Range ammo. 30-06

All things related to hunting.
Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Range ammo. 30-06

Post by Rich McVey » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Im looking for a good deal in range ammo. I would like some opinions on this.

http://www.surplusammo.com/30-06-150-gr ... -ammo-can/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
Rich

EDIT
This link is currently dead, It was Korean military surplus. Jacketed steel core.
Last edited by Rich McVey on Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Re: Range ammo. 30-06

Post by bugmasta » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Go over to seattleguns.net

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:13 am

I'd err on the side of caution and not fire steel bullets through my hunting rifle. I'd go with the bulk Remington ammo they sell or check out Sportco/Outdoor emporium and see if they have any good bulk ammo deals.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am

G-Man wrote:I'd err on the side of caution and not fire steel bullets through my hunting rifle. I'd go with the bulk Remington ammo they sell or check out Sportco/Outdoor emporium and see if they have any good bulk ammo deals.

Thats the current plan. New brass with copper jacket. I picked up some Winchester for $19.99 for a 20 box. The Remington at $17.99 was sold out on the shelf. I didnt get it from the place in the link, I went to Cabelas Tulalip. 200 rounds should last a while since I dont goto the range often.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:33 pm

bugmasta wrote:Go over to seattleguns.net

or waguns.org another good site

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:22 am

BANG !!! ... there goes a buck ... BANG !!! ... there goes a buck ..... ouch lololol ... NO BALL AMMO !!! please

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:16 am

Range ammo....... Well it's just that, something to dirty the gun with and make noise at the range. Hunting practice or comp practice, either way, I'd not shoot anything I didn't load, if you're not a (re)loader, buy what you will be shooting for real. When it comes down to practicing for moa and or bulls at 100+yrds your ammo needs to be as precise as the shots you're trying to make. Barring you loading your own, your ammo needs to at least be 100% consistent. Different loads through a rifle can shoot radically different. You go to the range and put 50 or 100 rnds of Federal or cheap Rem. through the rifle and you think it's spot on, you head to the field and load up with your "special for hunting only Corbon's". You have your trophy in the sights squeeze off the shot and it's a miss...... WTF? Most rifles are precision instruments, load your own or shoot only one Mfg/Load, practice and field if you want consistent results. Even with my Rem 541S Cust. I will only shoot one brand and load. It does make a difference.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Bodofish wrote:Range ammo....... Well it's just that, something to dirty the gun with and make noise at the range. Hunting practice or comp practice, either way, I'd not shoot anything I didn't load, if you're not a (re)loader, buy what you will be shooting for real. When it comes down to practicing for moa and or bulls at 100+yrds your ammo needs to be as precise as the shots you're trying to make. Barring you loading your own, your ammo needs to at least be 100% consistent. Different loads through a rifle can shoot radically different. You go to the range and put 50 or 100 rnds of Federal or cheap Rem. through the rifle and you think it's spot on, you head to the field and load up with your "special for hunting only Corbon's". You have your trophy in the sights squeeze off the shot and it's a miss...... WTF? Most rifles are precision instruments, load your own or shoot only one Mfg/Load, practice and field if you want consistent results. Even with my Rem 541S Cust. I will only shoot one brand and load. It does make a difference.

Yea, I hear that. I do plan on shooting it more than just hunting. Same with the .22 and the 9mm. I have range ammo and I have the good stuff. I do practice with the good stuff (9mm) from time to time but thats 25 rounds per 1000 of the range ammo. For the .22 I zero (100yards) with the 1250 fps and use that at the range, use the subsonic when 'needed' but also have the 1650 fps segmented if the 1050 segmented may not cut it. For the 30-06, I will take it back to the range before the season starts and re-zero with the HQ rounds. I cant afford to toss a few hundred premium rounds down range each year. $15 ammo has to take that bill. Im not going to use the ammo I referenced in the OP. Remington value ammo is good enough to keep the shoulder and muscle memory up.

Last winter we would take the .22 to the range on nasty Sat afternoons. Range would be mostly empty. Blow off a few hundred rounds ($17 for 525 rounds) then grab a good lunch on the way home. Will be happy to include the 30-06 in that.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:13 pm

yeah re-loading is the way to go I been reloading for a while now I use my reloads for hunting loads I also have my re-loads for my 40 defense loads. My 9mm I use hornady.

I load 9mm 40 soon 45 and 10mm 243 257 weathrby and 7mm mag and soon 300 mag or 300 ultra mag

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:31 am

I would caution against putting hand loads in a defensive weapon. Any attorney will paint a rather vivid picture of you maniacally plotting while you load your special "killer" loads. Before you are through, you will have set a trap and lured your perp in....... For comp I loaded all my own, for the street, straight out of the box, big name brand. Don’t give them a reason.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:48 pm

what Comps do you attend

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:19 am

I don't anymore. After a catastrophic accident I keep it pretty low key. I used to shoot a city league kind of an indoor IPSC event and also shot at local IPSC. Both can be very humbling without a lot of practice. There used to be monthly bowling ping comp hosted at a different range each month. Those are just plain fun. Old ranges gone, new ranges popped up and a lot of those gone. I don't know where it happening anymore.

GCB069
Petty Officer

Post by GCB069 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 am

Bodofish wrote:I would caution against putting hand loads in a defensive weapon. Any attorney will paint a rather vivid picture of you maniacally plotting while you load your special "killer" loads. Before you are through, you will have set a trap and lured your perp in....... For comp I loaded all my own, for the street, straight out of the box, big name brand. Don’t give them a reason.

Damn then I shouldn't use my 12 ga. Flechette Ammo then bummer....

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am

Yeah, probably not the best idea when the only thing flechettes are designed for is shooting people. None the less a very effective, defense load.... [biggrin]

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Fri May 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!