How to get a Cougar?

All things related to hunting.
fishing magician
Petty Officer
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:59 am

How to get a Cougar?

Post by fishing magician » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:01 am

Recently I set up a Trail camera about 2 miles from the house and saw elk and deer but then got a cougar like i said only 2 miles at max from the house so I am trying to find out how to take care of that. Is baiting legal in WA? I heard that works good. All the ideas/help i can get is great because i don't know alot about cougar hunting. Thanks!

User avatar
Hunter757
Commander
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:05 pm
Location: Puyallup, WA

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by Hunter757 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:25 am

No bait.........best way is to keep the camera up and time it. Then go sit and wait, remeber that on Jan 1 you need to check to see it the unit you are hunting is still open to harvest a cougar. you can check this on WDFW page. Sencond option let me know where and I will come over and hunt the area, they move most at night and eairly morning. But some days you can find them relaxing in the sunshine. Good luck and stay safe and remeber don't ever turn you back on one and they can jump over 15ft at you in a matter of one pounce. Try not to make direct eye contact with one.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

bigskyx
Warrant Officer
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by bigskyx » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:15 am

A cougar within 2 miles of your house and you're going to kill it. Really? If you only knew how common that was. Males home range 50-150 miles. Where there are deer & elk there's always the possibility. Call WDFW. I don't know Wa regs but without a good hound and someone who knows what they're doing you're pissin' in the wind. Just relax and keep your small pets under control.

User avatar
Hunter757
Commander
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:05 pm
Location: Puyallup, WA

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by Hunter757 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:26 am

bigskyx, no dogs in washington any longer unless WDFW gives the ok to remove a problem animal. But you are correct most people don't relize living close to the woods how many animals are around.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

fishing magician
Petty Officer
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:59 am

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by fishing magician » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks for your advice Hunter 757. Bigskyx I want to kill it also because if you shoot a cougar you save 50 elk. Ever think of that? Must not have. I know about cougars and how dangerous they are i just don't know how to hunt one EFFECTIVELY.

User avatar
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars
Posts: 7415
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:43 am
Location: Wa. state

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by Amx » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:10 pm

I just go to the local bar...
Tom.

Occupation: old
Interests: living

User avatar
ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by ridgeratt » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Hunter757 wrote:No bait.........best way is to keep the camera up and time it. Then go sit and wait, remeber that on Jan 1 you need to check to see it the unit you are hunting is still open to harvest a cougar. you can check this on WDFW page. Sencond option let me know where and I will come over and hunt the area, they move most at night and eairly morning. But some days you can find them relaxing in the sunshine. Good luck and stay safe and remeber don't ever turn you back on one and they can jump over 15ft at you in a matter of one pounce. Try not to make direct eye contact with one.
Well after reviewing the 2014 Big Game Regs. It makes no mention that you can't bait a cougar, You just aren't allowed the use of dogs. If you are seeing this cat often poke around there should be a kill site close. If you have access to a caller I would use that as well. As mentioned you do need to make a call and see if the area is open. While they are mostly nocturnal they are moving around during the daylight just like any other cat. Watch your house cat and see what it does, They don't sleep all day long. Not sure why you wouldn't make eye contact. They won't turn you to stone!! But they are very aware of movement.

Good Luck on your Quest!

bigskyx
Warrant Officer
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by bigskyx » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:24 pm

fishing magician wrote: Bigskyx I want to kill it also because if you shoot a cougar you save 50 elk. Ever think of that? Must not have. I know about cougars and how dangerous they are i just don't know how to hunt one EFFECTIVELY.
You obviously know nothing.

skagit510
Lieutenant
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 am

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by skagit510 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:48 pm

bigskyx wrote:
fishing magician wrote: Bigskyx I want to kill it also because if you shoot a cougar you save 50 elk. Ever think of that? Must not have. I know about cougars and how dangerous they are i just don't know how to hunt one EFFECTIVELY.
You obviously know nothing.
Agreed. Leave the thing alone unless it becomes a problem. They are not that big of deal. The only people who shoot cougars are people that are afraid of them and many times without reason.

fishindude
Warrant Officer
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:32 pm
Location: Oak Harbor

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by fishindude » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:48 am

Skagit, wait for it to become a problem then kill it after it wipes out the deer population, elk population, possibly a small child? You must be joking. Fishing Magician, If you get the chance, kill it. Then eat it. See if a local sporting goods store wants to stuff it for their shop.

jd39
Commander
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by jd39 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:30 am

fishindude wrote:Skagit, wait for it to become a problem then kill it after it wipes out the deer population, elk population, possibly a small child? You must be joking. Fishing Magician, If you get the chance, kill it. Then eat it. See if a local sporting goods store wants to stuff it for their shop.
I think you're being a little hysterical with your fears of this lone mountain lion. Mountain lions have existed for a very long time and to date have not succeeded in wiping out thier prey base. Nature finds balance unless we, man, screw it up. That cat has a lot more to fear in us than we it. Watch your kids and they wont become dinner. Attacks do happen of course but they are exceedingly rare. I'm with Skagit, leave the thing alone, better yet be grateful such a beautiful animal still exists.

skagit510
Lieutenant
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 am

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by skagit510 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:35 am

fishindude wrote:Skagit, wait for it to become a problem then kill it after it wipes out the deer population, elk population, possibly a small child? You must be joking. Fishing Magician, If you get the chance, kill it. Then eat it. See if a local sporting goods store wants to stuff it for their shop.

You guys just want to kill something cause it scares you. Your lack of knowledge and fear is astounding. What did the poor deer so before you were managing their predators, likely die off without the hero in pot bellied camo on the watch. I live and work in the woods and have encountered several cats. No big deal. You have no idea what you're talking about. You just want to compensate for something by killing what you think is dangerous. Leave it alone and be smart if that's not too tall an order. If it whacks a pet then by all means deal with it. That's how it goes when you live near wildlife. But for god sakes give it a chance to coexist. No I'm not a tree hugger but I'm not a stupid red neck killing indiscriminately for an erection. They have lived here a long time and very very rarely become a problem. It likely has a home range of up to 150 square miles. You probably won't ever see it again if you even saw it. But you're going to do what you're going to do. Which is likely jump in your jacked up truck that stays on pavement 364 days a year and put on your face paint and other makeup and try to kill it with bait, which is the lowest form of killing (notice I didn't call it hunting) and parade around town like the great white hunter you aren't. Do the right thing, the deer and elk have been dealing with it for a while and it is a thinly veiled excuse to use to kill it.

skagit510
Lieutenant
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 am

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by skagit510 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:42 am

[blush]
fishing magician wrote:Recently I set up a Trail camera about 2 miles from the house and saw elk and deer but then got a cougar like i said only 2 miles at max from the house so I am trying to find out how to take care of that. Is baiting legal in WA? I heard that works good. All the ideas/help i can get is great because i don't know alot about cougar hunting. Thanks!
Two miles away!!!!!!! Oh god and baby Jesus get my gun!!!!!! It will be a Christmas miracle if I make it out alive!!!;;;; we're under siege in our own home, god help us!!!!!!

The above is how you sound. Leave it alone

fishindude
Warrant Officer
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:32 pm
Location: Oak Harbor

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by fishindude » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:51 am

You guys just want to kill something cause it scares you. Your lack of knowledge and fear is astounding. What did the poor deer so before you were managing their predators, likely die off without the hero in pot bellied camo on the watch. I live and work in the woods and have encountered several cats. No big deal. You have no idea what you're talking about. You just want to compensate for something by killing what you think is dangerous. Leave it alone and be smart if that's not too tall an order. If it whacks a pet then by all means deal with it. That's how it goes when you live near wildlife. But for god sakes give it a chance to coexist. No I'm not a tree hugger but I'm not a stupid red neck killing indiscriminately for an erection. They have lived here a long time and very very rarely become a problem. It likely has a home range of up to 150 square miles. You probably won't ever see it again if you even saw it. But you're going to do what you're going to do. Which is likely jump in your jacked up truck that stays on pavement 364 days a year and put on your face paint and other makeup and try to kill it with bait, which is the lowest form of killing (notice I didn't call it hunting) and parade around town like the great white hunter you aren't. Do the right thing, the deer and elk have been dealing with it for a while and it is a thinly veiled excuse to use to kill it.[/quote]

If you feel so strongly about not killing them, you should try calling the State and stating your case with them. It's not going to do much here as it is legal to bag one cat per year even from my understanding using bait. Stick to your granola and Starbucks chai teas or do something about the cougar hunting laws in Washington. I'm sure the majority of Western Washington has your same views. Also, if you need to explain that you are not a tree hugger, you just might be a tree hugger. To hunt an animal because you are afraid of them sounds ridiculous. Are all the elk and deer hunters afraid of deer and elk? I know if I was afraid of something, I would keep clear of it. Just sayin'.

fishindude
Warrant Officer
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:32 pm
Location: Oak Harbor

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by fishindude » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:54 am

fishing magician, If you do kill one make sure you call the state within 72 hours to schedule an appointment to have the pelt sealed. Good luck!

All successful cougar hunters must contact a
WDFW office or call 1-866-364-4868 within
72 hours of killing a cougar to schedule a hide
sealing appointment.

skagit510
Lieutenant
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 am

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by skagit510 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Yeah fishing dude as a timber faller i am a real tree hugger. I'm just not an irrational worry wart who's scared of a kitty. I don't think hunting them should be illegal. I've even shot one myself. It was a problem animal that took a try at a horse. It was seen multiple times and killed other pets. It had taken up and was living off easy pickings. It was an old large male with bad teeth. I didn't feel like a hero shooting this geriatric animal but it needed to be done as it wasn't living without impact to me or my neighbors show. You've merely seen one on your game camera and now want to kill it. My that seems like someone who should just live in the city. Sorry you live in fear, but if the shoe fits. Good luck. I hope you get the validation you need in needlessly killing something. As a steward and sportsmen I personally don't kill without reason. I'm not trying to belittle you, I only want you to consider your actions. Others here on the board share my view as they have posted similar thoughts. It's just an animal doing its thing. If you posted that it got your dog or something I would be giving you tips on how to track it and where you will likely find the opportunity to eliminate it. Instead you sound like a recent transplant looking to try out his Christmas red rider. Seems a bit childish and irrational and not based on fact but more rooted in fear and one too many screenings of The Ghost And The Darkness.

User avatar
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star
Posts: 3867
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 2:27 pm
Location: Carkeek Park, North Seattle
Contact:

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:19 pm

skagit510 wrote:
bigskyx wrote:
fishing magician wrote: Bigskyx I want to kill it also because if you shoot a cougar you save 50 elk. Ever think of that? Must not have. I know about cougars and how dangerous they are i just don't know how to hunt one EFFECTIVELY.
You obviously know nothing.
Agreed. Leave the thing alone unless it becomes a problem. They are not that big of deal. The only people who shoot cougars are people that are afraid of them and many times without reason.
Oh man... I know, people like to blow some stuff up, but is it really effecting you? And at the end of the day, do you have a hurd of sheep or chickens or something? You can call me a tree-hugger, but what makes this a great place is that there is some crazy stuff like that cougar, out there.. as well as some Wolf packs.
To me it's a sad day when you go out in the woods and there is nothing but chipmunks.

Not meant to inflame anyone, but sometimes it's hard to hold back.

skagit510
Lieutenant
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 am

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by skagit510 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:31 am

Well quad it looks like me and you are just a couple weak tree huggers. We don't have the moxy or testosterone to be hunting mountain lions like some of the real men out there defending us from fearsome predators. I mean just the idea of being in the same state as a cougar makes me shake with fear to the core. As for the hunting of one, well that is just far too dangerous and manly for me. I'll just have to drink my chi tea and get back to my knitting.

User avatar
strider43
Captain
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:29 pm
Location: Gold Bar, WA

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by strider43 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:35 am

skagit510 wrote:Well quad it looks like me and you are just a couple weak tree huggers. We don't have the moxy or testosterone to be hunting mountain lions like some of the real men out there defending us from fearsome predators. I mean just the idea of being in the same state as a cougar makes me shake with fear to the core. As for the hunting of one, well that is just far too dangerous and manly for me. I'll just have to drink my chi tea and get back to my knitting.
Some of those pesky forest creatures are dangerous and need to be killed.

skagit510
Lieutenant
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 am

Re: How to get a Cougar?

Post by skagit510 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:51 am

Too right strider. I hear about attacks almost daily. Good thing the state is patrolled by obese men on four wheelers dressed in camo with big scary guns.. Those real men are a god send. I don't know what me and the other ladies would do without them. Likely perish. I hear all the real badass hunters are from Tacoma. They have the biggest trucks and eat the most hotdogs.

Post Reply