Reel Cleaning Service. Anyone Here Use Them?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
TrackerPro16
Commander

Reel Cleaning Service. Anyone Here Use Them?

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 pm

Though my wife gave me a bunch of crap for even talking about it, she says "Clean your own reels!" [-( I would consider having my reels completely cleaned and regreased. One issue I see is in checking some of the cleaning prices I see ($20-$30) it is more than some of the reels I have are worth! Yes, I have some cheap reels... Anyone here use a reel cleaning service? :-"

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Reel Cleaning Service. Anyone Here Use Them?

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:43 pm

I went through all 4 of my Daiwa SG line counter reels last year, clean, grease, lube, and replaced the factory felt drags with carbon fiber. First one took the longest to do as I was being very careful. The next 3 went pretty quick. Drag upgrade was worth every penny too. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:59 am

I have used the local rod and reel repair guy a few times. I have also cleaned and oiled my own on occasion. When I do them they seem to work fine, but it doesn't last as long as when he does them. I must be missing something, but I have followed the youtube videos to the "T". Not sure what he does different. He charges $20. I go through one good IPA when I do it. $20 cleaning charge -VS- $1.50 IPA ( Big juicy by No Li brewery) You be the judge. :)

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:11 am

I rotate my reels through the shop every other year, and clean and lube my self the when a real isn't going in. I'd agree with AJ's Dad that my clean and lube jobs don't seem to last as long but it'd cost too much having all my reels serviced yearly (I'm may be a gear junkie :-$ ). I always feel I'm getting my money's worth though and freshly serviced reel feels so nice on the water [biggrin]
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Yes, absolutely! I sent about 7-8 reels to Ollie Damon's in Portland in Sept. All for clean and lube. Drags replaced with ceramic drags, as well as a couple reels needed parts and complete overhaul. The quality of the work appears excellent. I was though not impressed with their time line, as stated up front. It took prob 3x as long as they said, and many phone calls.

Fast forward to about 4 weeks ago, I sent 3 more reels to a local guy, 'Andy' on Mercer Island. Andy has arrangements with Outdoor Emporium, you can drop at OE and They will get the reels to Andy on Mercer Island. He was $25 for clean and lube, and maybe $10 for upgraded drags.
I liked our interaction quite well. Good communicator, and timely.

My past recipe, shamefully has been... buy $175.00 reel, fish a few seasons, reel gets gunky, sticky bearings.... buy another expensive reel, repeat every 3 years, ](*,)

Now my recipe is spend $25 a year on simple maintenance, and watch the expensive reel last 10+ years. :cheers: