention on the columbia river?
The potholes (also called the seep lakes) offer a little of everything. From hike in ponds, to lakes with boat launches, no gas power motor lakes, fly fish only, etc., etc., etc. If you stay at mar don they sell a nice map of the seep lake area. It list most of the lakes and what to expect from each lake. Seasons, species of fish, boat launch, hike in only etc. very helpful.

Vernta bridge is on the columbia