Camano Island Boat Launches and fees

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Dave
Commodore

Camano Island Boat Launches and fees

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Thanks to WALakes.com member SaltySeaDog I recently learned that Camano Island’s three county owned and maintained parks complete with boat launches are now charging a fairly steep launch fee to non Camano Island residents. So I decided to see for myself and post the information for everyone to either save you a trip or prepare you for the sticker shock prior to your arrival.

I first visited the two county parks located on the north tip of Camano Island. They are; Utsalady Point County Park and Maple Grove County Park. I found what looked like recently posted signs that outline the new launch fees which are as follows: Camano Island residents $5.00 and non residents $15.00. The sign says “daily pass” so I believe that means per day. An annual boat launch pass for Camano Island residents is $30.00 and for non residents it’s $90.00. All three of the county parks accept cash only which is good to know in advance. In addition, the launch fee permit envelope requires your vehicle license plate number and home zip code which will make it easy for ICSO to mail any non Camano Island resident not paying the non-resident launch fee a $125.00 ticket when they run the launch user’s vehicle license number it doesn’t return to a Camano Island address. I also believe based on my experience that ICSO will conduct periodic checks of the launch parking lot to confirm vehicles in the lot match up with the information they provided on their fee envelope. Utsalady Point Park’s launch is very primitive and the cement portion of the ramp looks to be about 20 feet long before sand appears. I’m guessing this launch would limit launching trailered boats to higher tides. Maple Grove Launch offers a much longer cement launch and although its narrow it provides launching opportunities for trailered boats during much lower tides which is a bonus.

Next I visited the third and final county park with a public boat launch called Cavalaro County Park. This park faces west in to Port Susan and the launch pad is fairly long allowing access to trailered boats during moderate low tides but I don’t believe the ramp is as long as the one at Maple Grove. NOTE: An option to access Port Susan is Kayak Point County Park located in Snohomish County’s Warm Beach area. From everything I read on their web site this park has a $5.00 parking fee which I believe covers launching privileges and day use areas.

Lastly I went to Camano Island State Park which is the furthest launch on the island but it’s also the least expensive to non residents. My Garmin Nuvi said it was 9.8 miles from the Arco gas station in west Stanwood to the State Park but I thought it was further. The launch fee at Camano Island State Park is $7.00 for everyone. This launch hosts two docks with the cement ramp in between them. Although this launch is very nice, I found it to be narrow because of the two relatively new docks which can become hectic when it’s busy, especially during crab season. There is no designated launch and removal sides to this launch so when everyone is putting in, those who are waiting to remove their boat may be in for a frustrating wait. JMO based on my personal experience. To the north of the main launch is a small craft launch which allows those with small car toppers to walk their boats right down to the water. This small craft launch is in the launches horseshoe staging area so getting to it with your pickup when the launch is busy might be a challenge. I am not sure if the $7.00 launch fee applies to the small craft launch but I am guessing it does.

I apologize for the long post. I just thought it would be helpful to provide detailed information to everyone who uses or plans on using Camano Island’s county parks to launch their boats. Good luck this crab and fishing season to all.
Attachments
Camano_Island_State_Park_Launch_3_Small.jpg
Camano_Island_State_Park_Launch_3_Small.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 9287 times
Camano_Island_State_Park_Launch_2_Small.jpg
Camano_Island_State_Park_Launch_2_Small.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 9290 times
Camano_Island_State_Park_Launch_1_Small.jpg
Camano_Island_State_Park_Launch_1_Small.jpg (36.84 KiB) Viewed 9315 times
Cavalaro_County_Park_Launch_3_Small.jpg
Cavalaro_County_Park_Launch_3_Small.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 9305 times
Cavalaro_County_Park_Launch_1_Small.jpg
Cavalaro_County_Park_Launch_1_Small.jpg (35.64 KiB) Viewed 9307 times
Maple_Grove_Launch_1_Small.jpg
Maple_Grove_Launch_1_Small.jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 9307 times
Maple_Grove_Launch_2_Small.jpg
Maple_Grove_Launch_2_Small.jpg (51.94 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
Utsalady_Point_Park_1_Small.jpg
Utsalady_Point_Park_1_Small.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 9307 times
Utsalady_Point_Park_3_Small.jpg
Utsalady_Point_Park_3_Small.jpg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saltyseadog
Commander

RE:Camano Island Boat Launches and fees

Post by saltyseadog » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm

goin up to 30 next year for non residence talk to commissioner shawnassy
fish on!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks Dave for this info. Time to buy a 12' alum to haul in to crab.With a lighter smaller boat I can launch and road park because no trailer needed.The fee is to park there only i'm assuming. So if I launch and park elsewhere Id be fee free?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:51 pm

At Camano Island State Park there is no day use or parking fee which is great because I use it often for cardio. There is a "donation" box available for anyone who wants to make a park donation. I believe if a person uses the launch they are expected to pay the $7.00 launch fee. According to the sign at the launch, those staying in a camp site at the State Park are exempt from the launch and dump fee. If you have beach rights at any of the private beaches on the island, unless there are special rules, I’ll bet you could utilize one of them with a 12’ row boat and launch for free. I believe that’s the case for those with beach rights to the Country Club.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:51 pm

hey rac......
another thing i learned is make sure that 12' row boat has numbers and tabs.... i didnt know a planter box needed tabs :-& i watched a guy launch his boat get back in his rig and park his truck and trl. as he was walking back to his boat a sherriff handed him a seatbelt ticket#-o cops on camano really need somthin to do:-" :dwarf:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fish on!

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:29 pm

saltyseadog wrote:as he was walking back to his boat a sherriff handed him a seatbelt ticket#-o cops on camano really need somthin to do:-" :dwarf:
God forbid they actually fight crime on that island. Isn't that the place where some interstate barefoot bandid started. Glad they got their money out of seatbelts and stuff.

Anyhow...On to my point!

I'm not real familiar with the island but if you're going to be on any part of the east sided of the island, it's only about a 3 mile run from Kayak Point.
2000 Lund WC16, 1997 Suzuki DT15C
Boat modification thread: https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 61#p141161

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:32 am

Actually there isn't a lot of crime on the island which isn't why the Deputies and law enforcement officers in general, stop violators and write tickets. They do it because it’s part of their job. God forbid everyone actually obey the law. It's not an officer's fault when someone breaks the law. It's kind of like disciplining our children. In most households rules and standards are set in place for children to follow and if they don't follow them there are consequences. The child doesn't like the disciplinary action and often blames the parent for their enforcement action for example taking something away or grounding the child, which wouldn't have occurred if the child had obeyed mom and dad's rules. It’s not mom and dad’s fault the child is disobedient, it’s the child’s.

I struggle with anyone who has something negative to say about an officer who is doing his or her job unless they do it unlawfully or unethically. We do a very thankless and dangerous job and often risk our lives for the same person who gave us crap for writing them a ticket after they broke the law. I guess it’s about respect, and about taking responsibility for our actions, including my own. If I break the law, I take full responsibility for my actions and expect to be disciplined for it.

*** Lastly, I mean no disrespect to anyone reading this. I simply support the police, not the violator who doesn’t take responsibility for his or her actions. I also know that no one meant any disrespect to me.

Moving on; A 12’ boat doesn’t need to be registered as long as it is not propelled by machinery (a motor) over 10 hp and is not used in federal waters.

Here is the law:

RCW 88.02.030 Exceptions from vessel registration -- Use of excess document identification fee for boating safety programs -- Rules.

Vessel registration is required under this chapter except for the following:

(7) Vessels under sixteen feet in overall length which have no propulsion machinery of any type or which are not used on waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States or on the high seas beyond the territorial seas for vessels owned in the United States and are powered by propulsion machinery of ten or less horsepower.

(8) Vessels with no propulsion machinery of any type for which the primary mode of propulsion is human power.

I hope this information helps, maybe saves you a few bucks. Have a great day everyone. Time to gear up for some more crabbing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 am

Dave,

I’m sorry that what I stated came out the way it did. I too respect law enforcement and have some very close friends that are deputies and police officers. They do a tough job that gets much less respect than it deserves.

Although that driver was in the wrong for not wearing his seatbelt, I still feel it was a very opportunistic ticket to write. I do realize a law enforcement officer has a job to do; but, is everything in this world so black and white that no one has common sense? Maybe a reminder would have been better suited in that case. If it is so black and white, if that driver didn’t have a trash bag in his vehicle shouldn’t he have been ticketed for that too? Or, if someone is hauling cans to the recycler, shouldn’t they be charged with multiple counts of open containers in the vehicle?
2000 Lund WC16, 1997 Suzuki DT15C
Boat modification thread: https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 61#p141161

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:52 am

[quote="Dave"]
Moving on]

Dave, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I just want to expand on this for those who are unaware as it is seems to be a very confounding topic generally. The Sound is considered federal waters as well as Lake Union, Lake Washington, and Lake Sammamish (to name a few). In that regard it is my understanding that any vessel powered by a motor, electric or internal combustion, regardless of horsepower, is required to be registered. Human powered and under 16' are exempt. The 10hp rule only applies to boats on non-federal waters.
FWIW.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:13 am

To echo what Bentrod mentioned. Any motorized boat operating on federal waters needs to be registered. Further, any boat longer than 14', human, wind or mechanically powered, also requires registration if operated on Federal Waters.

If enforcement wanted to, they could write citations for this regulation all day and night during the Summer months.

PS - Thanks for the pics and info Dave!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:46 am

I obey the laws and respect them. Id sure hate to be a cop anywhere but I give them alot of credit wherever they serve.When I see donation boxes I generally put something in.I'm no freeloader or cheapskate.I like to leave a good feeling for the folks around me and the folks who own wtrft property.Its just my way of life.I have my moments!!!! Besides I dont like to jeprodize my property boat and truck.What comes around ,goes around.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:38 pm

I prefer my Utsilay launch. Although as far a law enforcement goes they were no where to be found for the opening of crab season. Day 1, pots picked mercilessly by poachers. Day 2 limit of ten and day 3 limit of ten.

Dave, you were looking at the Utsilady launch with a rather low tide. It's usually no problem to launch there (someone elses boat). I normally just use my RR tracks.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Whidbeyfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Whidbeyfisherman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Is the term "resident" refering to a resident of Camano Island, or to a resident of Island County as they are Island County parks and the fee is being collected by the county. I couldn't find the signs directly refering to residents of Camano..

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:00 pm

dave, i hate to say it but a officer writing a seatbelt ticket at the boat launch is someone obliviously on a power trip, or pissed off he aint out out crabin on opening day... sorry [quote="Dave"]Actually there isn't a lot of crime on the island which isn't why the Deputies and law enforcement officers in general, stop violators and write tickets. They do it because it’s part of their job. God forbid everyone actually obey the law. It's not an officer's fault when someone breaks the law. It's kind of like disciplining our children. In most households rules and standards are set in place for children to follow and if they don't follow them there are consequences. The child doesn't like the disciplinary action and often blames the parent for their enforcement action for example taking something away or grounding the child, which wouldn't have occurred if the child had obeyed mom and dad's rules. It’s not mom and dad’s fault the child is disobedient, it’s the child’s.

I struggle with anyone who has something negative to say about an officer who is doing his or her job unless they do it unlawfully or unethically. We do a very thankless and dangerous job and often risk our lives for the same person who gave us crap for writing them a ticket after they broke the law. I guess it’s about respect, and about taking responsibility for our actions, including my own. If I break the law, I take full responsibility for my actions and expect to be disciplined for it.

*** Lastly, I mean no disrespect to anyone reading this. I simply support the police, not the violator who doesn’t take responsibility for his or her actions. I also know that no one meant any disrespect to me.

Moving on]
fish on!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied. :)

Clark, no worries and no hard feelings at all. After 22 years enforcing the law I have a hard time when I hear or read negative comments in general about law enforcement officers so thank you for your understanding and your support. As far writing a seat belt ticket goes, we all have officer desecration so no we don't have to issue a ticket and few things in our business are consistantly black and white except probable cause which is absolutely black and white meaning without it, in this case the traffic stop doesn't get made. Often times a decision to write a ticket is based on the demeanor of the violator. If someone is argumentative or disrespectful, we have to assume that voluntary compliance isn’t likely going to be achieved with that violator meaning the stop and a warning will likely not change the violator’s driving behavior. Who knows how the guy acted or what he had to say when he was contacted by the Deputy. Some officers feel strongly about the seat belt law and don't give warnings. This is usually the case after going to a fatal collision where seat belts weren't worn, so I can understand that train of thought as well. The Deputy could also be assigned to a traffic Unit which means they write tickets and rarely give a warning, at least that’s how it is where I work. Oh, and I believe that the litter bag law is gone if I'm not mistaken. I searched the RCW’s for it and couldn’t find it but I could be wrong. The laws change very often so it’s hard even for us to keep up with all of them. I can’t imagine being a civilian and trying to keep up on all the traffic and general laws.

BentRod, you are correct about the lakes you mentioned and I am sure there are other large lakes in our State where boat registration is required regardless of size or engine hp. I just wanted to try to keep it simple. I also did mention / include the exception to the law in federal waters, its in the sentence following "moving on:" You are on the money my friend. Good job.

G-Man, you are also right on about the Federal Waters part of the registration requirements. And you are very welcome about the pics. I just wanted to give everyone the info so they didn't drive all the way here and see they had to pay 15.00. I'd be angry if that happened to me so I wanted to help out of I could. Anyway, thanks for your kind words.

Rac, thanks man, much appreciated.

Bodo, is that your boat I see in the pic? If it is, you are a lucky guy!!! I haven't had any issues with low tides at Maple Grove but the Utsalady Point launch which I haven’t used appeared to be sand after about 20 feet. Is the cement launch actually longer? I should have looked closer. If it's longer let me know and I will edit the original post information. Or I can just go check it during low tide here soon. As for no enforcement on the crab opener, I’m not surprised with the county budget being so poor and WDFW doesn’t have the man power either. I do know that WDFW conducted an emphasis in this area last Saturday (I’m unable to disclose the location) and several arrests were made and several citations and infractions were issued. Unfortunately the waterways in our State are far too large to receive decent law enforcement coverage. Thanks much.

Whidbey, I guess I took the sign to mean Camano Island residents but I’m honestly not sure. That would be a good question to ask an ICSO Sergeant or a Deputy. It might mean any Island County resident which would make sense. I am guessing this law was put in place to reduce the huge number of “visitors” these launches get during peak crab and salmon seasons not to mention summer time boating as well.

Thanks again to everyone.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Now that you mention it. I have never seen police or any game officials at the north end of Camano.Ive been there for years.Once last year Island county Police came by to warn me of crab stealing going on. They were very nice and extremly polite. I like those encounters with L E.One question I do have is there crabbing at the Camano state park launch? My boat isnt very big and I'm a lil short on guts during rougher water days.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey Rac,

There is absolutely crabbing at Camano Island State Park. There is even a small craft launch (see picture above) if someone with a small boat would rather just walk it down to the water. Lots of folks set their gear right in front of the State Park beach so you could easily launch and set some gear.

I haven't crabbed there this year but if today’s crabbing trip is any indication of how crabbing will be here around the Island, I am guessing it's not going to be easy limits. This morning we crabbed 2 very popular spots on North Camano Island and we had to work hard for 4 hours to get 15 keepers. We saw abundant numbers of under sized males and lots of females which is a classic indication that Tribal and Commercial crabbers have already crabbed the area hard.

Allowing Commercial and Tribal crabbers to crab a month before the general sports crab season opens has been going on for about 5 or 6 years now resulting in far fewer keepers for the public to catch. Before the State of Washington decided to allow Tribal and Commercial crabbers to crab a month before the public crab season opened, it took about an hour for everyone on a boat to get a limit of very big keepers. Now when Tribal and or Commercial crabbers crab before the season opens to the rest of us, it's often an all day effort just to get a limit. I think they didn’t like competing with the public for crab so they complained to the State who caved in and started allowing them first crack at the crab.

I’m sure the opportunity to catch a limit of crab around Camano Island exists; there just aren't huge numbers of keepers so you have to work for them setting gear and trying different spots until you get your limit. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck.