Fish lake crawdads?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
deadyote
Petty Officer

Fish lake crawdads?

Post by deadyote » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 pm

So I just bought a piece of property over near Leavenworth, and went fishing at Fish Lake. Did pretty well and was looking around and saw a ton of promising areas to try to catch crawdads. After we were done fishing, I aksed the owner of the Cove resort if he had seen any crawdads in the lake and he said there aren't any becasue it freezes up in the winter. Is that true? I am probably still going to give it a try, but just wondered if the lake freezes up would that kill the crawdads?

zen leecher
Commander

Re: Fish lake crawdads?

Post by zen leecher » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:10 am

crayfish would be on the endangered list if lakes freezing over killed them.

Throw a trap in and let us know the results.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:32 pm

When power bait first came out. The same owner told me power bait does not work for trout in Fish Lake! Ummmm..............really? I second the the already mentioned, throw a pot in there and let us know how you do!

TerryBullard
Petty Officer

Post by TerryBullard » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:10 pm

deadyote wrote:So I just bought a piece of property over near Leavenworth, and went fishing at Fish Lake. Did pretty well and was looking around and saw a ton of promising areas to try to catch crawdads. After we were done fishing, I aksed the owner of the Cove resort if he had seen any crawdads in the lake and he said there aren't any becasue it freezes up in the winter. Is that true? I am probably still going to give it a try, but just wondered if the lake freezes up would that kill the crawdads?
As long as the crawfish themselves were not frozen they would survive.
Terry Bullard
--
Crayfishing Made Easy
Everyone is Doing It!
Are You?

deadyote
Petty Officer

Post by deadyote » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks guys, that is what I thought. I will be over there the week of the 4th of July. I'll let you now how I do.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:50 pm

If you find em - update the list...
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/vi ... fish+lakes
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

deadyote
Petty Officer

Post by deadyote » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:48 pm

So, I tried to catch some crawdads while I was out on Fish Lake this last week. Five pots and two days of soaking, bait used was salmon heads, and herring, fresh trout in anywhere from 8-20 feet of water around lots of rocks. When I set them, I was so optomistic even though the owner of the Cove Resort told me again that there were no crawdads in the lake. When I went and pulled the pots, there was no crawdads but there were a ton of bullheads. I had over 40 in one pot. Is that a good sign or bad sign to catch bullheads? Anyways, wanted to give you the heads up on the lake and what I found out. Sorry guys, I was hoping to have a feast and show you all some pics.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:31 pm

The luck your having at not finding craws in your pots, normally would cause one to think your being robbed. Is it possible the dad's are to dumb to find there way into the pot? Are the trap doors working as they should? I do not fish dads, but know they are in Green Lake, that is in Seattle.

TerryBullard
Petty Officer

Post by TerryBullard » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:44 am

deadyote wrote:So, I tried to catch some crawdads while I was out on Fish Lake this last week. Five pots and two days of soaking, bait used was salmon heads, and herring, fresh trout in anywhere from 8-20 feet of water around lots of rocks. When I set them, I was so optomistic even though the owner of the Cove Resort told me again that there were no crawdads in the lake. When I went and pulled the pots, there was no crawdads but there were a ton of bullheads. I had over 40 in one pot. Is that a good sign or bad sign to catch bullheads? Anyways, wanted to give you the heads up on the lake and what I found out. Sorry guys, I was hoping to have a feast and show you all some pics.
Your trap is in the wrong location if you are catching bullheads. Sometimes you can move your trap 50 to 100 feet down the shoreline and fill up with crawfish. I've seen this happen a lot, the conditions on the bottom have to be right for crawfish.
Think rocky not muddy when you study the shoreline.
Terry Bullard
--
Crayfishing Made Easy
Everyone is Doing It!
Are You?