Hunter Orange

All things related to hunting.
Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Hunter Orange

Post by Scheindogg » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:43 pm

What's your guys thoughts? I've never gone on a hunt before but I plan on doing so in the future.
I realize it's the law, but I feel like I see lots of pics of ppl and their bucks without them wearing any orange. I doubt they would take it off just for the picture so how is this possible?
People are just not obeying the law? Or is it legal on private property or something to not wear orange?

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Hunter Orange

Post by G-Man » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:41 pm

During modern firearm season, you have to wear 400 sq/inches of hunter orange in Washington state. It is also a requirement for upland gamebird hunting during this time of year as well. Even if you aren't hunting and are gathering mushrooms, hiking, etc. where people are hunting, it is a good idea to wear orange. Why risk it? I keep my orange on especially after bagging an animal, there are a large number of hunters out there and it only takes one ding-a-ling to make your wife a widow.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Noted.
Thanks G-man.
So would you say a vest and hat would be sufficient or just vest would be enough or north?
Also, I read stories about how well camo works and if you stand still they may not notice you. Wearing hunter orange all but eliminates this possibility or no? If they rest of body is camo and you act quiet and subtle they could just think there's an orange blob in the wilderness? Lol

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:51 pm

What I know for a fact is that movement is the key. If a deer looks in your direction and you are motionless, it really doesn't matter what you are wearing, it won't notice you. Camo really helps when you are bowhunting and need to get in close to take a shot, not so much the case during modern firearm season. I wear an orange hat as well as the vest, as if you have on a backpack, you're covered up from behind.

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:47 pm

This is just the first one I found, I haven't rifle hunted in years but we all always wore orange/camo jackets similar to this. Breaks up your pattern and makes you obvious to other hunters.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... lsrc=aw.ds

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:50 pm

Unless you're bow hunting, wear as much orange as you can. Pays to be visible. I wear an orange baseball cap or stocking cap and an orange fleece jacket with tree branch pattern and have had elk walk right up to me. They don't seem to know I'm there until they smell me. And then they seem confused as to where the smell is coming from. I've done both archery and modern firearm, orange isn't what spooks them. Movement, smell, sounds, and/or solid color clothing are worse. Stealth, moving slow, and breaking up your pattern a bit helps as well as working with the wind direction if possible. Be safe, stay visible and don't become a statistic.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:20 am

The deer family are pretty much color blind. Lots of rods and not many cones, makes for good low light sight but not for color. I would think the orange camo would be pretty darn effective on any of them, regardless of the weapon you use.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:56 pm

Wow didn't know this stuff. Thanks guys!!!

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Scheindogg wrote:What's your guys thoughts? I've never gone on a hunt before but I plan on doing so in the future.
I realize it's the law, but I feel like I see lots of pics of ppl and their bucks without them wearing any orange. I doubt they would take it off just for the picture so how is this possible?
People are just not obeying the law? Or is it legal on private property or something to not wear orange?
If this is new to you, and you truly want to hunt for the first time - no matter your age - please, PLEASE complete a hunter safety education course before you enter the field.

That you have so many questions pertaining to hunter safety and otherwise common sense (questions are a good thing!) are a good indicator that you both want and need to learn a good deal before engaging in a hunt.

I wish you the best in your endeavors in this area, and trust that you will find the course and time invested most worthwhile.

onmygame

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:33 pm

Onmygame wrote:
Scheindogg wrote:What's your guys thoughts? I've never gone on a hunt before but I plan on doing so in the future.
If this is new to you, and you truly want to hunt for the first time - no matter your age - please, PLEASE complete a hunter safety education course before you enter the field.

That you have so many questions pertaining to hunter safety and otherwise common sense (questions are a good thing!) are a good indicator that you both want and need to learn a good deal before engaging in a hunt.

I wish you the best in your endeavors in this area, and trust that you will find the course and time invested most worthwhile.

onmygame
Sound advice!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:40 am

I would guess that if he's going to hunt legally, he will take a hunter safety course. I believe it's a requirement to obtain a license now, in the state of Washington.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:46 am

All hunters born after January 1, 1972 are required to show proof of hunter education course completion.

Muzzle loader hunting doen't have to wear orange. I wear full camo but some muzzle loaders wear orange. A guy I hunted with years ago had the orange camo and WE could not see him on a hill side until he moved. He looked like one of the fall bushes.

I agree that even if you are not required to have it, if you are a new hunter, take the hunter ed course. And wearing the orange (more is better)is the safest way.