BARBECUED SHRIMP

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
drjjpdc
Petty Officer

BARBECUED SHRIMP

Post by drjjpdc » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Boy I wish we had an in-depth forum like this in NJ! The info and the posters are among the best I've seen. The best thank you I can give is a New Orleans style shrimp recipe. This is my most popular shrimp recipe that I have given out. Enjoy.

BARBECUED SHRIMP

4 to 6 servings

2 pounds large uncooked
unpeeled shrimp, slit down the back
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon ground red Pepper
3/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper
French bread

Wash shrimp well; pat dry and spread in shallow pan. Combine remaining ingredients except bread in small saucepan and let simmer 10 minutes. Pour over shrimp and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours, stirring through every 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Bake shrimp, turning frequently, until they just turn pink, about 15 to 20 minutes; do not over bake. Adjust seasonings.
Serve in soup bowls with chunks of French bread to soak up the sauce.

Some personal notes:

Don’t worry about over baking; I usually cook mine for 30-45 minutes.
If you are out of fresh lemons, simply double the lemon juice. Yes I also use bottled with no ill effects.

Chili sauce can be made with chili powder added to ketchup to taste.
Same with the ground hot pepper or hot sauce, simply add more of either if you don’t have both in stock. There is no substitute for Liquid Smoke & it is a must have.

The recipe doubles or triples well for a party. It can be made in a deluxe version with giant shrimp (1-2 per person) for an elegant appetizer or even a main course with a salad. You can also use much smaller size shrimp for large groups (keeps great in a crock pot for serving).

John

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Re: BARBECUED SHRIMP

Post by dwh4784 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:35 am

Sounds delicious. Questions though, you say unpeeled shrimp, do you leave the peel on all the way through and remove when eating? Or peel sometime in the process.

Also, do you bake them in the sauce right in the pan you used originally, or take the shrimp out of there and lay them on a baking sheet? If the latter, could you skewer and cook on the BBQ instead of baking at this point?

Fishhho
Angler

Post by Fishhho » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:28 pm

will take note of this recipe. sounds delicious!

Tanker5455
Angler

Post by Tanker5455 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:05 am

It does sound awesome! I've already BBQ'd shrimp and similar shellfish, but I never went that far into the preparation, it was more along the lines of "choose big shrimp, put on grill, cook, remove shell, eat" and I was quite satisfied, so I'll definitely give your recipe a try...