Smoker opinions....

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
ellamella
Petty Officer

Smoker opinions....

Post by ellamella » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:31 pm

Any opinions? What is better electric or propane smokers? Advantages disadvantages for each?

Masterbuilt Smoker Chicken Recipes

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Re: Smoker opinions....

Post by hewesbob » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:18 am

I have used a Bradley electric smoker for the past 12-14 years. It has always worked fine for fish but I smoke about 150 lbs of meat per year and the Bradley just doesn't do a very good job. It only has a 500 watt heating element so it not only takes 12-14 hours to bring a batch of sausage up to 152 degrees it also has hot and cold area so you have to rotate the racks and every time you open the door you lose most of the heat and heat recovery time can take as long as 30 minutes. I just finished converting a 1950's vintage upright freezer into a smoker. For smoke and heat I used a Traeger hopper and controls from an old grill I had sitting around. The old freezer is well insulated and has an all metal interior. I test fired it a couple days ago and it tested perfectly, I can control the heat from down to 120 degrees up to 280 degrees and that is with a light constant smoke and when I open the door it looses very little heat. I have never used a propane smoker so I can't help there but if I were to buy another smoker I would check out size of the heating unit and check reviews on heat recovery and heat ranges, when smoking fish a lot of folks like to start out at 90 degrees for the first couple hours. It all kind of depends on what you will be using the smoker for, mostly meat (like myself) or mostly fish. Good Luck

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Smoker opinions....

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:13 pm

Clickbait, every single post contains a link to an offsite product, see the teeny tiny hyperlink at bottom right of their post?

I reported this member to Mike last year, and their posts were deleted, now they're back doing the same thing. [thumbdn]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount