Small Fishing Boat build advice

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Zzaya
Angler

Small Fishing Boat build advice

Post by Zzaya » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:07 am

Hello, this is my first boat, boat build and my first thread. I am looking to build a fishing boat out of plywood or other easy to use material. I have a few questions that i have foreseen but I would appreciate the insight of you guys. I am not going to spend tons of money one this boat but not super cheap maybe 300 for wood total of maybe 5-600(not including motor). i would be fishing two people in electric only lakes and other calm waters.

How long should it be and how wide and what should the depth be? Trailers?

What motors should I need and use or just row it?

How to keep it from flexing to much?

Nails or screws and what glue to stop it from leaking?

What design? I am thinking essentially a box?

How to put seats in?

How to keep it going straight and not spinning?

Anything else a beginner would not think of when building a boat.

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Small Fishing Boat build advice

Post by BentRod » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 am

Quadfather from this site built a wooden pram a number of years ago. Here is a link to his thread. He's still around, so you can reach out to him as well.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8940&p=95004&hilit=pram#p95004

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:53 am

Zzaya,
I’m no expert, but as BentRod said, I’ve been down this path. Send me an email @
Quadradomus@gmail.com

wazenzelan1
Angler

Post by wazenzelan1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:29 am

To make a vessel inflexible you will require appropriate inwale and outwell congregations, different knees, perhaps impedes, and firm base employ.

Utilize 316 hardened steel screws. Amass with marine epoxy with glass tape on the chines.

Try not to assemble a case. That smells. You will invest a great deal of energy into the assemble and ought to have a decent fishing body shape when you are finished.

You can work in decks or foils, yet don't stress over raised fishing seats as of now.

It will go straight in the event that you manufacture a legitimate vessel. Keep the body base level so it is under the water front and-toward the back to shield the pontoon from brushing off.

Study loads of plans and assemble sites before you construct.

Best of luck.

Adalgisod6
Angler

Post by Adalgisod6 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 am

Boat should be 18' long for two people casting, but 15' long will work to keep the boat sides to two scarfed pieces of marine ply.
5' wide will be nice, and the bow height should be less that 1/9th of the boat length for smooth water. Hull at transom will be bow ht/1.3 or so.
The boat will need a trailer.
Put a 24V trolling motor on the bow.
To make boat rigid you will need proper inwale and outwale assemblies, various knees, maybe thwarts, and stiff bottom ply.
Use 316 stainless steel screws. Assemble with marine epoxy with glass tape on the chines.
Don't build a box. That stinks. You will put alot of effort into the build and should have a good fishing hull shape when you are done.
You can build in decks or thwarts, but don't worry about raised fishing seats at this time.
It will go straight if you build a proper boat. Keep the hull bottom flat so it is under the water fore-and-aft to keep the boat from blowing-off.
Study lots of plans and build blogs before you build.
Good luck.