Trouble with 9.9 Honda, 2007

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
walleygator77
Angler

Trouble with 9.9 Honda, 2007

Post by walleygator77 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:39 am

Asking for help in identifing problem with my 2007 9.9 Honda running for long periods of time,have taken it to several shops and they all tell me there is nothing wrong with it and have spent hundreds of dollars so far. I don't want to get rid of it, I just want it fixed because when it is running it runs quiet and so smooth. Here is what it continues to do, It will start right up and run at a slow trolling speed for 10 minutes and then will cut out, then with one pull will start back up and run for about another 10 minutes and cut out again and will continue to do this while I am out fishing (very frustrating) ](*,) , I have changed the plugs, had the carberator rebuilt , changed the fuel filter and changed the fittings on my gas tank to new ones and had the fuel pump looked at and tested (OKAY they said) , does anyone have any advise on what I should do next or had something similar happen to them? PLEASE HELP!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Trouble with 9.9 Honda, 2007

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:56 am

what town do you live in? Olympia? What shops have you taken it to? Someone that lives down there will have to tell what other shops that might be able to help.

Maybe check all fuel filters, and all ignition connections. And check if any fuel lines to see if they are collapsing and starving the engine of fuel, or if the fuel line has been damaged internally by the bad ethanol fuel. Same for the tank vent/vent line/cap.
Tom.

Interests: living

walleygator77
Angler

Post by walleygator77 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:18 pm

I live in Spokane WA and have taken it numerous times to the only Honda dealer and repair shop in Spokane that works on Honda motors, they just scratch their heads and can't figure it out and they keep charging me every time for some thing new they have replaced but haven't fixed my problem, again very frustrating!! They advised me to buy a new tank and I did that to no avail, problem still thier, have replaced all filters to no avail, vent on new gas tank works great just can't figure out why it will run for 10 minutes and just cut out, ( No warning either, just straight cuts out), but will immediately start again with one pull??? ](*,)

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:15 pm

http://forums.iboats.com/honda-tohatsu- ... 10230.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forums.iboats.com/Yamaha-Outboards/Cuts-Out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=At ... =yfp-t-286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

rusty
Petty Officer

Post by rusty » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Im not 100% sure but I think hondas use a low oil pressure protection system. Maybe your oil pressure is dropping or sensor is going bad and making engine shut down @ low idle.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:50 pm

If you have all that done definitely sounds like a electrical problem that is happening under stress and maybe just running it at a shop isn't allowing it to happen.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 pm

The Mercury 25 hp I had did the same thing at idle when i first got it.... Run great for 10-15 min trolling at idle, but then just shut down, but start right back up. Mine was a fuel issue.... Hope you find someone who can take it out a see first hand what is happening...

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:27 am

walleygator77 wrote:I live in Spokane WA and have taken it numerous times to the only Honda dealer and repair shop in Spokane that works on Honda motors, they just scratch their heads and can't figure it out and they keep charging me every time for some thing new they have replaced but haven't fixed my problem, again very frustrating!! They advised me to buy a new tank and I did that to no avail, problem still thier, have replaced all filters to no avail, vent on new gas tank works great just can't figure out why it will run for 10 minutes and just cut out, ( No warning either, just straight cuts out), but will immediately start again with one pull??? ](*,)
I live near you, and before I recommend a shop, which ones have you taken your motor to?
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

walleygator77
Angler

Post by walleygator77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:29 am

Thank You to everyone that has replied, I am very greatful and appreciative of your advice and will get back to you after I check the following solutions you have suggested and the shop that I have taken it to is "The Boat Shop". =D>

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Walley, one more really stupid suggestion.

I have seen this happen twice, once to me (felt so stupid) and once to a friend, so ........ maybe I can help. Probably not, but ....... the test is free. :-"

The 9.9 has a portable tank, and portable tanks have an air vent in the lid. As you run the motor, it consumes gas and that requires air to be drawn into the tank or you will develop a vacuum which prevents the fuel from flowing. Does that sound familiar? As you know, you are suppose to open the gas vent on the lid before operating the boat.

In my case, I had a bad gasket and it was plugging the air vent even after I opened it. Once I took the cap off the tank the motor ran great. Got me through the day of fishing and I replaced the gasket before the next day.

On the other guys boat, the air return on his built in tank got an insect stuck during the winter and that one took a smart mechanic to figure it out. Again, all that was required to confirm it was to run the motor with the gas tank cap open.

This might not be the problem, but again the check is free. Good luck and hope you find the problem soon, and at low cost. Troubleshooting can feel like ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:18 am

H and S Marine at 6622 N Perry has done very well for me over the years. There not the cheapest in town but I have never had anything in their shop twice for the same problem.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:25 am

Lake City Marine gets my business and they're the only shop in the Spokane/Couer d'Alene area I'll let touch my motors.

Being The Boat Shop is the only certified Honda outboard dealer in Spokane, they should have been able to address your problem. Really surprised they weren't able to resolve the issue.

Good luck in finding the problem. Be sure to post back so folks know what the final outcome was. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

rhodes19
Petty Officer

Post by rhodes19 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:26 pm

I've had the same problem with my 9.9 Merc 4 stroke. felt like a dummy as it was a closed vent on the tank. I've worked in outboards since 1967. Easy to forget. I only close my vent while towing in the rain.

walleygator77
Angler

Post by walleygator77 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Well I think I have narrowed it down to a bad impeller, at low speed like trolling after running 5 minutes water coming out pee hole so hot you cannot touch it and barely coming out , but when running at high speed water coming through pee hole very cool and coming out strong ran for 3hrs straight without dying, I suppose I should have checked this first but didn't. #-o Honda must have some sort of sensor that causes the engine to guite running if it gets to hot, so I will change the impeller and let you all know what happens, again thanks to all of you for your advice and maybe this will be helpful to someone else. =D>

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Thu May 15, 2014 10:00 pm

I would think there'll be some sort of audible heating alarm on that motor, no?

Btw, when was that impeller last replaced?

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri May 16, 2014 5:20 am

Doesn't have to be an impeller issue. I had an 8 horse Johnson doing the same thing, it just had crud stuck in the thermostat preventing good water flow. You may be able to check your thermostat without too much hassel as they are usually mounted in the engine compartment.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri May 16, 2014 8:09 am

G-Man wrote:Doesn't have to be an impeller issue. I had an 8 horse Johnson doing the same thing, it just had crud stuck in the thermostat preventing good water flow. You may be able to check your thermostat without too much hassel as they are usually mounted in the engine compartment.
If anyone goes so far as to remove the thermostat, it's a good idea to replace it with one for this area. They all come from the mfg with a tropical thermostat that's basically open all the time. If I remember right, they're like 120 degrees. If you run the kicker in the winter it's nice to have a little hot water off it for washing your hands.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

walleygator77
Angler

Post by walleygator77 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Just thought you all would want to know what I found out about my Hondan 9.9 ?? It was the impeller [thumbup] took apart and their was only two blades out of the six left on impeller #-o , got it all back together ran for 10hrs straight at low trolling speed and didnt cut out once =D> , Honda does have a feature that will cause the engine to stop running if it gets to hot, thank God it didnt hurt the engine [thumbsup] after all the work that was done and all the money i dished out to the supposedly boat repair places finally figures out myself and it cost me only 29.00 and a little 3 week wait for the impeller to get here after it was ordered from Japan, no impeller for this motor and year in the whole United States of America, #-o all i got to say is "Whats up with that" [confused] , Again thanks to all of you for your much appreciated advice and experince. Now I look foward to Salmon Season its goin to be a GOOD ONE!!

rusty
Petty Officer

Post by rusty » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Glad to see you are up and runing. Ill probably see you out there chasing salmon as i will be too!