Raider Boats

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
DOBEMEJUWA
Angler

Raider Boats

Post by DOBEMEJUWA » Thu May 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi folks, new here. Joined cause my boat came from Colsville. I'm in KY.

We've had our Raider 22/72 for about 7 years now, and well just love it. Added some bow safety rails that are detachable and stow in the bow locker, just for those days fishing from the bow in big seas. Set up a 24 volt auto-pilot trolling motor, as we use it for Striped Bass Fishing here in KY and spend time trolling live baits a lot.

Here's our dilemna. I had heart surgery a couple months back, I'm 63, and wife and I still want to fish, and stay out of the weather but just need something a little smaller and easier to handle . Maybe like a 18 foot Trophy Walkaround, or maybe a smaller raider with a canvas top and full side curtains for creature comfort. Any suggestions on boats makes to look at? All help and thoughts appreciated. We just gotta down size cause this ole guy just don't have the horsepower I used to : [thumbup]
Attachments
3-IMAG0126-cc.jpg
2-IMAG0029.jpg
1-IMAG0204.jpg

downriggeral
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Raider Boats

Post by downriggeral » Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Wow nice boat! Raider makes some nice 18 to 19 foot boats with soft tops that should be easy to handle. Recovery from heart surgery takes time, believe me I know! I have a company ifishsolutions if I can be of help in the process.
Tight lines Alan
iFishSolutions is your supplier for the iTroll Precission Kicker Speed Control and electric kicker steering all operated from the iTroll controller. We also have fishing autopilot systems available utilizing modern technology!

http://ifishsolutions.com/

Official NWFR Sponsor

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:34 pm

not to do with the boars, but hang in there and don't let it get you down. I am 81, have had 3 heart attacks, 6 stints, and 1 bypass, and still hit the water as often as I can, buoy 10 to Roosevelt its all good. Just learn what you can do and pace yourself, things will work out.............I have an 17 ft alumweld stryker (my handle ) works great for us .....good luck......

DOBEMEJUWA
Angler

Post by DOBEMEJUWA » Sat May 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the info and kind thoughts. Retired Army, retired Fed Civ Service, total right at 30 years service to country, don't know how to quit, and just trying to figure out what the new load limits are for the valve job they did to my "motor". It's all good. I'm gonna hate to see this boat go in a way. In the fall when temps are in the 40's, with just a small coleman propane heater in it, we used to run out at dawn in t-shirts . And its not at all afraid of rough water.

I'll stay in touch, let ya all know how stuff works out. Stryker, your words and experiences are an inspiration to me. So you make sure you take care of yourself so us "young guys" have a good example to follow. [thumbup]

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun May 21, 2017 6:16 am

From one veteran to another, thanks for your service. I'm retired USAF.

What about the boat you have is hard to handle now? Can only think launching/loading would be any more work than before your valve job. If launching/loading is the source of additional stress, get a powered winch to ease your effort. Once in the water it should be just as easy as driving your car or truck. You've got a very nice boat and will be hard to downgrade.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 21, 2017 8:39 am

hewesfisher wrote:From one veteran to another, thanks for your service. I'm retired USAF.

What about the boat you have is hard to handle now? Can only think launching/loading would be any more work than before your valve job. If launching/loading is the source of additional stress, get a powered winch to ease your effort. Once in the water it should be just as easy as driving your car or truck. You've got a very nice boat and will be hard to downgrade.
My thoughts exactly! The only tough part for me is winching the boat back on the trailer and the anchor, which is going to have a winch of it's own shortly. An electric winch is an easy solution for the trailer and I'm pretty sure you'll have a dock at the ramp so no climbing on over the bow. For that you can always get a fold away ladder mounted to the bow. Check out Mean Chicken, it's a Jetboat forum, most of the bigger boats have bow ladders. I think once you get the little things sorted out, you'll find the boat you have now is easier for you to operate and relax on than a smaller boat. Take it easy and take your time but just keep moving. :cheers:

And thanks for your service!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

DOBEMEJUWA
Angler

Post by DOBEMEJUWA » Mon May 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Great thoughts and muchly appreciated. The feedback is valuable to me cause just not to sure now doing the "post partum depression thing sometimes, and spending too much time thinking about what broke instead of what got fixed. I do need rethink this.

To a degree, its all that goes with a boat, humping batteries, changing oil, lower unit oil, swapping trailer tires, cleaning it up to get ready for a trip and then again when back. Canvas on to store, then off to trailer and launch. And point well taken, what makes me think that stuff is going away when the next rig hits the driveway?

Again thanks for the thoughts, it's helping me work thru this.

DOBEMEJUWA
Angler

Post by DOBEMEJUWA » Mon May 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Just a little background.

Born in PA, south east part of state closer to the Cheaspeake Bay than the PA state capital. First boating and fishing was with my dad, in the bay, saltwater, for Striped Bass, that would have been in the early 1960's. I guess it came honestly. Army Active 1972-1992, then Reserves while Fed Civil Service.
Last edited by DOBEMEJUWA on Sat May 11, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue May 23, 2017 4:27 am

FWW ill touch on a couple of things . selling your boat will lose you money, tax on the new boat will lose you money I really think you are better off getting a side door on the hull for entry and exit and electric winch for the trailer. sometimes a smaller boat is not the best way forward. congrats on stayin alive mate!

DOBEMEJUWA
Angler

Post by DOBEMEJUWA » Wed May 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Last edited by DOBEMEJUWA on Sat May 11, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am

She is a beauty for sure! Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

DOBEMEJUWA
Angler

Post by DOBEMEJUWA » Fri May 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks Tracker. All good things must end and the memories will carry me.

Fishhho
Angler

Post by Fishhho » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Nice boat [thumbsup]

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:43 pm

If you’re dead set on getting a new, smaller boat I would highly recommend an ARIMA.
Biggest little boat on the water for sure.
Check them out at www.arimaboats.com
And visit the owners website at www.arimaowners.com
They are a very helpful group.