Anybody experienced with the various 'Mini down riggers' ?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Anybody experienced with the various 'Mini down riggers' ?

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:25 pm

I took out a 'Scotty mini-troller' down rigger today for the 1st time. Wow! NOT impressed. Both Scotty and Canon make what they call a 'Mini-troller' I am talking about a DR that has an arm about 16" long, and uses a 4 lb. ball.
The issue with these DR's is that there is no true clutch.. If you want to let your ball down, you must unscrew a small cap thing, and then awkwardly use your same hand to lower the ball, and then screw down cap to stop the downward spiral. As well as there is no depth counter on here, and there is no rod holder as part of it. (The Canon mini DR does have a depth counter, but still no rod holder) Attaching a seperate rod holder is possible, but awkward with limited space on 8' Pram.

Does anybody know of a similar mini DR that has at least a clutch of some sort, and maybe even a line counter or rod holder? I saw this one line, that has a rod holder, but again, no real clutch.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Walker-D ... lsrc=aw.ds

The only reason I am seeking out this mini style of DR, is that this is being fished via an 8' wooden Pram, and space is the issue, and small gunnel, etc.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Anybody experienced with the various 'Mini down riggers' ?

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:37 pm

OK, well I just saw that Canon's Mini-troll model has an accessory that you can buy which is a rod holder add-on, as well as it comes with a depth counter. That's a start. :-"

rappuhd
Petty Officer

Post by rappuhd » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:31 pm

I have used the walker mini downriver quite a bit. I really like it and it seems to be well built. Can't remember exactly how the brake works... but from what I remember it worked decently. They seemed the best as far as quality goes with the mini down riggers. They come up on craigslist sometimes for reasonable.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:10 am

Have you had a look at the Canon Lake Troll? It is a little bulkier than the Mini-Troll, but it has all the features you are after. You can also find a number of Luhr Jensen downriggers on the used market that might fit the bill. I sold one a few years back and it worked rather well, but you did need to use two hands when securing the spool once you reached target depth.

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:13 pm

I posted some pictures of the Scotty DR I use on my toon on the FB page after I read your latest report.
Even addressed it to your attention...hope you seen it.
For some reason I could not post a icture in reply to your report??

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 pm

G-Man wrote:Have you had a look at the Canon Lake Troll? It is a little bulkier than the Mini-Troll, but it has all the features you are after. You can also find a number of Luhr Jensen downriggers on the used market that might fit the bill. I sold one a few years back and it worked rather well, but you did need to use two hands when securing the spool once you reached target depth.
Yes, I am familiar with Canon’s lake troll. It does have a depth counter, as well as I discovered that there are some ‘Add-on’ $$ things you can buy for Scotty, that include a rod holder tube.
Bottom line, I discovered that I can mount my usual go-to Scotty 1080’s on my Pram, only 1 needed of course, just using a wooden shim along the gunnel. Since it naturally has a rod holder built in, then I’m even using less space. (It is an 8’ boat, with oarlocks, transducer, etc.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Salmon King wrote:I posted some pictures of the Scotty DR I use on my toon on the FB page after I read your latest report.
Even addressed it to your attention...hope you seen it.
For some reason I could not post a icture in reply to your report??
Thanks Salmon King, I actually deleted my FB account a couple weeks ago, but I may sneak a peak via a coworkers account.

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Loook at the PNW ‘Tooners FB page. I posted several pictures of my toon on there.
Terrance Baker Sr. “It’s Done!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Salmon King wrote:Loook at the PNW ‘Tooners FB page. I posted several pictures of my toon on there.
Shoot! I told ya I just quit FB, two weeks ago!
Now you knocked me off the wagon, once I saw there a PNW Tooner’s Page. (Joined the group) ](*,)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:34 am

The Quadfather wrote:
Salmon King wrote:Loook at the PNW ‘Tooners FB page. I posted several pictures of my toon on there.
Shoot! I told ya I just quit FB, two weeks ago!
Now you knocked me off the wagon, once I saw there a PNW Tooner’s Page. (Joined the group) ](*,)
Just say no to FB!!! Chris I'm here as a sponsor...... It's a 12 step program but it works.

Hahahaha, yeah, mini down riggers, they're all POS's and yet they all work. Just not what I would call full feature. Canon DR clutches are the most non intuitive things I've ever used, even on the big hand cranks, be ready for the balls to bounce the bottom.....

Missed you at the meeting last night. We have some great trips coming up including an spring day at Camano.

C&R'd some nice Sea Runs in Lake Samm on Sunday, one about 20". It was an Awesome day until we got back to the ramp and there was some Jack #@$%^ who had kept 10 of them between two people. Can't do that anymore, the run is hanging on by a thread (State is counting fish at this point.) and just like every other run in PS they're killed them all off before even starting to do anything.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:21 am

Yes Bodo, I read the needed info in the FB post, and then quit FB again. :cheers:

I’m all squared away anyway, just mounted my full size Scotty on the Pram. All good.