solar for troller

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
obryan214
Commander

solar for troller

Post by obryan214 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:49 pm

I've been thinking of putting a solar panel on my minkotta while using it at the same time the panels connected to the battery. Anyone try this before?

DavidA
Lieutenant

Re: solar for troller

Post by DavidA » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:55 pm

I have not done this but had considered it. Search the forum. According to a number of people who have provided input, the amount of power you would get in a day given any reasonable boat-sized solar panel, would be minimal. Trusting this I did pick up a phone power pack that has a built-in solar panel, but that's about it.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Probably wont be of much help while trolling. Something like this would possibly do the job if left hooked up between uses in a sunny environment, camping for the week in an area without power. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JML23X0?psc=1 I would guess that a useful panel would be at least 3 feet * 3 feet ?? The 100w panels probably put out 2-3 amps average in full sun, so my 100 amp hour battery might take 50 plus hours of full sun to charge from 0% charge.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:22 pm

I had not looked at these in a few years when I wrote that... after a little more research, it looks like the reviewers of 100-150w kits claim to be getting twice the power out of them that I suspected. So if true, these kits might supply 5 amps of charge. So, in full sun it could be possible to fully recharge a 35 amp hour car battery in one day...

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:23 pm

I put in a large solar panel to charge my electric gate battery. Pulled it off and ran underground wiring to it. The solar (larger than recommended) panel just did not keep up. Too many cloudy days in the PNW.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Its been a few years, maybe 10, since I installed 2 panels and a controller on a customer's 5th wheel. He claimed it was totally useless because during use of the rv, it wasn't nearly enough, and when stored, there was always reliable power available for charging. I know this tech keeps getting more practical though and hopefully we'll all be running solar panels and lithium batteries for trolling someday soon. With my back currently horribly sunburned, its easy to forget how cloudy the rest of the year is...

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:46 am

Im going to agree with Sideburns. I have tried two different systems for my Minnkota and neither worked worth a darn. A few months I bought this to take with me on the boat when were camping. It will charge the batteries in less than two hours and is "pretty" quite LOL
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GCJY620/ref=cfb_at_prodpg