Anybody have a Humminbird Helix 5 w/Side Imaging?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Anybody have a Humminbird Helix 5 w/Side Imaging?

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:28 am

I am looking at purchasing a Humminbird Helix 5 SI. I wanted to ask a few questions about it, if anybody has one of these.
I have had Humminbird units all along, and I am familiar with and like them.

I have found a company that makes some pretty amazing mounts, which allow some larger high end fish finders to be placed on float tubes. My questions are if you can actually turn off one side view of your side imaging? That means that you have side imaging being shown for one side of your vessel, but turning off the other side. I want to avoid having my legs effect the imaging.
I realize that I can also mount the transducer in such a way that the side imaging would be facing out the front end of the pontoon, and if I can actually turn off that opposite side, then it would not see my legs. Also, if you have the Helix 5 SI, how do you like the side imaging quality?
This is such an amazing company, (floattubefanatics.com) they bring the opportunity to go way beyond just the standard "Fishing buddy" type of fish finder, on a float tube. I think it would be awesome to use this side imaging when I am cruising along docks or structure, bass fishing.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Anybody have a Humminbird Helix 5 w/Side Imaging?

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:57 am

I dont have a Helix, but my Humminbird SI unit allows you to pick one side or the other to be displayed if you want to do that.

The quality of the SI image has a lot to do with the transducer. I just upgraded to the new larger ducer and it improved the SI and DI image quality noticeably. I dont know which ducer comes with the Helix or if there are up-grade options.

You probably know this, but as far as having the beam orientated fore/aft instead of the normal side to side, you will have to be moving sideways for that to work. The beam must be orientated at 90 deg to the direction of movement or the SI image will be meaningless.

You can get many questions about Humminbird answered here. The factory reps hang out here most of the time as well as some other very talented folks who like to help. Its a great resource for Humminbird users.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:06 pm

Larry3215 wrote:I dont have a Helix, but my Humminbird SI unit allows you to pick one side or the other to be displayed if you want to do that.

The quality of the SI image has a lot to do with the transducer. I just upgraded to the new larger ducer and it improved the SI and DI image quality noticeably. I dont know which ducer comes with the Helix or if there are up-grade options.

You probably know this, but as far as having the beam orientated fore/aft instead of the normal side to side, you will have to be moving sideways for that to work. The beam must be orientated at 90 deg to the direction of movement or the SI image will be meaningless.

You can get many questions about Humminbird answered here. The factory reps hang out here most of the time as well as some other very talented folks who like to help. Its a great resource for Humminbird users.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wound up going with the Humm. Helix 7 SI. After a lot of reading from users, realized that although people liked the Helix 5 a lot, they said to look for a larger screen for the SI. Hence, the Helix 7. The floattubefanatics.com has some really amazing attachment kits for attaching to all vessels, but particularly float tubes and pontoon boats. Apparently there is a transducer mount that allows you to pivot the angle of the ducer, etc.
I experienced a friend's setup a while back, and you could view your crappie size jig, bouncing on the bottom.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:55 am

Good decision. My one major regret on the finder we bought was the small screen. From now on it will always be the largest screen I can stretch out of my budget!

outtheresomewhere
Angler

Post by outtheresomewhere » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Read ur responses to the original question - I'm seriously considering a helix 7 without either SI or DI because
wife and I are at best casual fisherman/woman that stick close to Roosevelt/Banks/Rock/Sprague, etc. and
go for mostly walleye, smallies, trout, Koke's when they're available, and don't feel the additional cost is worth it,
anybody want to "correct" my thinking ??

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:43 pm

If you know and can see what is 'down here', then you should be able to see the structure the fish like, and even see the fish. And so should do better finding and catching the fish. Beside, it is VERY interesting to watch the bottom.
Tom.

Interests: living

outtheresomewhere
Angler

Post by outtheresomewhere » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:51 pm

will take ur comments under serious consideration (I'm old too and living gets to be more of a challenge each day - glad
to salute the three stars, a "jg" on this end, then a civ flying out of Udorn, long time ago).

Anybody else out there that likes SI & DI ??

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:07 pm

outtheresomewhere wrote:Read ur responses to the original question - I'm seriously considering a helix 7 without either SI or DI because.......
I was the original thread poster. As I said, I wound up getting the Helix 7.
I'm not sure I follow what you are saying, when you said you were considering getting the Helix 7 without either SI or DI?
Without either you have no imaging. I think that you are questioning whether or not to get it with SI, as that is the step up model.
Regardless of whether you and you wife feel like you are just causal anglers, etc. Good sonar is a fabulous tool, and a lot of fun to use. Don't be fooled into thinking that it is going to walk you right up to the fish, and make them take your offering. It isn't quite about that. It will show you a whole world of topography under the surface, that will make you want to fish certain areas more, because you know the habitat and the structure below the surface. Along the way, yes, you will start to see where fish hang out, and hopefully this will increase you hook-ups. :-"

I love my Helix 7, and yes I got the SI with it, but honestly I NEVER use the SI. I had big ideas about how I would use it to look along weed lines for bass, or in areas where I am looking for larger predatory species to zoom out to my trolled offering. Not doing that though.
What I do use it for is to watch in actual real time, my 2-3" jig while it is literally on the nose of a Mackinaw at 120' of depth near the bottom. I can watch the fish as it comes up to follow my up stroke on the jig, etc. There is a small portion of the screen which is a live signal, to the left of course is reconstructed data that you normally see.

You said you fish Kokanee. If you are trolling, it is nice to see if you even have any fish in the area you are trolling, otherwise you can pick up, and head down to the next spot. [thumbup]

outtheresomewhere
Angler

Post by outtheresomewhere » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 am

following ur lead i have spent the morning on the humminbird web site and agree that it has to be SI or DI, will go with the DI, that should be enough to
look at besides four poles, thanx to you and AMX for direction based on experience.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:20 am

I had the Di and SI on my old Skeeter. Now have two Helix 7's on my Lund. GPS, DI and SI at the helm, and GPS and DI at the bow . The best usage I get from the SI was when I am searching for new water to fish. It's great for finding boulders, logs, rock piles and other types of structure that you would otherwise have to run directly over, to know where they are. I had my original SI units for a while before I discovered you can move the curser while in the SI mode, and drop a way point on a piece of structure you find, then switch over to DI and run right on top of that structure. This is especially useful for walleye fishing. I like to set the SI range at about 80-100 feet on each side. I normally set the screen to split between sonar and GPS when fishing, but if I'm in the search mode, I'll go GPS and SI split screen. That way I can follow a depth contour line, and watch out the sides for structure, and drop a way point if I see something interesting. The SI can be a great tool. I just need to use it more.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks for the input on how you use the SI
I wish I used it for something, but it always has looked completely different, so I just avoided it. I really should get an experienced person in my boat, to give it a go. Your method though seems valid.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:25 am

I have the chart, down view, side view and 2d all panels on the screen at the same time. Recently, if I already know the lake, I'll not have the chart showing/using a different panel setup, unless I'm looking for a waypoint. I'm just fishing and already know the lake so don't need the chart. Mostly the di and si. Sometimes I'll just use the down view. I like to compare the results from the di and 2d while fishing as they do show differently, sometimes something will show on one, but not the other.
Tom.

Interests: living

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:42 am

Quad,
It really is quite simple. On your first try, just pull up the SI only screen while you're in an area of about 20fow not too far from shore. go in with the menu button and you can select how far out to the sides you want it to read. Also through the menu button, select the chart speed tab and set your chart speed to match how fast you will be going. I like to do my searching at about 2-3 mph. If you're going to move along at 2 mph, set the chart speed at 2. I always see a little cloudy strip right down the middle of the screen. The faster I go the larger this gets on the screen. At 2mph it's a very small strip. I see even less of this "interference" if I use the bow trolling motor. I have the I pilot so I can sit in the drivers seat and watch the SI screen while steering the trolling motor remotely. Just cruise along watching the screen, and where you are going [wink] and when you see something you like out there, like a pile of rocks or desirable structure, hit the main arrow button to the left or right and you will see the scrolling arrow. Direct it over the structure and hit the MARK button on the unit. That will drop a waypoint. Circle out and change your screen to a split screen of either DI and GPS or sonar and GPS. Now drive your boat right over the way point and you will see an image of whatever you marked. It's an amazing search tool. I have found structure in areas I have fished lots of times that I never knew was there. You may fish a shoreline regularly, and be missing great structure that is sitting just a little further out from shore than your normal path. Some day when the fish aren't cooperating, turn on the SI and move around in some of your favorite spots. You may be surprised at what you've been missing. You only live once and you only get so many days on the water.
I know what it's like to not want to waste part of one of those days fiddling with a fish finder. However, I've found that the short amount of time you spend looking for new structure can be very beneficial in the long run. I hope this helps.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 am

Thanks AJ's Dad, that is a good tutorial. That is the perfect thing to do on those days when the fish aren't cooperating.
Also, a good thing to do if I go by myself.
I get very hung up on feeling like I can't be screwing around with equipment, etc. If I have a friend in the boat. Always feel a little pressure to be finding the fish. (-:

outtheresomewhere
Angler

Post by outtheresomewhere » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:53 am

AJ's Dad, Amx and Quad - I really appreciate the continuing thread - they don't tell us this stuff in the book/manual.

I do wonder what happened to KISS - I'm still working at mastering the terrova iPilot and it's almost 3YO. A long
ways since that first fish 72 yrs ago on a single hook and small red worm on the bank of a river in CO.

I am beginning to think a few days on the water working with the "equipment" as the primary objective, as
in a training exercise/OJT, and if a fish hits so much the better.

I intend to use your tutorials to develop a "cheat sheet" for use while underway - that method has worked well
for the trolling motor.

Rimmabraip
Angler

bsp Anybody have a Humminbird Helix 5 w/Side Imaging

Post by Rimmabraip » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Does anybody have the audio from Savoys call on Thursday?Anyone have the call or transcript from Savoys call, the 10th at 9pm EST? Or know where I can find it? I submitted a question but wasnt able to listen in, and Id like to hear what Savoy had to say whether or not he addressed my question.

Thanks

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Huh? Savoy?

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:07 am

:scratch: Looks like a brand new member, with bogus contact info. odd first post.... the 10th wasn't a thursday... and EST? ... I'm confused too. [confused]
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"