Water Pump on Honda Outboard

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Water Pump on Honda Outboard

Post by racfish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:57 am

I called a few places around town to change out or do diagnostic checking and its very expensive. I called a couple Mobile Marine Places and that's really wow. The cooling pisser isn't spitting water out. My question is, How hard is it to change out the water pump? Do I really need to pay $165 and hour to get this done?

I just talked to the mechanic and he said its in the lower unit of the motor. I thought it was under the cowling. He said it would be at least 4 hours to fix. Yikes.
Last edited by racfish on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Re: Water Pump on Honda Outboard

Post by 18ftTrophy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 am

If you are handy with tools, it is not a big deal. Can be done in a few hours or less. Good luck.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am

If it is the same as all the other outboards I've done, the shop shouldn't take any longer than 1 hour. I've done it in one hour. You'll have to get a repair manual to see what all is needed, tools, gaskets, pump body, plate, more gaskets as in multilayered gaskets with the plate. And of course the impeller. And the proper procedure. Remember, the bigger the motor, the heavier the lower unit.
Tom.

Interests: living

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:21 pm

Ralph,
The water pump (impeller) is typically located in the lower unit and is USUALLY not difficult to replace with a little mechanical skill. However, corrosion can make it a more difficult job, so if you're not confident in your abilities, then best left to someone else.
First though, are you sure the water pump is the problem? Sometimes the pee hole can get clogged with debris and can be cleared out with a long piece of wire or stiff plastic (like a zip tie) by pushing it back up the exit hole. A simple fix for seemingly complex problem. Usually when the pump starts to wear out then it isn't pushing sufficient water, but no water sounds more like a clog.
FWIW.
Last edited by BentRod on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Also in the spring that hole can get clogged by muddobber wasps. But I think it's a bit early for that, unless you haven't used the boat all winter.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:30 pm

If the motor hasn't been run all winter, the rubber impeller fingers can stick to the housing, and when the motor is started the rubber fingers can tear off, the pump won't pump water without the rubber fingers. Check the output hole first, then the intake holes/slots, then the pump.
Tom.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:23 pm

One thing for sure is there were wasp nests under the cowling. I got rid of them but there was some mud here and there. I got a 32 gal garbage can to try. A friend said maybe the hose was hard enough. It has lower hours . I cant believe its the pump. I'm hoping for a clogged hole or line.Thanks for the input.

4n6fisher
Lieutenant

Post by 4n6fisher » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Sounds like my older Honda 9.9 did, I dropped the lower unit (repair shop tried to scare me with corrosion potential, but no issue), pulled out all the little rubber bits that had accumulated everywhere and put the new impeller in. No problem and less than $20 (or would have been if I bought the right impeller the first time). There are a few kits out there that come with all the seals/gaskets needed, just make sure you get the right one. It can help to remove it first to get an idea of what you need new and what you can reuse.

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:40 am

have done water pump on both mercury 4 stroke 90 ho and Yamaha 8.8 with no previous experience , no problem, however I did go to U tube and watched a video of both...just remember to make sure and get the impeller veins bent in the right direction......

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Give me a hammer and nails and I can build. Motors forget it. I'm all thumbs. My dad never taught me mechanic work. He was a builder. I'm gonna try a couple pointers and see if its a fixable thing for me. If not I'll just have to grin and bear it for the mechanic. I'll ask around more. Time for the Cowlitz anyways.

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 pm

If you are around the Duval area I know a guy that can do it for you........he is a real good mechanic , works from home and does it at nights.....

rappuhd
Petty Officer

Post by rappuhd » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 am

Hey Stryker would you mind giving me the contact info for the guy in Duvall. I got three motors I need water pumps done in and would love to find a better alternative to normal shop rates.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:30 pm

stryker17 wrote:have done water pump on both mercury 4 stroke 90 ho and Yamaha 8.8 with no previous experience , no problem, however I did go to U tube and watched a video of both...just remember to make sure and get the impeller veins bent in the right direction......
Yeah this - heavy on the Youtube video part.

When you are walked through step by step in video, it is not at all complicated.

You will likely spend more time running for parts than replacing the impeller - speaking of which -

When you go to get your parts (at your nearest factory authorized dealer) chat with the guy pulling your parts off the shelf for you - he will impart any good tips known to man that pertain to your specific task. It's what he does.

I'm partial to Auburn Sports & Marine - they are awesome when it comes to the help provided that a neophyte needs.

I was able to do the impeller on my Yamaha for about 1/5 the cost (if that) of a shop rate, and had it done in minutes vs weeks waiting on the waiting list.

There also was the huge benefit of better understanding my motor, and how it worked.

For me at least - it was a no brainer.

The best of luck.

onmygame

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:42 pm

O K , his name is Curt and phone is 425 772 2978, please call after 4;00pm works on snowmobiles, bykes cars, most any gas engine, is also my son has a good reputation .....

rappuhd
Petty Officer

Post by rappuhd » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Thank you!