Canning on a single burner help

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
spokey9
Captain

Canning on a single burner help

Post by spokey9 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:06 pm

I've got a ceramic top stove and can't use it for canning. I'm having trouble finding a single electric burner that runs at 1750w (the average wattage of a home stove) without spending $200 plus. Anybody here can on a single burner? Will a 1500w work? Any info or burner recommendation would be great help.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Canning on a single burner help

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Depends on how big your pot is. You can find single coil burners at yard sales or the second hand stores. Or yard sales. Or you could buy a pot made for the ceramic? A propane burner on a bbq will also work.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:00 pm

The problem you are running into is that the wattage you seek requires a high current draw at standard house voltage (115V). 1750W/120V = 14.6 amps which is right on the edge of a standard house circuit (15 amp). To safely use the higher wattage 115V unit, you need to make sure you are using a 20 amp circuit and that not much else is on and drawing power from that circuit. If you look at 208 and/or 220V hotplates, you'll see some at a reasonable price. The only dowside is you'll need a 208/220V outlet to use it. The other option is to pressure can, which requires much less energy and you should be able to get away with using a 1500W hotplate. It may take a while to get it up to boiling temperature, but having the lid locked down will enable the plate to maintain the boil without much effort. Keep in mind that at a max draw of 1500 watts, your circuit will be drawing 12.5 amps, so you'll still need to be mindful of any other devices that are on the same circuit and drawing power. Once breakers trip due to overloading, they start to degrade and become more susceptible to tripping at a lower current draw.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:14 pm

I have a ceramic top and can with it.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:19 am

Toni wrote:I have a ceramic top and can with it.
Our stove is new and Kelly would string me up if she saw the canner sitting on it lol.

Gman, thanks for the amp ratings. I didn't think about that tbh. I'm having a new outlet and breaker ran in the garage next week. So I can have a 20 amp fuse ran on it. As it stands now there's only one out there and it's got my freezer running on it and I prefer to leave it on a circuit by itself to limit the breaker tripping. I'm kinda cautious of it since it's usually stuffed since we tend to buy meat in bulk and I don't wanna lose any fish I take home.

I've got a pressure canner and primarily use it for salmon since I tend to get a few every year lol. If a 1500w will get me up to temp then I'll go that route. Those are fairly reasonable price wise. I asked about the 1750w because that's what FDA recommends.

As a side note, it's a pain prepping a new house for fishing season lol.
Last edited by spokey9 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 am

spokey9 wrote:
Our stove is new and Kelly would string me up if she saw the canner sitting on it lol.
I don't understand why if your instructions say it is ok. Mine says right in the guide it can support them.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

4n6fisher
Lieutenant

Post by 4n6fisher » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:03 am

Have you thought about a single propane burner, they are not too expensive ($50-100) and you could easily get the heat you want. Have to do it outside (or with garage door open) though. It could then double as a crab boiling pot/burner.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 am

I've got a propane burner but I'd prefer to use electric tbh. I got a 3yo running around and I imagine she'd be a bit too curious about the flames for her own good lol

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:32 pm

I have a ceramic, it works for canning, but we have been defaulting to outdoor propane for the raw power/ heat output.

Gman summed it up. To boil a large volume of water, you need power, more than you can use with an extension cord plugged into an outlet maybe? Counter top heating elements are usually pretty weak.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:26 pm

I can with my ceramic stove. I boil crabs too. A few years ago I went for the Steam Canner. 3 quarts of water needed.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:15 am

spokey9 wrote:

Gman, thanks for the amp ratings. I didn't think about that tbh. I'm having a new outlet and breaker ran in the garage next week. So I can have a 20 amp fuse ran on it. As it stands now there's only one out there and it's got my freezer running on it and I prefer to leave it on a circuit by itself to limit the breaker tripping. I'm kinda cautious of it since it's usually stuffed since we tend to buy meat in bulk and I don't wanna lose any fish I take home.

I've got a pressure canner and primarily use it for salmon since I tend to get a few every year lol. If a 1500w will get me up to temp then I'll go that route. Those are fairly reasonable price wise. I asked about the 1750w because that's what FDA recommends.

As a side note, it's a pain prepping a new house for fishing season lol.
Why would she string you up? A ceramic cook top is the easiest thing in the world to clean. I wouldn't have it any other way, I've had coils, gas and you name it. The ceramic cook top is just clean and easy to keep clean. Anything gets cooked on, I just scrape it with a new razor blade then polish with the white scotch brite and then the paste. Mine is 10 years old and the top still looks brand new.

As a side note, I know it's an emotional issue, not a logical one soooo...... Have you looked at an induction hot plate? You can set the exact temp you want and not worry about it. The bonus is they don't get hot to the touch.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!