How to get a Cougar?

All things related to hunting.
skagit510
Lieutenant

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by skagit510 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:53 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:Cougar taste good. And im not talking about the kind you sickos are talking about in a bar ](*,) [biggrin] If I shot one id be glad to eat it, not just shoot it bc scared or otherwise.

I think the above is a worthy view. Sorry if I offended anyone. Sometimes my humor doesn't translate well written. Plus I have a horrible compulsion to laugh and poke fun at things that others don't think are funny. Merry Christmas everyone.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Originally I was going to post some 10 Tips for Catching a Cougar... Nichole Williams guide....
1.) Know what your after.
2.) It's about the thrill of the chase.
3.) Don't blow us off to ...... with your friends.
4.) Make up with......
5.) and the dating list goes on and and on....

But instead I will post the email I just received regarding Cougar Hunting Season to Close Jan. 2 in several areas of the state.

Cougar hunting seasons to close Jan. 2 in several areas of the state

OLYMPIA - Cougar hunting seasons will close in several areas of the state at dusk on Jan. 2 now that harvest guidelines for the animals have been reached in those areas, according to an announcement by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

Of the state's 49 cougar hunt areas, four will close Jan. 2, including Game Management Units (GMUs) 105, 121, 145, 166, 175, 178, 574, 578, and 667.

Those GMUs are located in portions of Stevens, Asotin, Columbia, Garfield, Thurston, Lewis, Klickitat, and Skamania counties.

This is the third year the department has managed cougar hunts under a plan approved by the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission in 2012, said Dave Ware, WDFW Game Division manager.

That plan establishes harvest guidelines for specific areas of the state, based on cougar populations in those areas, Ware said. Under the plan, WDFW can close areas where the cougar harvest meets or exceeds guidelines, while continuing to allow for hunting opportunities elsewhere.

"The goal is to preserve a variety of cougar age classes - particularly older animals - in numerous areas throughout the state," Ware said. "Those older cougar tend to be more effective at maintaining sustainable populations."

Last year, hunters harvested 182 cougars statewide, up from 156 in 2012, 145 in 2011, and 108 in 2010. Ware said the number of cougars harvested this season is expected to be similar to last year.

Ware reminds hunters that additional cougar hunt areas may close before the late season ends March 31. Before going afield, hunters should check WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/cougar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call the cougar hunting hotline (1-866-364-4868) to check which areas of the state remain open.

Any additional closures will be posted on the website and hotline, both of which will be updated weekly.

tomconant
Petty Officer

Post by tomconant » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:26 am

I got mine with flowers and candy 21 years ago, they're really not that hard to get
Last edited by tomconant on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:07 pm

Is it a lean meat? IDK, kind of close to eating a cat, literally, lol. For some reason the thought just isn't appealing. I would for sure try it if given the opportunity though.

I know this kinda got railroaded but wanted to respond to Mike. I have eaten cougar steaks and burgers and both were good. The steak was a little tough, flavor resembled pork The burger was like ground turkey but a little dry. May have been overcooked due to too many barley pops.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm always "game" to try something new. Tried alligator and really liked it.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Greenfishnut
Petty Officer

Post by Greenfishnut » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:29 am

like my grand-daughter says holding her rifle in both hands across her body "HERE KITTY-KITTY - HERE KITTY-KITTY"

I about fell over & down from laughing so hard inside- Thought is was as funny as all hell & she does too now- did not then though

GFN

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:33 pm

Cougar taste excellent! I have only had it once but it tasted great! Smelled like pork chops being cooked, while it was cooking. Tasted very similar to pork chops but was more tender. If you get the chance to try it....try it!