How to get a Cougar?

All things related to hunting.
skagit510
Lieutenant

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by skagit510 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:55 am

fishing magician wrote:Thanks for your advice Hunter 757. Bigskyx I want to kill it also because if you shoot a cougar you save 50 elk. Ever think of that? Must not have. I know about cougars and how dangerous they are i just don't know how to hunt one EFFECTIVELY.
This is the best post ever. It oozes expertise , knowledge, and know how.

For hunting effectively I suggest getting a gun, finding where it lives and baiting it. For bait I find crying children lashed to a tree are best. Or I could stand by the tree. The cougar will instantly key in on my weakness, lack of f350 diesel and truck nuts and figure on an easy meal. When it attacks me (and it will, only a matter of time, you should wear one of those astronaut diapers) you shoot it. Then all that's left to do is parade around town in our camo and relive the tale at the bar. Pretty simple really, it's just all a matter of expertise in their behavior.

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:28 am

skagit510 wrote:
fishing magician wrote:Thanks for your advice Hunter 757. Bigskyx I want to kill it also because if you shoot a cougar you save 50 elk. Ever think of that? Must not have. I know about cougars and how dangerous they are i just don't know how to hunt one EFFECTIVELY.
This is the best post ever. It oozes expertise , knowledge, and know how.

For hunting effectively I suggest getting a gun, finding where it lives and baiting it. For bait I find crying children lashed to a tree are best. Or I could stand by the tree. The cougar will instantly key in on my weakness, lack of f350 diesel and truck nuts and figure on an easy meal. When it attacks me (and it will, only a matter of time, you should wear one of those astronaut diapers) you shoot it. Then all that's left to do is parade around town in our camo and relive the tale at the bar. Pretty simple really, it's just all a matter of expertise in their behavior.

People like you skagit, really make me wonder what this world is going to shape up to be by the time I pass. Just really concerning how sensitive some people can be. The world has ran great for how many years? Without the mind of yours in the lead. This has gone a lot farther than just your opinion. It's a Good thing emotion has never passed a bill.

Kill the cougar no need for one around your house they aren't equal to you don't treat them as they are or they WILL (FACTS NOT FEAR) take advantage of you. Referring to skagit's quote, yes parade it around the town! Share the enjoy, hard work and dedication it took to take the Animal in witch you have harvested , share the story / memories of the hunt with your family to bring you as a family closer. In all respect the creature in all ways possible.

This entire Thead was little o no help the him, it was high jacked and should be removed

If you still need advice feel free to private message me

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:55 am

I'm with you weekend. It's probably stalking it's next human kill right now. I agree with you that having one around the house is not great but a game camera photo two miles away and we're already checking our shorts. Seems a little over the top. My mind is logical. I've dealt with them before and they are no big deal. I've likely logged more time in the woods on a good month than you on a lifetime. Then again what do I know

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Are we being " logical" "or buffing our ego Skagit?

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 pm

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Weekend-warrior17 wrote: It's a Good thing emotion has never passed a bill.
You're either young or not paying attention or both, bills/policies/laws get passed all the time based on emotion. Not sure where you get the impression it never happens.
I find it regrettable that a mountain lion that was minding its own business is now a target because someone set up a trail cam and caught an image of it. There is no claim this is a nuisance or problem animal, it's only sin is existing and walking down the wrong trail apparently. They are legal to hunt though as long as the proper permits are obtained. If I lived in the area I would be more concerned with an inexperienced mountain lion hunter walking around armed and jumpy than I would be of the lion itself. I wonder what harms more people, mountain lions or hunting accidents? I don't know for sure but I'd bet my guess that hunting accidents hurt more people by a wide margin would be correct. If this is really about safety....ponder that.

If the motivation behind the hunt was a passion for hunting that'd be one thing but to kill it simply because someone became aware of it's existence it pathetic and juvenile in my opinion. Killing just to kill, i'll take skagit's views over that anyday, even if i disagree with how he goes about defending/supporting those views.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:35 pm

I know how to hunt them sufficiently. If you want to give me a PM I would love to come hunt for it.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Couldn't find a single fact in there jd39 . So not much for me to go off.
Vegetarians don't agree with eating meat could they outlaw carnivores ? I'm sure there are many many " good " "logical" reasons why people should survive entirely on plants. That argument is just as pointless as this discussion of shooting a Puma for self "protection". If the dude feels threatened ( be it lack of Facts on the mountain lion or whatever) its his dissuasion y'all know nothing of his situation. But to each there own opinion.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:51 pm

I have to apologize weekend. I thought you were much older. I had no idea you were eighteen. I would have approached the situation with a different tact. Carry on, no hard feelings on my end nor should there be on yours.

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Hahaha.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:35 pm

We're having a fact based discussion here? When did that start? If you don't like or agree with my opinion that's fine, I prefer debate and disagreement but don't hide behind that lame excuse. Care to point out a fact in your post(s)? I'm not disagreeing with your facts because I can't find any but am disagreeing with your opinion on this "hunt" and the wisdom of the "hunt" generally. The fact is if fishinmagician obtains the proper permits/permission to hunt that cat there is nothing I can do about it but I'm still free to express my opinion against it (until this thread gets locked at least, kinda surprised it hasn't already).

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Just waiting to see how many can get banned in one thread. Image
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:24 pm

skagit510 wrote: I'm not trying to belittle you...you sound like a recent transplant looking to try out his Christmas red rider. Seems a bit childish and irrational and not based on fact but more rooted in fear and one too many screenings of The Ghost And The Darkness.
"I'm not trying to belittle you". Best laugh I've had in awhile. [woot]

It's two days before Christmas, whether you're a believer or not, let's cool it and practice a little of that Good Will Toward Men stuff. Why anyone would venture to make posts on web sites is beyond me.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:29 pm

I can't believe I missed out on this thread. I just got off a ban so I am going to just read quietly. But while I am here It does remind me of this Bard Owl that was sitting in a tree while I was swinging the other day. He kept hooting and when I turned around I saw just how big his talons were. I was about to slowly back away when he hooted again, turned his head and gave me the heebee jeebees so I pulled out my pistol and shot. Luckily I missed since I have never shot it before, he just flew off but I imagine he is probably stalking some other unsuspecting angler right about now! None of that really happened, I actually just slapped him with my 14' 9wt and said, shutup, Can't you see I'm rustlin some redds here!

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:34 pm

I don't think a cougar should be hunted out of fear of the cougar in this case. I don't think there is a reason to fear, they are all around in the woods of WA. I also don't think we should slam each other for methods of hunting (or fishing) that are legal. Or for hunting at all.
If this helps, calling can bring them in. My buddy called one in while calling elk with a calf call.

I just came across this. http://www.americanhunter.org/cougarcam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by hlindsay on Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:19 pm

[quote="Mike Carey"

It's two days before Christmas, whether you're a believer or not, let's cool it and practice a little of that Good Will Toward Men stuff. Why anyone would venture to make posts on web sites is beyond me.[/quote]

Yeah, I concur! [thumbup]

fishing magician
Petty Officer

Post by fishing magician » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Dear Everybody, thank you for all of your advice and help to me. Some people may have taken it the wrong way. I am not a person that goes out and kills just to kill, I am a sportsman that always has a purpose and always maximizes the usage of animals killed. We do have a history with cougars in the past though. My immediate family has lived here over 30 years and has had a dog killed, a neighbor had to kill a cougar in their yard, and has seen another one yet roaming in our small rural neighborhood. I apologize to Bigskyx too on my reply. Thank You all and I would like to please exit the conversation. [thumbsup]

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Take care fishing magician, happy holidays.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:15 am

Cougar taste good. And im not talking about the kind you sickos are talking about in a bar ](*,) [biggrin] If I shot one id be glad to eat it, not just shoot it bc scared or otherwise.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:03 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:Cougar taste good. And im not talking about the kind you sickos are talking about in a bar ](*,) [biggrin] If I shot one id be glad to eat it, not just shoot it bc scared or otherwise.
Is it a lean meat? IDK, kind of close to eating a cat, literally, lol. For some reason the thought just isn't appealing. I would for sure try it if given the opportunity though.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".