That's so thrifty! (Budget-friendly fishing tips compilation)

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Juniah87
Warrant Officer

That's so thrifty! (Budget-friendly fishing tips compilation)

Post by Juniah87 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Good evening guys.

As many of you have probably already seen, I have been jumping around on different forums trying to figure out cost-effective ways to get back into fishing. I figured others could benefit from what I have learned from my research, and the comments you have all given me! I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of ways to save money while investing in the sport we all cherish. I am going to make a couple comments, if you have any tips, please comment to this thread and I will edit them into this post as a quick reference to the various tactics our members use to save some money while out on the water.

TACKLE
Thrift stores/second-hand stores
Items to get here: These can be a real treasure trove if you can find the right store. These generally have people who rent out booths and sell used merchandise from them. Most popular are rods and reels, but if you find one dedicated strictly to fishing, you can find a lot of used lures for great prices.

Garage sales
Items to get here: This one could probably be listed in General as well, however I use them strictly for lures. Can be a good place for rods, reels, and possibly boating items if the right sale is found.

Subscription boxes
Items to get here: Lures and terminal tackle. There are several out there, and more seem to pop up every month. A few big name boxes are Mystery Tacklebox, and Lucky Tacklebox.

Captain Hooks Warehouse: https://www.captainhookswarehouse.com
Items to get here: Bulk terminal tackle at great prices. (credit to user "spokey9")

RODS AND REELS

BOATS

ACCESSORIES

GENERAL
Cabela's Bargain Cave: http://www.cabelas.com/category/Bargain ... lsrc=aw.ds
Items to get here: You can find anything here, it all depends on what they decide to put on clearance. Lures, boating accessories, even clothing.

Craigslist: https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/wa
Items to get here:Anything you can imagine. Use the search field once you pick an area. Remember, if you are willing to travel or pay for shipping, you can switch regions and look further away!

Bass Fishing Yard Sale on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/289359787851887/)
Items to get here: Everything fishing can be found here. Have to be a member to post, usually takes a couple hours to a day to get approved by administrators.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/
Items to get here: Great do-it-yourself videos on all sorts of topics, from making your own lures, to knot-tieing, to motor mounts! This is a great resource for saving money, and fishing in general! (credit to user "spokey9")

CREATIVE THINKING (using items for purposes they weren't built for, or building your own adaptations):
Used camera bag as a tackle bag to store modular boxes. (credit to user "spokey9")

Beads from thrift stores as weight/bobber stops or lure spacers on squid jigs, buzz bombs, and wedding rings. (credit to user "spokey9")

Got a moderately heavy lure you don't use much any more? Don't want to spend a bunch of money on Pink salmon tackle? Spray-paint it pink! (credit to user "spokey9")

Snorkel for tackle. :ook for heavy cover or popular fishing areas to score some free lures! (credit to user "branweeds")

Magnet fishing. Pick up a powerful magnet with a way to tie rope to it. Drag along docks and riverbanks to pick up snagged lures. Magnet will run you $15 to $50 depending on where you buy it and how strong the magnet is.
Last edited by Juniah87 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.

spokey9
Captain

Re: That's so thrifty! (Budget-friendly fishing tips compilation)

Post by spokey9 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:27 pm

This site saves me a bunch of $$ on hooks every year.
https://www.captainhookswarehouse.com

Also to save I tie my own jigs. Not only does it save a bit but it's a good way to scratch the itch when ya can't actually get on the water.

I buy bags of beads from the thrift stores whenever I find a good deal. I probably got three 1 gallon jars full of misc beads atm. I use them on spinners, squid jigs, as bumpers for slip weights & buzz bombs, wedding ring clones, and occasionally fishing a bead under a float.

Buy bulk whenever you can of the staples you use the most of like swivels, line, hooks etc. You'd be surprised how much can be saved by bulk packs or spools online.

For pink season...if you can cast it where they are and spray paint it pink...it will catch humpies. No need to spend a ton on gearing up for them unless ya get a bit ocd about them like I tend too lol.

Also check out some of the diy fishing stuff on YouTube, lots of good ideas to save a buck or customize something so it better fits your needs.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:27 pm

Excellent tips, spokey9, original post updated!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:01 am

One of best ways I have found to save on tackle (primarily for bass) is to grab your snorkel and explore heavily fished bass spots. Last summer I did that a few times, and ended up scoring a lot of hooks, jigs, spinners, and much more. Plus, it accomplishes several other things too. Taking free tackle lodged into rocks and stumps around the lake helps clean up the environment a bit. Also, if you go in spots that you frequent for fishing, it is an awesome way to find out where the bass may like to hide.
(Provided you have a snorkel mask.)
It might be a bit chilly to do that in the spring time when your trying to stock up on gear though.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:21 am

branweeds wrote:One of best ways I have found to save on tackle (primarily for bass) is to grab your snorkel and explore heavily fished bass spots. Last summer I did that a few times, and ended up scoring a lot of hooks, jigs, spinners, and much more. Plus, it accomplishes several other things too. Taking free tackle lodged into rocks and stumps around the lake helps clean up the environment a bit. Also, if you go in spots that you frequent for fishing, it is an awesome way to find out where the bass may like to hide.
It might be a bit chilly to do that in the spring time when your trying to stock up on gear though.

I used to do this as a kid and I would score quite a bit if stuff too in local lakes! Also, river fishing I have pulled out logs & large sticks from shallow points where people don't wade and I have found $100+ dollars worth of gear on some before. And yeah its also gratifying to clean up the rivers/lakes of our crap. Especially when there's lots of line/braid coming off of the stuck gear.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:24 am

Also, I organized and cleaned up up my bass & salmon gear last night. Turns out I have 3 boxes full of bass gear and 3 boxes full of salmon gear, mostly unopened stuff... I have a problem, but should save some $$$ this year since I can shop in my garage haha.
Hello, My name is Tanner... and I have a fishing gear buying addiction....

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 am

I used to swim at low tide for buzzbombs at dash point during pink season. An average would would get me about 10 buzzbombs and a few hoochie jigs. I'm also sucker for wading out after some of the Christmas trees I see on the river lol. I've pulled a lot of spinners and bobbers off those.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:44 am

fisherman92 wrote:Hello, My name is Tanner... and I have a fishing gear buying addiction....
Yesterday I decided to take the back way home to beat traffic. I then found myself driving past Yeager's , and then stopping by Yeager's, and then spending 64 dollars at Yeager's. [biggrin]

Now I'm trying to get a few bucks for gas

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Hahaha, you guys are too funny. Yeager's is awesome, I remember frequenting that store while attending Bellingham Technical College, I drove within a couple miles of it every day between school and work, and have spent many dollars I never intended to on fishing gear from their store, great prices on gear there too! I've added snorkeling to the list!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Juniah87 wrote:Hahaha, you guys are too funny. Yeager's is awesome, I remember frequenting that store while attending Bellingham Technical College, I drove within a couple miles of it every day between school and work, and have spent many dollars I never intended to on fishing gear from their store, great prices on gear there too! I've added snorkeling to the list!
One of my good buddies works there as well, so it is hard not to stop by to hang out!

BTW Junior, my MTB box is coming tomorrow [woot]

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 pm

branweeds wrote:
Juniah87 wrote:Hahaha, you guys are too funny. Yeager's is awesome, I remember frequenting that store while attending Bellingham Technical College, I drove within a couple miles of it every day between school and work, and have spent many dollars I never intended to on fishing gear from their store, great prices on gear there too! I've added snorkeling to the list!
One of my good buddies works there as well, so it is hard not to stop by to hang out!

BTW Junior, my MTB box is coming tomorrow [woot]
Nice, my free lure with LTB is sitting at the post office, but because of when I purchased my subscription I won't be getting a box until middle or late May [thumbdn]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon May 08, 2017 11:26 am

fisherman92 wrote:Also, I organized and cleaned up up my bass & salmon gear last night. Turns out I have 3 boxes full of bass gear and 3 boxes full of salmon gear, mostly unopened stuff... I have a problem, but should save some $$$ this year since I can shop in my garage haha.
Hello, My name is Tanner... and I have a fishing gear buying addiction....
Hahahahaha, sorry can't help you with that. About a year ago, my wife went into a fly shop with me when I was picking some "Local" flies..... The first thing she did when we got home was start picking through the tackle in all the places it's stored. She decided it was time to call the insurance agent and put a rider on all of it...... If you're anything like me you have a lot more than you think.
Yeager's...... I lived a couple blocks away when lived in B'ham many moons ago. Bad place to go if you have the disease. There used to be a place that bought odd lots and foreclosures and stuff on the corner of RR and Magnolia, they had tackle and stuff from time to time but it was hit or miss, better for jeans and shoes and boots.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:22 am

Getting a rider ain't a bad idea, my garage looks like a disorganized tackle shop lol

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:31 am

Another thing that saves me a few bucks every year. If you go through​ a lot of mono on your reels like I do, fill your spool about half way with braid and finish it off with the mono of your choice. I make sure I have enough mono that there's a few wraps on the spool on a max cast for the rod. That way I only see braid going through my guides if I hit something big enough to make a decent run.

I have a tendency to change line frequently on my lake rods and a full spool on my drift rods only last a few trips. Considering I prefer Maxima and it's not cheap when ya go thru a lot, this usually gets me 2 to 4 fresh respools off a single shot spool of it. Y

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue May 30, 2017 11:19 pm

branweeds wrote:One of best ways I have found to save on tackle (primarily for bass) is to grab your snorkel and explore heavily fished bass spots. Last summer I did that a few times, and ended up scoring a lot of hooks, jigs, spinners, and much more. Plus, it accomplishes several other things too. Taking free tackle lodged into rocks and stumps around the lake helps clean up the environment a bit. Also, if you go in spots that you frequent for fishing, it is an awesome way to find out where the bass may like to hide.
Also, helpful to walk around heavily fished areas in the dark with a uv flashlight. 90% of the fishing gear sold nowadays fluoresces brightly under ultraviolet light. really easy pickens on the green river during low water times!
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue May 30, 2017 11:23 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131785240139?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222484038091?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

my latest ebay purchases were a win! 10 pcs ball bearing swivels w/ duo lock snaps and 100 packs of duo lock snaps for less than 2 bucks shipped from china! Always a gamble from ebay....
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 31, 2017 9:14 am

I've had really good luck with these guys. There's a couple others but these guys have supplied some great stuff.

http://stores.ebay.com/maxcatchfishing? ... 7675.l2563

One thing to remember is you can't be in a hurry.

Almost forgot, they also have a US warehouse so some stuff is very quick ship.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 pm

I buy a few things from China, especially when I get can get it for almost nothing. I will say I haven't had any luck buying swivels or hooks. I've lost a lot of gear and few fish using those. Some of the crankbaits, spoons, and darts I've gotten though have caught a lot of fish for me. Occasionally you can get a killer deal on hoochies if you don't mind buying a bag of random colors. It's kinda hit and miss with stuff from over there. I look for auctions about to end for cheap enough that if it turns out to be junk I don't mind.

Be careful with the chinese braid though. Do a break test with a scale to check it if you feel like trying it. I've bought some that breaks a bit over their rating and lots that break as low as a quarter of the rated strength. The sellers I've bought from have been good about either sending a refund or a new spool. I only use that stuff on my flounder rods and crab share rods. I'd be Leary about putting it on any of my river rods.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Something I am in the process of doing is learning how to sew. For quite some time now it seems that I have seen things and said, "If I knew how to sew, I could make that for next to nothing." So I am going to do it.

I like the idea of repurposing things as well. So one of the first things I plan to do is buy used backpacks at secondhand stores to make my own float tube backpack straps. With the rest of the material in the backpack I will make lure covers. Sometimes backpacks have a small pocket with little organizer compartments; with these I will cut them out to make little tool pouches.

Along the same lines, we had a big birthday party for my Mom's 70th this weekend and we ended up ruining a tablecloth. My wife was going to throw it out. No ma'am, I am going to use it to make rod socks. I also plan to find a source of fabric to make my own reel bags. I was buying them on Ebay from a seller for a couple bucks apiece but it must not have been worth his time because he quit selling them. I'm thinking old pillowcases or sheets might be good for those. I like protecting my gear. I don't buy cheap gear and I don't want to thrash it.

I also dig through the boxes of stuff that my wife has marked to give to Goodwill and almost always find something cool that I can use. The other day I found a wallet. Women's wallets are generally bigger than men's. It will be a perfect fishing wallet; it has plenty of room for my license and punch cards, the various different parking permits necessary to fish in the state of Washington, as well as my driver's license, a credit card and some cash.
Fisken Morder!!!

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Oh, one thing I forgot...if you have an in with a bartender, Crown Royal bags work great as reel bags as well
Fisken Morder!!!