Pink recipes??

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Pink recipes??

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Alright, I know how much we all love fishing the Humpies, but I am in serious need of some recipes for other ways to use Pink salmon when cooking. I cook a lot and enjoy it, eating the bounty, etc,
This year I am catching them in the salt.
No more of that soft/mushy Snohomish river grey meat. But that being said, at the end of the day I find Pink salmon to be so void of flavor. I totally get the bleeding your fish, gutting them, ice, etc. etc.

I understand the higher oil content in Kings/sockeye, etc.
Does anybody have any favorite ways to use these fish "Within" other dishes?
I was thinking about a salmon fettuccine, or something like that where its not relying on the fish itself to make the dish.

That being said, I'm not to hung up here... I can't stop fishing for these guys. It's like a monkey on my back. I'm ready to start full time releasing them, unless Racfish spits out a recipe of a use of them within a dish.
And I am first to admit that ANYTHING tastes good smoked, but I'm not talking about smoking pinks.,

Are you all just throwing them on the grill with the usual suspects for seasoning? [sneaky]

beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Re: Pink recipes??

Post by beachbum97 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Get about 3 or 4 cloves of minced garlic, a little bit of minced ginger, 6 or 7 tablespoons of brown sugar, and enough soy sauce to wet the sugar. Oh, and add a little lemon juice. Put fillet on foil, add all of that sauce on top, and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two. Then put it on the barby! The meat will flake very easy when cooked.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:20 pm

That's what I'm talking about, beachbum. Thx!

NimmunDay
Petty Officer

Post by NimmunDay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:15 am

beachbum97 wrote:Get about 3 or 4 cloves of minced garlic, a little bit of minced ginger, 6 or 7 tablespoons of brown sugar, and enough soy sauce to wet the sugar. Oh, and add a little lemon juice. Put fillet on foil, add all of that sauce on top, and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two. Then put it on the barby! The meat will flake very easy when cooked.
Don't forget the shot of whiskey!
Thank you! Come again! Image

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:07 am

Quad, I just filleted my last one and sprinkled on some blackened seasoning about an hour before I grilled them (med-high). 5 min. on one side and 5 min. the other. Really turned out great. FWIW.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:36 am

I have a method that gives you two meals out of one barbeque, as long as you cook enough first go around. I put the salmon in a grilling basket with a layer of onion against the fish and bacon on the outside. I like to throw some butter and garlic on the inside but up to you. Grill until flakey, drizzle with lemon, enjoy!

Second meal, if you have enough or cook more, is one of my favorites. Crumble the salmon in a bowl, getting rid of all the bones. Add egg, chopped green onions, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Make into patties and put in freezer to set for a bit, not to freeze them, just easier to cook. Pan fry until golden, squeeze of lemon of course, enjoy!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:51 am

Pinks are very good for making salmon patties. Cook the fish take the meat off the bones. take the fish and mash it with diced onion,diced parsley,eggs and bread crumbs. Form patties and fry them in a med hot oil. The fish is already cooked so youre really browning it up only. Serve those with a picante cocktail sauce. If you have a lil red meat salmon add it in for some extra richness.Squeeze lemon juice before serving.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:52 am

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:54 am

I was onna say the same thing with crabs but I thought Id share the recipe instead. LOL

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 am

I forgot one ingredient on the patties, add some Worcester sauce.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:44 am

I do a few things with Pinks. First thing i like to do is smoke them for 2 hours then can them for later use in snadwhiches or dips, or even putting them on crackers. Probably my favorite way to do them is cedar plank them on a low heat (300*) charcaol grill, using a good teriyaki sauce to get a good carmelized coating across the top. I make my own sauce using yoshidias sauce, pineapple, seaseme seeds, and a touch of sarichia sauce for some zing. blend the sauces and pinapple together, then add the seeds. Works awesome one chicken too.

I did salmon and dill toratalinni a while back and that was vewry tasty but time consuming making all of them.

If your gonna do a pasta based dish i would lay your al dente pasta on a plate, then do your sauce on top (a garlic alfredo with dill added is tasty) then put a de-boned skinless fillet on top, pull off a little chunk of fish every time you take a bite . I think a pink would pretty much just melt into the dish if mixed in and just give it a fishy flavor instead of having texture.

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 am

rub with smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt powder, fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. pan sear med-high heat in garlic butter and white wine. Serve over thin spaghetti noodles sauteed in the same white wine butter sauce sprinkle with fresh cut chives and cilantro.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Pickled Salmon..... They use sockeyes most often but pinks would work. Pickle the salmon using a sweet brine. Its a wine base . Look it up on the internet. I have a recipe at home but I need to locate it. Ive never tried Pinks but why not?

beachbum97
Warrant Officer

Post by beachbum97 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:51 pm

NimmunDay wrote:
beachbum97 wrote:Get about 3 or 4 cloves of minced garlic, a little bit of minced ginger, 6 or 7 tablespoons of brown sugar, and enough soy sauce to wet the sugar. Oh, and add a little lemon juice. Put fillet on foil, add all of that sauce on top, and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two. Then put it on the barby! The meat will flake very easy when cooked.
Don't forget the shot of whiskey!
Haha! You saw that video too! I fell in love with this recipe.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Some great ideas guys, thanks! [drool]

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:32 pm

Chris, we use pinks in any recipe calling for a fishy protein. Most recently we had grilled pink sandwiches for dinner and they were yummy. We have used it in everything; salmon dip, chowder, pastas, salmon patties, cuiche, salmon salad sandwiches, scrambled eggs, omelets and many more culinary delights.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:53 am

Its Quiche. Hahahaha Sorry Im being a smart a$$

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:11 pm

I can kooc but wasn't dare hen they whear handong out the spelling geene.
Last edited by rseas on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 pm

i usually cut my fillets into the size i am serving each person.
-preheat smoker to 220ish. i use apple pucks for my bradely
-rinse the fish and dab it dry and squeeze lemon juice (fresh) onto the fillet
-add generous amounts of fresh dill over the fish
-place lemon slices on the top covering the piece of fish
-cook in smoker for about 45-55 minutes depending on how well the heat was regulated.

the lemon and the dill really add alot of flavor so your not tasting the nothing that is pink

what ever left overs we have always get mixed with mac and cheese or a salad for the next dinner
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:48 pm

I BBQ ed my two day old pink tonight using Tom Douglas Rub with Love. Its no sockeye or Chinook (which I wouldn't hide with the rub) but as good as farmed.