Your Favorite Store for Fishing Tackle

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
chwong
Petty Officer

Your Favorite Store for Fishing Tackle

Post by chwong » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:36 pm

As the new year begins, I find myself excited about the 2014 fishing season. Today when I was at Outdoor Emporium looking for some tackle, I started wondering if anybody would care to share what's your favorite fishing tackle store for salmon, steelhead, trout, or pan fish gear. Most of us all know about Outdoor Emporium and Cabela's but I'd be interested
in any local favorite shops.

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Re: Your Favorite Store for Fishing Tackle

Post by c_saeteurn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Outdoor Emporium is my go to. Right down the hill from where i work. They have everything I need to get out and about.
Ammo, guns, lower end rods and reels to the higher end tackle, camp gear, ect. Its all there
Sportco and Cabelas is quite a drive. I seldom visit sportsman warehouse.
Big 5, Dicks, Sportsauthority, walmart. There selection is Terrible. And they're over priced
I been to Lincs on Rainier Ave twice. Smaller Shop, Nice guy that works there, But the Selection isnt very good.
Outdoor Emporium Is the best place to go to for your outdoor needs. in the greater seattle area.
If you live down south by Tacoma, Sportco in Fife is where you wanna go. Same Stores Sportco/outdoor emporium.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:31 pm

Outdoor Emporium pretty much from lack of options. The box stores around here are just too expensive and don't have a very good selection. Although OE has a good selection of gear, I don't always find what I'm looking for there and hate having to drive to Seattle for it. When GI Joe's was in Issaquah, they had a good fishing/hunting department (obviously not as good as OE), but the staff was horrible. If they'd been able to pull their stuff together, they'd have probably received 80% of my business, but they tanked, so I make the trip to OE when needed.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 pm

I live in the south end so my faves are (in order of preference):

1) Sportco: Same company that owns Outdoor Emporium. Awesome prices, friendly and helpful employees, and did I mention awesome prices? They have all the gear I want and some I didn't even know I wanted. And they have really taken care of me. I'm on my 3rd Fenwick rod...all were exchanged over the counter, no questions asked. First one was admittedly my fault, and I was honest with them. I took a spill with it in the river within the first week of buying it. Bent the guides and scratched the blank pretty good. They exchanged it. Second one was a fault in the graphite right by the joint. Snapped reeling in a King. They exchanged that one as well. 3rd one is working flawlessly so far. They will be my go to store as long as I'm able to make the drive.

2) Auburn Sport and Marine: Close to home. Helpful and friendly staff. Prices are mediocre, but sometimes they have some good sales. Just gotta keep an eye out for those sales. Not the largest selection, but you can find what you need there.

3) Sportsman's Warehouse: I'll only go here if I'm in the neighborhood and need something in a pinch...or if they have something the others don't carry. Prices are usually decent. Staff isn't very helpful...at least that's been my experience. Seems like they always try to do the bare minimum to show you what you ask about, and then disappear. One time comes to mind where I told the guy up front that I had 3 or 4 different things that I needed help with, and I had questions on all of them because I wasn't experienced with the products. Required sizing, trying on, questions about different brands, quality, etc. He took me to the section and helped me with the first item, and then when it came time to move on to the other items he just pointed me to where they were and poof, he was gone. I've had other experiences here that were similar. They are my last choice of my "main 3", but still priced better than wally world, dicks, big 5, etc.

Cabelas is just too far away for me, and to be honest, Sportco has better pricing from what I've experienced. And much friendlier staff members than any others listed here. I'd have to imagine Outdoor Emporium has a similar customer service experience.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 pm

I sign my paychecks over to OE.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Chwong--

I see you are located in Seattle. Go up and check out a few places up North. Ed's Surplus is located 1 block East of 196th and Aurora, in Lynnwood. This is a very cool store. It is sort of a combination of 1/2 Army-Surplus gear, outdoor-general camping survival stuff, and the other remainder is fishing gear, fresh and salt. They can be pretty cheap on the fishing gear. They have also a fair amount of "Used" gear. Sounds weird, I know. However I've found some really cool things in here. You can also buy flies (fly fishing) for super cheap. they may not be the highest quality tie, but they get it done.

Ted's Sporting Goods: 164th and Aurora. Mostly salt water gear. Definetely got the salmon gear going on. Some general fresh water gear. VOID OF BASS GEAR. Used to have a pretty nice fly section,, not sure now?

Everett: John's Reels? Johns sporting goods? Just Google John's reels/Everett. They are all about salmon/trout.

Woodinville: 3 Rivers Marine. Not far from Cottage lake. Salmon/trout/bass/fly gear/ boat stuff/ plenty of bass baits. Best overall store I think in the Snohomish county area. Run by people who know the sport, as least in my dealings.

Shoreline: Angler's choice: Small ma/pa business. He is a service representative for Minn Kota motors if you need help with that. Small store with very limited choices. Trout/salmon terminal gear. A few flashers/dodgers. fair amount of bass crankbaits, jerk baits, etc. A ton of OLD soft plastics that need to be tossed. Nice to support the small business guy, but he is about 20% high on most things. He does carry O-rings for Wacky rigging bass..... BUT HE'S ALWAYS OUT OF THEM!

Lake Forest Park:
The Avid Angler fly shop. These guys are great. You may not fly fish, but if you go in and look around, buy a hat or something, and then ask them a few questions about where the fish are at. They are awesome with information.

There used to be a store on 348th in Federal Way. I think it's still there. Very large type sporting goods store. All around camping store, but a huge fishing tackle section. Pretty good selection of tackle and rods/reels, guns, etc.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:11 pm

I live about 3 miles from the Tulalip Cabela's...that's a perfect example of "good news/bad news"--they get a fair amount of my money. Friendly staff and a pretty good selection. Free shipping to store for pickup for online items.

John's Sporting Goods in N Everett. Friendly, very knowledgeable, good selection and monthly 20% off coupons for most merchandise on their website. No discount on downriggers, but his prices on Scotty's and Cannon are very good.

Greg's Custom Fishing Rods and Tackle in Lake Stevens for all things Kokanee and a good selection of trout gear.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Ted's in Lynnwood. They're great guys and have good stuff, and nothing that you don't need.

chwong
Petty Officer

Post by chwong » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks guys for your feedback. Me being in Seattle, OE is usually my first choice because of it's large selection of outdoor gear (not just fishing). However, I'm sometimes frustrated because they don't have a good selection of something I'm looking for or their out of stock on an item. The OE staff is helpful enough, but they told me on some their inventory they are at the mercy of their parent company, Sportco, on sending them what they have left over. That bummed me out because it's a bit out of the way to go to Sportco or Cabela's.

Quadfather - Thanks for the list of other stores. I'll definitely check some of them out.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 pm

i seem to be buying more and more of my tackle from Tacklewarehouse.com... why on line??? because the stores around here don't cater to the bass fishermen...

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:51 pm

needs2hunt wrote:i seem to be buying more and more of my tackle from Tacklewarehouse.com... why on line??? because the stores around here don't cater to the bass fishermen...
Bass pro is coming to Tacoma.

I go to Sportco and Sportsman warehouse. Neither one has everything I need so I have to go to both places.
I have only been to 3 Rivers twice and really enjoyed it but it is way to far. I go to Cabela's in Lacey for boating stuff mainly.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Big D

Post by Big D » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Here in central WA we've got Hooked on toys, High Mountain Sports & Stans Merry Mart/Ace hardware.
Hooked on toys stocks the most fishing/boating related items here in central WA. There's a small gun department and lots of outdoor/camping related gear. High Mountain Sports is mostly guns with some fishing gear thrown in for good measure.
Stan’s merry mart has a new large gun counter with a few fishing, outdoors and camping related items.
Sportsman’s warehouse is set to open here in the spring. I'm hoping it's enough to provide some competition and get the local prices or moderate.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:35 am

Bass Pro Shop, everytime i am on vacation and i see one its a must stop then i fill my bag with stuff i have never seen and different brands, their selection on gear make cabelas look like a little mom and pop shop. the Vegas store is a flagship location.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:18 pm

for me in Central WA I find myself at Hooked on Toys and Bi-mart the most.
Eat, sleep, fish

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:31 pm

I honestly wish Cabelas wasn't around. There are many better stores with much, much better and faster service.
But besides them and a couple big chain stores most places get it done.
Holiday Market up north has a pretty awesome selection of fishing stuff for any needs.
The hardware store in Arlington caries various gear.
The Snohomish Triangle store right by the boat launch downtown isn't a bad little store.
Then there is Sky Valley in Monroe. I rarely find myself in there but they normally have enough for a day of fishing.
The gas station in Start Up further down highway 2 has a some tackle, not a lot but better then nothing.
I was told the lumber store on the north side of the highway before start up (up the hill before the round about) has tackle.
There are many gas stations with selections of fishing gear scattered all over the place.
Although my favorite stores are Greg's in Lake Stevens and John's in Everett. Give them some of your money and they will get you setup with what you need. Both have been really helpful over the years .Share some fishing reports with Greg and he normally has a couple from other customers to give back.

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Auburn Sports and Marine is my go to only because I work a few blocks away. Its that or fight traffic and spend more on gas to go else where for pretty much the same prices. There are some things I need such as jig materials that I will get from Sportsmans but for the most part the guys at ASM will order just about anything I need if I am not in a hurry to get it.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Being in Lynnwood my list is: Teds Sporting Goods, Ed's Surplus, then John's Sporting Goods up in Everett. Then it would Outdoor Emporium (but I have to be reeled in to go to downtown Seattle) and then Cabellas up north. Finally we have the on line options.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 pm

I shop at all the stores you mention, and they are OK but really not full line outdoor stores. Cabelas is mostly clothes and guns. I travel to Portland quite a bit and I never miss stopping by Fishermans Marine near Delta Park, wonderful but always turns out expensive. I wish Sportco/Outdoor Emp or Fishermans would put a store in the north end or east side. I miss GI Joes.
The Quadfather wrote:Chwong--

I see you are located in Seattle. Go up and check out a few places up North. Ed's Surplus is located 1 block East of 196th and Aurora, in Lynnwood. This is a very cool store. It is sort of a combination of 1/2 Army-Surplus gear, outdoor-general camping survival stuff, and the other remainder is fishing gear, fresh and salt. They can be pretty cheap on the fishing gear. They have also a fair amount of "Used" gear. Sounds weird, I know. However I've found some really cool things in here. You can also buy flies (fly fishing) for super cheap. they may not be the highest quality tie, but they get it done.

Ted's Sporting Goods: 164th and Aurora. Mostly salt water gear. Definetely got the salmon gear going on. Some general fresh water gear. VOID OF BASS GEAR. Used to have a pretty nice fly section,, not sure now?

Everett: John's Reels? Johns sporting goods? Just Google John's reels/Everett. They are all about salmon/trout.

Woodinville: 3 Rivers Marine. Not far from Cottage lake. Salmon/trout/bass/fly gear/ boat stuff/ plenty of bass baits. Best overall store I think in the Snohomish county area. Run by people who know the sport, as least in my dealings.

Shoreline: Angler's choice: Small ma/pa business. He is a service representative for Minn Kota motors if you need help with that. Small store with very limited choices. Trout/salmon terminal gear. A few flashers/dodgers. fair amount of bass crankbaits, jerk baits, etc. A ton of OLD soft plastics that need to be tossed. Nice to support the small business guy, but he is about 20% high on most things. He does carry O-rings for Wacky rigging bass..... BUT HE'S ALWAYS OUT OF THEM!

Lake Forest Park:
The Avid Angler fly shop. These guys are great. You may not fly fish, but if you go in and look around, buy a hat or something, and then ask them a few questions about where the fish are at. They are awesome with information.

There used to be a store on 348th in Federal Way. I think it's still there. Very large type sporting goods store. All around camping store, but a huge fishing tackle section. Pretty good selection of tackle and rods/reels, guns, etc.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:29 pm

I do most of my shopping online at a few little online stores I like poking my head into, and I like to order straight from the manufacturer. But if I am in a pinch I go to the Triangle in Snohomish.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:33 pm

I hate shopping online. Which I have to do a lot of the time, but I really, really hate it. I don't like waiting, I don't like having to wait, I don't like paying shipping.