the fresh-water lobsterette - crawfish lakes *UPDATE*

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Sideburns
Commander

Re: the fresh-water lobsterette - crawfish lakes *UPDATE*

Post by Sideburns » Thu May 11, 2017 9:31 pm

BTW... My week long trapping of various spots around wilderness resulted in one swamp crawfish.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Shade
Angler

Post by Shade » Fri May 12, 2017 4:09 pm

I've had some of these similar issues since the opener. I've talked to a few older fisherman that know everything there is to know about fishing.... water temps need to be about 60°+ for the Crays to come out of "winter mode"/Hibernation and really get active. With so much crappy weather in 2017 and almost zero Sunny days... all the lakes are below average temps. And with the large amount of snow pack from this last winter, the cold runoff from the mountains has lasted longer than average as well. So it could be a few weeks before the Crawfishing gets good.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:11 pm

So far this year I've trapped in Lake Sammamish, Bass lake, Green river, lake Wilderness and lake Sawyer. The most I've trapped this year (4 total in 3 pots) has come from the green upstream of whitney bridge. One craw was pulled from wilderness. I've trapped the Green lots of times over the last few years, from Flaming Geyser, all the way down to the soccer fields in auburn, but most of my catch was small and never more than a few in a pot (usually none or 1). I havent given up on my local stretches of the green, as Ive noticed that the exact location is extremely critical, and Ive also seen piles of crawfish claws and shells washed into slow current areas in the past.

Ive also trapped Lake Washington (several times), Soos creek, Covington Creek (caught 2), Lake Curlew, and some unnamed creeks nearby.... probably more Ive forgotten too.
Ive used lots of baits, from bacon to chicken, but my favorites so far are trout/ salmon parts and or hot dogs.

Next on my list will be Newaukum creek and the green near kanaskat palmer park. Some other possible spots I was thinking about are Lake Tapps, Lake Walker, Lake Meridian, Cedar river and maybe the White near Buckley - any input greatly appreciated...

This has been a great way to explore local waters, and a good excuse to get out and fish the same spot repeatedly (gotta get the pots!), but I've worn out 3 pots now without a meal's worth of craws! On goes the hunt!
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

AndyDanger
Angler

Post by AndyDanger » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:34 am

Hi all, new to the site and to crawfish trapping. First attempt was Woods creek and the Skykomish in Monroe. Baited with cheap dog food and got nothing.. traps were completely untouched it appeared. Gonna try the gissberg ponds, silver lake and Moses lake this week. WE WILL FIND THEM!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:48 am

Its a lil cold yet. A lot of glacier runoff is still coming down. Id wait till the waters warm up a bit.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 am

Another to add to the list. The Mashel River in Eatonville (Pierce county)

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:36 am

I grew up in a recreational boating family in Louisiana. We used to throw a pouch of Louisiana crab boil into the boiling water (I pour in a half a pouch). Seasons mud bugs up nicely but not too strong. I do the same when boiling dungeness. Zatarain's or McCormick's crab boil can be found in most stores. https://youtu.be/q10rRKEc9uo

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:53 am

I also use the crab boil. I use it for all my crays and crabs. With the crays I add some cayenne pepper.

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:14 pm

Right on racfish. I use half of the pouch so it's not so strong. Zatarain's or McCormick's. Both have cayenne and a bunch of other goodies in them. Anyone here ever fished Louisiana waterways? That's where a life-long love for fishing comes from.

GoldBarbarian
Angler

Post by GoldBarbarian » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:05 pm

What a great thread! So good it made me register! HAHA

I'm looking to drop pots in the Sky up by Reitor...
Not finding much info so I figgered I'd try since the Sky is in my backyard.

ps. Being my first post I will add "Hello Everyone!"
“Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting.” #-o

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:34 am

I would think the water in the sky is too cold. It is mountain runoff. I'd look for a nice warm water area like the Sammamish slough

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:45 pm

racfish wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:34 am
I would think the water in the sky is too cold. It is mountain runoff. I'd look for a nice warm water area like the Sammamish slough
Lookin forward to May 3. I live across the valley from the Sammamish now. Crawfish Rolls will be the first thing on the menu.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:15 pm

I went to a Renton restaurant called Feast Buffet. I ate crayfish till I started growing claws . Great restaurant if you like seafood.

GoldBarbarian
Angler

Post by GoldBarbarian » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:38 pm

racfish wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:34 am
Well here I am a year later and none the wiser... BUT... I've yet to pull a crayfish out of the Skykomish as far up as Gold Bar... So yes, I'd concur it must be the water temps.
That said, the Snoqualmie was pretty good good on a scouting drop last month and came home w/ 19 keepers. I did see a guy pull a pot w/ twice as many AND a few 9 inchers in there as well. So they are there... I'm finding the secret is a boat. Once I have a boat I will be hitting more lakes.

More to come... It's just been sloooow w/ little to report.

Anyone else have some stories?🦞
craw.jpg
Before!
craw 2.jpg
After Hot Tubbing!
“Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting.” #-o

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:21 pm

Those look real yummy to me