Eagle Claw Featherlight Kokanee/Casting rods are here!

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Sideburns
Commander

Re: Eagle Claw Featherlight Kokanee/Casting rods are here!

Post by Sideburns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:17 pm

Although I know better, I had straight 20 lb powerpro braid or 6 lb suffix nanobraid on all of my rods while loosing fish after fish.... slow rods and no stretch line and psychotic fish....... im a little embarrassed it took me as long as it did to pull my head out of my_______. I dont care for mono in general and im thankful the rod change was enough to get fish in the boat. Bite detection was difficult enough being a first time kokanee jigger, even with straight braid. If I didnt blame my gear, I'd hate to think of the alternative!
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks for the feedback to my post a few days ago. I ended up straying away from the Eagle Claw rods.

After doing much shopping and research at Sportsman's Warehouse, Ted's in Lynnwood and John's in Everett, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Abu Garcia Black Max reels mounted to Daiwa Spinmatic 7'6" Kokanee rods. Although the reels don't have the line counter, I felt they were much smoother and less bulky (thinking of my kids' hands). The rods were $40 as opposed to $25 but seemed a bit better quality and will be happy with them for years to come.

Now it's time to catch some Kokes!

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Those spinmatics are kinda fragile, (broken tips) but are great kokanee catchers. My first kokanee specific rod was a spinmatic, and my catch ratio skyrocketed. After giving up on baitcasting (again), I retired a black max to trolling..... works great! Faster retrieve speed and better drag than the okuma, but doesnt fit in my rod holders very well. Overall great combined choice though!
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:40 pm

Sideburns wrote:........ but doesnt fit in my rod holders very well. Overall great combined choice though!
I noticed that too. They actually really suck for fitting the Scotty baitcaster/spinning rod holders. I ended up modifying (notching) two of my holders for the Black Max's. They now fit like a glove. Just gotta find some time to get on the lake!