boat pricing

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
sickbayer
Commodore

boat pricing

Post by sickbayer » Sat May 17, 2014 10:01 am

I stopped by 3rivers marine yesterday as I saw an ad for a aluminum intruder 21' OB 36k they wanted for it! It was a 06 and looked like a 86 I'm mean nasty. Couldn't believe someone would part there hard earned money for a used boat that look terrible. But wait there's more.
He should me another one this time, a 22'er same make and model had 225yam on it it was an 07. $42k now if this boat was spotless I'd might have been tempted as it was a good size lots of dance room, suspension seats. Except it was in even worse condition than the 21'. Talk about dock rash, I've never seen sides of a boat like it. All the gunnel paint at stern was bubbling. All side carpet decayed, duel winddow wipers ready to break as they're rusted. As the trailer even been serviced they didn't know. Had anything been taking of care nobody knew.

I actually liked the boat but my personal view is if it looks good it will probably have been mechanically maintained too and to that if i had bought that i wouldve ended up stripping it of its paint and redoing with vinyl or paint, ripping out all the molded carpet which would cost me more money and time. I'm a kinda of person just likes to take care of things I spend my hard earned money on.
I don't think its a buyers market, but the used boats are not much cheaper than new when it comes to aluminum boats. Its nuts in the amount of boat you get with fiberglass compared to them.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/4437826271.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just to compare , I think its a fair comparison as this boat is a well used boat but in great condition yet 10k cheaper also leaves room for a repower.
This is a bit of a rant just frustrated in the whole process of boat buying.
If I could find a bare hull I'd be tempted to buy it and kit it out the way I want for a lot less.
Anyways peeps fish on when possible!

chongo469
Commander

Re: boat pricing

Post by chongo469 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:41 pm

For 1 , you are dealing with a dealership...... Dave Lee, the owner of 3 rivers is a good guy, but a business man and prices thing a little crazy sometimes. If you are willing to travel, take a look in AK or even the mid west... i found some screaming deals on boats that looked real good and were priced well.... You are correct when ranting about prices and how boats look... Definite sellers market right now, and I dont know why...

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat May 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Hang on I'm not complaining about 3rivers as they can do what they want they have done no wrong to me. They must do good business as they sell a lot of boats. I won't be buying from them as its my choice, its jut business after all.
sales man told me they hadn't done anything to the 22' and didn't plan on it. It definitely is a sellers market for sure and I've no idea why either.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Oh No, i didnt take it as you saying anything bad about 3 rivers.... Its very frustrating looking for a boat..... Agree 100%..... Ive thought Dave had things priced a little whacky many times.... Its all about supply and demand

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:45 pm

You might consider checking out Verles out near Shelton. Its a bit of a drive, but Ive found they have pretty reasonable pricing on new and used boats when we have shopped there. My bros and I bought our last two boats from them based mostly on price.

In March we picked up a new Smokercraft Phantom 202 with a Yam 115 for $29K out the door. We checked several dealers in Silverdale, Bremerton, Tacoma and Olympia and they had the best deal over all.

Nice folks to deal with. I recommend them.

They have a listing on line and advertise on Craigs List.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat May 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Ya I will check then out. Off topic but what do you think of the phantom?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:44 pm

We love it. I should add that this is our first "Northwest style" welded aluminum boat and the first one we ever bought new. Both of those things add to the pleasure :)

Prior to this we had a 18 ft Sea Nymph with a riveted hull and a 1986 evenrude 70 that always seemed to need fiddling. Plus the boat was just too darn small for 3 big guys! Before that we had a 1973 23' Glassply cuddy with a 350 IO that was a great boat, but also always needed a good bit of TLC.

The Glassply got to be too expensive to keep up so we sold it and "downsized" to the Seanymph. That was a huge mistake! The nymph was a nice boat but just too darn small.

The only real complaint we might have with the Phantom is that the F115 is just a tad small. It performs fine for a fishing boat for three old fat guys though. It planes easy and cruises at about 27-29 at 4000-4500 rpm with a top end of about 39 with a full load. It would do much better with a 150, but we are not complaining. Its not as nice as some of the Lund's we looked at but its a good bit cheaper.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Sun May 18, 2014 7:45 am

These days they should give ya free bottles of lube when they tell ya the boat price

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun May 18, 2014 8:12 am

Sounds a good match then, you gotta be happy when buying something that expensive. Most people also just get the motor that comes with the boat and they're costing an arm and a leg at the moment. The new Yamaha 200 is 15k pls rigging and controls. It all adds up.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun May 18, 2014 8:13 am

Norm wrote:These days they should give ya free bottles of lube when they tell ya the boat price
[laugh]

ResQ
Captain

Post by ResQ » Sun May 18, 2014 12:19 pm

It is VERY unreal on the cost of new boats! What is even more ridiculous is what people want for their abused and dirty boats too. [blink]

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun May 18, 2014 6:29 pm

ResQ wrote:It is VERY unreal on the cost of new boats! What is even more ridiculous is what people want for their abused and dirty boats too. [blink]
ya I know what you mean, I did find one bought I would've bought in a heart beat but missed it by a day. Oh well its been a good experience learned a lot and will keep at it. Something will come up eventually.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sun May 18, 2014 8:27 pm

I was looking at cables just to look at the sea hawks and they werent that bad. It was around 30k for an 19' for new. Granted there still high prices and thats why Im still running my old boat.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Most finance their boats and it seems they try to get the total financed price for the boat.... My buddy is looking at boats now and found several brand new boats cheaper then what people are asking for a 5-7 yr old boat.... Makes no sense....

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Sun May 18, 2014 11:22 pm

sickbayer wrote:I stopped by 3rivers marine................................ As the trailer even been serviced they didn't know. Had anything been taking of care nobody knew.
Sounds like my experience when I bought my used drift boat there. I was towing it back down to Lewis County and he said they'd be sure and double check the bearings since they had no idea when it was serviced last.
Well, once I pay for the damn thing I get the "well, I checked and the service dept is swamped and there's no way they can get to it, you'll just have to stop every now and then and check on them."

I get that I wasn't buying a $30,000 boat from them but I still spent $3300 and they couldn't bother to tell me if the bearings needed grease or not?

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun May 18, 2014 11:49 pm

In my experence, if buying from a dealer going into summer is the worst time to purchase a boat. Late fall or even mid-winter can knock a couple thousand off of the boats price.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon May 19, 2014 5:42 am

Normally that be true but this winter, lack of used boats put prices up higher. And ya you can almost buy brand new for not a lot less then new. Say a 20' thunder jet at siglers can go for 32999 add on a kicker ff and maybe autopilot and you are at 40k add tax its 44k. That's the reason I think is the most why people as for so much more. Upside down for a while on payments.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:58 am

I drove from Marysville ,Wa to Vancouver ,Wa to purchase my boat.... Nothing in my area was affordable and I found what I was looking for in my price range but it just took a little road trip to do it.... Even with gas, I was only out 4100.00 for a complete sled minus kicker and new seats.... I have less than $5000.00 into my boat and it is exactly what I wanted in the size range I wanted.... Just have to keep an eye out, have cash in hand, and the ability to take a drive at a moments notice....

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Mon May 19, 2014 2:34 pm

<shameless plug> Well, if anybody is ever looking for a 2005 Trophy 1952WA, mine is about to be on the market ;) </shameless plug>

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon May 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Ha ha no worries mate! Hope you price it right? Why you selling?