Hull numbers?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Smokeploe
Angler

Hull numbers?

Post by Smokeploe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:22 am

Just got a letter that said my boat is not in compliance with the Coast Guard, dept of Homeland security, that I have to have a 12 character hull identification. ?? Dept.of licensing and I guess other departments are afraid of homeland security than the section that issues are driver license. I was told in this letter that I have to go down to a office with a picture or rubbing of the hull number of my boat and that I may have to update my hull number with a new one, all at my out of pocket expense!
The details of how, where and what type and size, and where it has to be, not just in one place but 2 different places.
I guess that pleasure boats are the next items that we get harassed with and for.

Smokeploe
Smokeploe

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Hull numbers?

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:21 am

Last year I was told my numbers, the same ones that have been on the boat for 16 years and are in excellent condition, are not the 'proper color or shape' and need to be changed. This was a dockside 'spot check' that they were doing for everyone. I think I will leave them for now and avoid taking it out right before a holiday, when they seem to be out in force.

4n6fisher
Lieutenant

Post by 4n6fisher » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:20 pm

I got confused reading this myself, then checked requirements and that is for boats built after 1972, so I am off the hook with my 1969 Starcraft. Here are the requirements if anyone needs them.

4n6fisher
Lieutenant

Post by 4n6fisher » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Would not allow the PDF upload so you have to look up yourself, did not seem to complex or expensive to add those for those who need it.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Have a link?

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Here are the rules regarding the WN numbers on boats. I just took a screenshot instead of posting the pdf.
Attachments
WN regulations.jpg

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:07 pm

The Hull numbers are not the same as the WN registration numbers. The WN numbers would be easy to change - hull numbers not so much.

I dont see how they can ask you to change the "hull numbers" - that number identifies that specific hull as built by that manufacturer. The hull number is like the VIN number on your car. It only goes with that exact car. Changing the hull number changes what boat its is.

Does anyone have a link to where it talks about changing hull numbers?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Smokeploe wrote:Just got a letter that said my boat is not in compliance with the Coast Guard, dept of Homeland security, that I have to have a 12 character hull identification. ?? Dept.of licensing and I guess other departments are afraid of homeland security than the section that issues are driver license. I was told in this letter that I have to go down to a office with a picture or rubbing of the hull number of my boat and that I may have to update my hull number with a new one, all at my out of pocket expense!
The details of how, where and what type and size, and where it has to be, not just in one place but 2 different places.
I guess that pleasure boats are the next items that we get harassed with and for.

Smokeploe
Were they talking about your hull numbers or WN numbers?

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Yeah, I think there may be some confusion here, there are regulations regarding font type and color for WN numbers but I'm not seeing anything regarding those regulations for HULL numbers. Sorry for the confusion.

4n6fisher
Lieutenant

Post by 4n6fisher » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:04 am

Here is the link https://www.boat-ed.com/washington/hand ... on-Number/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks. Thats what I thought. Hull numbers are not changing.

Does anyone have a link to where it talks about the new regs for WN numbers? I havent found anything saying you have to change old ones yet.

If you did, I would expect to get a notice when you renew your registration and/or when they give you the new sticker?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 am

By the way, that PDF above on WN numbers is how its been for several years at least. Nothing new there.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 am

This is the closest thing I could find. They want to be sure your boats HIN in your registration documents matches the one thats actually on the boat HIN plate. I dont see anything where you have to change the HIN. Unless your HIN plate is missing, or doesnt match the paper work, it looks to me like you have nothing to worry about.
What has changed, according to Kolsky, is the requirement that Parks and Recreation verify that it has a properly formatted hull ID number. Similar to a VIN on a vehicle, the HIN is the number stamped on a boat by the manufacturer. This number must be identical to the one on a boater’s registration.

Although the new boater registration changes don’t take effect until 2017, Kolsky said, counties throughout Idaho have been helping boat owners prepare.

“The Department of Transportation has actually taken a look at every titled vessel that was registered in 2015 and 2016 so that those boats would be good to go in 2017 registration,” Kolsky said. “A number of different marine law enforcement agencies were doing inspections to help out over the summer when they did routine safety inspections also.”