Walleye

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Walleye

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 am

Ive caught alot of Walleye but always C&R them. Are they super good to eat. Taste like Bass? Perch? or what. Anyone thats eaten one can you chime in about it. I did Banks last weekend and just let go what I caught.Same in the past. Let me hear or read your experience eating Walleyes and how to prepare them please.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Walleye

Post by Bodofish » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 am

Very tasty white fish! Mild, flakey, just plain good. If you like a good fish fry it can't be beat. Much better than bass.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm

My favorite freshwater white fish to date. Only get em when I go back to the ranch (that is until the boat-fund matures)- cut em into pieces & throw em into a skillet with hot oil.

They clean em down there with an electric fillet knife, behind the fin down to the spine and follow it to the tail, flip and repeat.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Great Thanks Im going back to Banks next weekend. Im gonna keep a few and try.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Good luck. It is Bill's favorite fish to eat.

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:12 am

Walleye make great eating. I like the 17" to 18" size for taste and ease of cleaning. They are not as tough as a bass to clean. I soak them in milk and use the "Shoreland" coating. Fry or bake them. MMMMMM GOOD!!!! I try to keep a mess of Walleye in the freezer and eat it at least once a month. The left over fillets after a meal are my wifes favorite sandwich so I cook up extra just for that!!

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:51 am

I think they are the best tasting fish out there. If you want to give some away, I'd be happy to take them off your hand. Not sure what the size limit in Washington, but the smaller ones have better texture, compared to the big 20".

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 am

Do them up just as you would perch. You may have to section up the fillets depending upon the size of the fish. Walleye ranks near the top in our household along with perch, sole and Cabezon.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Excellent.. I've caught them alot just off the road at Banks Lake. Also in the boat. Ive always C&R them. Im going back hopefully this weekend and this time I will keep some. I do like fried perch and bass. Bass is another C&R fish for me. I think once I had bass fried in Ea Wa. I kinda thought they were like Chubs or Squawfish. . Now I cant wait...

phishphool
Petty Officer

Post by phishphool » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Walleye are my favorite fish to eat. They are mild, firm fleshed and just plain yummy. They make awesome fish tacos, or throw them on the grill with your favorite fish seasoning. I use them in fish chowder and everyone comes back for seconds. No matter how you like to cook them, they are good eats!

Boldasu
Angler

Post by Boldasu » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Walleye is the best fresh water fish meat.King of the fresh water fish per say.

Boldasu
Angler

Post by Boldasu » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:23 pm

What area on Banks lake you fish for walleye? I plan to go there this week,i fish Banks every year 6-8 times and i love that lake,best producing walleye in Wa.I usually fish between south of the airport and north of the steam boat park trolling with spinners and night crawlers and so far, anytime produce me nice walleye.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:00 pm

I really do enjoy Banks lake also. What a great area. I usually fish the Steamboat Rock area. The best campground with very clean amenities. Very nice well maintained boat launch. Whats not to like there. The hot sun and dry climate allow me to move anyways I want unlike this side with the moisture. My mouth is watering for a filet of fish sandwich now. Im salivating thinking about it. [thumbsup]

A good cooking tip to share is if you like crispy outside and moist inside of the fish, fry it cold. Almost till the freezing state. Bread it cornmeal whatever,chill it in the freezer for like 15 minutes then fry.

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 pm

If it is Walleye [cool] it is all good [thumbup]

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Here's another good way to eat walleye. I call them walleye tortas. My favorite coating is
50/50 flour and corn meal
Santa Maria's seasoning
cayenne pepper
garlic powder
1/2 tsp of baking powder.

dredge fillets in flour, then dip in milk, then roll in batter.Fry in about 1/4 inch deep Canola oil in skillet. I like to add some ASIAN Hot oil to give a little more spice to the fish. At Walmart in the bakery, there is a bin that has that torta bread, they are like mini sub sandwich loaves. I forget what the name of the bread is. They are 25 cents each , cut them open and spread a little butter on them and toast on grill or griddle. Use sour cream or Mexican creme(not as tangy as sour cream) as condiment. Cut up cabbage, dice some onions and chop some cilantro and sprinkle liberally in sandwich. Squeeze some lime over the mixture, put the rest of the lime in your favorite Mexican beer, turn on the Seahawk game and enjoy!