Personal Pontoon Boat Fishing

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
mrem27
Angler

Personal Pontoon Boat Fishing

Post by mrem27 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello,
I moved to Vancouver a year ago and have been testing the local rivers from the bank (Lewis N and E fork, Kalama, Washugal) and have heard of a lot of people using one man pontoon boats on rivers like these as well as the Cowlitz. I grew up fishing the Cow from a 22 ft sled and have never considered taking a pontoon onto it. I own a 9ft Colorado XT pontoon boat without a trolling motor and I am wondering if anyone has seen this size on the Cow or any of the other rivers or if they have used this size on any of the rivers? I know it is too small to be messing around on the Columbia but are the currents and ripples/rapids tame enough on the other rivers for it? I have had it on the Spokane River below the Post Falls dam during summer flows 1700 cfs - 2200 cfs but nothing higher than that. I do have a 3.5 pound anchor for it which holds well in lakes and 2200cfs flow but I know the Cow gets a lot higher flows than that. Any helps and tips are greatly appreciated. Also, always on the lookout for fishing buddies.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Personal Pontoon Boat Fishing

Post by Mike Carey » Wed May 23, 2012 4:19 pm

check out the videos we did this winter on the Wynoochee, Skykomish, and Cowlitz. The two pontoons were 11 ft and I thinnk Gringo's is 9 foot (not certain). The rivers are fine as long as you know what you're doing. The bigger risk is of course the jet boat drivers. We had no issues on the Cow, which gets pretty busy sometimes.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

mrem27
Angler

Post by mrem27 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Mike, I watched your videos, that is what got me thinking but your pontoons looked alot bigger than mine so I wasn't sure... In terms of knowing what I am doing... well I would love to say I do but not on big rivers, the spokane river is alittle bigger than the east fork of the lewis and that is the biggest I have been on. I am always up for a new experience and can handle most things... growing up we fished the Cow from the I-5 bridge down and it was even hairy sometimes in a 22ft sled. I have never seen it by blue creek other than your videos. Thank You for your input.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed May 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I wouldn't take the Colorado out on the Cowlitz. It's a little small for that. I bet it could do the Wynoochee just fine, smaller rivers would be better suited. I just don't know if something that small would be completely safe and all it takes is one tip over for you to be toast. But I wouldn't be afraid to take it out on non-technical water with no whitewater. I used to float rivers in a 2 man Walmart raft when I was a kid.

mrem27
Angler

Post by mrem27 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:38 pm

So maybe a low flow north Lewis or kalama should be ok with my Colorado but you would say too hairy for even up by blue creek?what size would you recommend for the Cow?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 am

JUST my opinions/oberservations...
Mine (the black & yellow one) on the video is 10.6' cat with 21" diameter pontoons. I like sitting higher in the water with the bigger diameter pontoons - stuff comes up on you faster than you think floating the river and I like being higher up to see it coming. I would be worried that being closer to the water would limit the ability to see what's coming up (rock,log, etc.) Another thing is the wind - on a smaller river (like the nooch) the wind is an annoyance, but managable. The one trip on the Cow was like a carnival ride - wind gusts spun me like a top.

I did a DB trip on the Wynoochie last winter, poured rain the whole day, the river rose 1'+ while we were on it. I saw a couple guys in 8 or 9' kick pontoons like the Colorado, made me pucker just watching them fly down that river in high water.

I had a Colorado for a coupel weeks before I sold it, never tried it on a river, but after running rivers is my current one, I don't think I would be confortable on one with it, especially the Cow.

There is another person on this site that goes by the name of Jens, I know he has a smaller scale (I think) 10' toon that he has taken on the Nooch and Cow. If he doesn't weigh in here, you might pm him.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu May 24, 2012 5:00 pm

OK, my boat is 13 ft foot then. I agree, the Colorado toon looks to be too low to the water.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon May 28, 2012 6:33 am

My suggestion is to be extremely careful using an anchor in current. (not really recommended) If the anchor get hung up on the bottom, some currents can suck your boat right under. I would suggest that you carry a quick access knife. If you get your anchor stuck and the current starts to take you under, be ready to cut your losses (anchor rope) and count your blessings.