Scotty vs Cannon

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
4n6fisher
Lieutenant

Scotty vs Cannon

Post by 4n6fisher » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:21 am

Looking to upgrade my old Penn downriggers as all the plastic is getting brittle. Seems like Cannon or Scotty are the two top rated options. I see more Scotty's but any strong opinions either way? Pros/Cons of one over the other?

They will be going on an 18' Weldcraft angler, with a bracket for install welded on already.

jd39
Commander

Re: Scotty vs Cannon

Post by jd39 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:03 am

I’m a scotty fan myself but did see a video of newer high end cannon’s that can be programmed to change depths at regular intervals, ~10-15 ft up and down.
Seemed pretty cool, didn’t catch how you manage line/rod tension as it changes depth though. Charter guide made the video and had it all figured out, one side fishing 30-40’ and the other 40-50’. Kinda wanted them after watching that as it’d be a real advantage having that capability.

4n6fisher
Lieutenant

Re: Scotty vs Cannon

Post by 4n6fisher » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:50 pm

I saw that option, as well as the bottom tracking ability which seemed cool (as long as you had the right brand of FF) on the Cannon. I am also confused how the your line would adjust so might sound cooler than it is.
Probably will just go with a Scotty (1106, looked like the 2106 just had a digital counter that people said went out), unless I can get convinced that I am missing out on something with the Cannon.