Wood for smoking

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Wood for smoking

Post by SalmonAddict » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 am

Where do y'all get your wood for smoking? Local would be nice.
I know at the local hardware store and outdoor/sports store sells small quantities of chips.

But I'm looking for bulk and big woods. Because I'm tired of constantly having to add wood.

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Wood for smoking

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:43 pm

When we still had our fruit trees, I used whatever branches I trimmed for smoking. You might want to ask if any of your neighbors have fruit trees that need pruning. Barring that, see if there are any permits available and go harvest an alder tree. Alder makes for a great all purpose smoke. For DNR land check here: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/programs-and-serv ... g/firewood

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Are you looking for logs? Home Depot and cabelas sell logs, chunks, and chips. Cabelas logs are about 15 a bag ( except Apple which is like 60). Home Depot sells it for like 20 a bag.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:02 pm

Don't know where your location is, but I just can't say enough about http://www.sutterhearth.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Located in Ballard.

This place has more choices of smoking wood than you can shake a piece of fruit wood stick at. Yes, you can prob. find stuff cheaper at the box stores, etc. But you really should check this place out. They have different sizes/shapes of woods, but I do love that they have large chunk style pieces of many fruit woods, and the usual hickory, mesquite, etc.
Not to mention many flavors of pellets,
After you are done looking at the many types of wood, check out the MANY bbq accessories that they have. There is all kinds of crazy stuff.
And when you completely broke, then you can pick up grills between about $500.00 -- and 10K.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:10 pm

For apple,cherry or any wood I go to Craigslist and buy thru them. I usually get a mix of apple cherry from Ea Wa.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Make sure if you buy wood that is not from a store you know how seasoned it is. Only smoke with seasoned wood. If your wood is not dry you will get a smoggy burn and it will taste like creosote. My cherry, apple, and pear wood have all taken at least a year+ to dry around here. If you cut it into chunks it will dry faster.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:46 am

In my opinion alder is the best wood for smoking fish and a good place to get reasonably priced wood chunks is cookingwoods.com

TRAUT
Petty Officer

Post by TRAUT » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:09 pm

racfish wrote:For apple,cherry or any wood I go to Craigslist and buy thru them. I usually get a mix of apple cherry from Ea Wa.
Guess where I'm coming for my next fix? ^^^^ :nemo:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:35 pm

Anytime Traut
:salut:

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:12 am

Hey Ralph!!!! good to see you're kicking. Hope all is well. :)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

TRAUT
Petty Officer

Post by TRAUT » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:40 am

Bodofish wrote:Hey Ralph!!!! good to see you're kicking. Hope all is well. :)
Me too! :salut:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm still kicking. Although I feel like a one legged man in a butt kickin contest. I spend a lot of time taking care of my father with Dementia. I went crabbing twice only and have done very lil fishing.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:01 pm

racfish wrote:I'm still kicking. Although I feel like a one legged man in a butt kickin contest. I spend a lot of time taking care of my father with Dementia. I went crabbing twice only and have done very lil fishing.
Join the club. I'm doing the same with my mom and it's never a dull moment, you never know what is going to happen. You get a gold star on your forehead for helping him. O:) I've only been out crabbing a couple times too, days off and free time just haven't been there. [wink] It's got to get better..........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:08 pm

A young guy that I mentored works at a fish stand at the market. He brings me fish so I'm still smoking fish. I found a guy in the Yakima area who sells fruitwood. Mainly apple which I prefer to smoke with. Even burning apple is good. I'm trying to get a pickup load next week. Traut for you I have some nice treated cedar and plywood. [flapper]

TRAUT
Petty Officer

Post by TRAUT » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:03 am

racfish wrote: Traut for you I have some nice treated cedar and plywood. [flapper]
What a pal, I'll trade you some coal for it and I got a couple railroad ties I can throw it too [thumbsup]

Actually I made a pig of myself a couple weeks back in Royal City and filled my 5X10 trailer nearly 7 feet tall with apple stumps. Perfect stuff, about 5" diameter. It was waaay heavy and I did have two flat tires on the way back, to the price of "free" wood keeps going up. Now for some fish to smoke.

Speaking of fish, I was on Lake WA this evening testing/tuning an outboard and caught some nice perch. Let them go because I didn't want to clean them. BUT, there were silvers splashing around on the surface all over. Sadly these were well south of the 520 bridge, but that means that some made it through the gauntlet of nets =D>

Might have to go jig/troll up a few next week.

Ralph, If you need a break or a sitter give me a holler. I went through the same drill with my old man for about 5 years and my Dad was a real PITA, not a gentleman like yours. I'll give you a hand however you need it, just let me know.

Traut out :nemo: