Help W/ trolling motor size for my boat

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
KitsapJohn
Petty Officer

Help W/ trolling motor size for my boat

Post by KitsapJohn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 am

Im looking to buy a electric tiller trolling motor for my 14 foot smokercraft. I dont want to over power ( if thats possible) but more so dont want to under power. I will be using it for trout, bass and a walleye trip or two so something that can handle a windy day on the lake. I do have a 15 hp merc as the main power. Thanks for your help and inputs

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Re: Help W/ trolling motor size for my boat

Post by bassplayer17 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:49 pm

30# to 40# thrust will do the job...Ive got a 55# tiller and a 43# bow mount on my 14 lowe....
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:11 pm

There is nothing worse than being under powered and fighting to get back to the launch.
40LB- 50LB minimum , Ive owned 36Lb, 43Lb, 48LB, 55LB. Used on 10 and 14 foot boats.

Minn Kota with digital maximizer, conserves power, keeps you on the water longer and
gives you full variable speed, this is not a 5 speed motor. Best motor for trolling.
Cast first, worry later.

KitsapJohn
Petty Officer

Post by KitsapJohn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks guys

Adam B.
Petty Officer

Post by Adam B. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:48 pm

I second that on finding one that has variable speeds on it so you can find that perfect trolling speed for the day. I too have tried a 22lbs model I got years ago with just two speeds. I used it on a 8ft to 10ft inflatable originaly and it worked just fine. Tried using it on my 16ft aluminum and I have to keep it on high almost all the time. With any wind, you can't get much accompished either. I am too looking for something bigger and with vaiable speed.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:46 pm

spindog wrote:There is nothing worse than being under powered and fighting to get back to the launch.
40LB- 50LB minimum , Ive owned 36Lb, 43Lb, 48LB, 55LB. Used on 10 and 14 foot boats.

Minn Kota with digital maximizer, conserves power, keeps you on the water longer and
gives you full variable speed, this is not a 5 speed motor. Best motor for trolling.

I was going to recommend a 50 also. If you need less power you don't have to crank the motor on full but if its a smaller motor and you need more "juice" you can't crank the handle past 100%. 55lb might be the biggest motor you can get and still run one battery. I'd go with that.

KitsapJohn
Petty Officer

Post by KitsapJohn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Im sold, after work Im going looking. looked on CL and really didnt see much as 50's. again thanks guys

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:43 pm

I too have a 14' Alum. as my electric trolling moter, I run a Min Kota 55lb thrust motor. These are nice motors for the sleepy little quiet crawl/troll, late at night on some Eastern WA. lake when there is no wind, etc. But beyond that I am happier to troll on my 25 hp Merc. I can get it down to about 1.5mph, depending on the chop.
The 55lb Min Kota can't beat when the conditions are perfect, but when they are not, I find it to be a door stop.
You do really though, benefit from both. conditions will be on either side of the coin, and make you wish you could go with either one, depending. :-"

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:21 am

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

Adam B.
Petty Officer

Post by Adam B. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:48 am

I have used my motor in the salt for the last three years now with no extra wear that I have noticed. I use it when flying into Stuart Island for a weekend trip. It gets us from the dock by Stuart east to the county dock on the west side. I do make sure I wash it really well after I get back and "force" myself to do a fishing trip on a freshwater lake also to make sure it gets the salt out. My motor is probably 15 years old or more. I would think if you were wanting it to be a trolling motor constantly used in the salt, I would go for the Riptide models. Otherwise I would just put your own anode and wash it afterwards.

KitsapJohn
Petty Officer

Post by KitsapJohn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:30 am

Pulled the trigger lastnight. I found a Minn kota 42" 50 lb at Walmart for under $200, now just the battery. Again thanks guys for the inputs.

kokanee_slayer
Petty Officer

Post by kokanee_slayer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 am

Pulled the trigger lastnight. I found a Minn kota 42" 50 lb at Walmart for under $200, now just the battery. Again thanks guys for the inputs.
Congrats on the new Trolling Motor!!! Just something to keep in mind if you purchased the Minn kota with the Digital Maximizer technology:
They are great units however, if you operate a Fish Finder off of the same battery, you may pick up interference on your finder. I had this issue on my previous boat and after some research, decided the best way to remedy the situation was to purchase a small 12 volt battery solely for the Fish Finder. If memory serves, Cabela's sells them, with a charger, for around $30.00

KitsapJohn
Petty Officer

Post by KitsapJohn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 am

Good to know, thanks

GCB069
Petty Officer

Post by GCB069 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:01 am

Call Interstate batter you may get a Blum for almost 1/2 off I got a G24 D/C for like $54 and I still can't find the blum...

KitsapJohn
Petty Officer

Post by KitsapJohn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Thank you for the info. just have a few more "tune ups" to the boat and gear and to the water!!! thanks again guys for the help. I better get hot and try to get some "club " sticker posted.