Tackle Store

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
monroesilk
Angler

Tackle Store

Post by monroesilk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 pm

What should I look for in a fishing supply store? I have wandered through Cabelas/Bass Pro and the staff, while mostly friendly, weren't exactly helpful. I am new to fishing and need advice on what to buy and where to get. I will be mostly fishing in Puget Sound with the occasional trip out to Westport/Ilwaco for salmon & tuna.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Tackle Store

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Where are you located? That helps to know your option on tackle stores.

You said fishing the salt. If you are in the North end, you might check into Ted’s Sports Center. Not only do they carry a great collection of salt water tackle. More importantly the store appears to be staffed by just a couple of older guys, and I find them knowledgeable and helpful.

When I go into a large tackle store, that often also carries non fishing stuff... if I have a question about a certain type of fishing, I ask the clerk immediately if he himself does this type of fishing. If he is vague or does not fish my species, then I politely move on to someone else.

Another thing is reach out to people on the forum here who fish your type of fishing. There is s lot of experience here. Some will apply and some not, but you can wade through it. Also, search YouTube for various videos demonstrating the gear you want to use, searching something like ‘Downrigger fishing’ to get demos, tips/tricks.

Cabelas and Bass Pro is like going to Lowe’s and Home Depot and expecting to get 1:1 knowledgeable service about something.
The smaller retailer is a bit more motivated to take an interest in you.

There are a lot of people working in tackle stores that don’t even fish.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 pm

It would help to know if you will be fishing from a boat or shore. Also, if a boat, will it be yours or will you frequently be on someone else's?

monroesilk
Angler

Post by monroesilk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:48 am

I live in Kirkland. Have heard good things about Avet reels as well as the usual suspects: Penn, Shimano, Abu Garcia. No ideas on rods, tackle, etc.
We own a boat, a 27' dual console that we can trailer as well as a larger boat, 65' that is not really suitable for fishing.

monroesilk
Angler

Post by monroesilk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:14 pm

DavidA wrote:It would help to know if you will be fishing from a boat or shore. Also, if a boat, will it be yours or will you frequently be on someone else's?
We will be using a 27' dual console which we own. Boat is trailerable so we can go to virtually anywhere the fish are.

monroesilk
Angler

Post by monroesilk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:57 am

Sorry, should have mentioned that the fishing will be done from a 27' dual console boat.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:03 am

Well I haven't been there often, but have been really impressed with my limited experience:

John's Sporting Goods in Everett

Prices have been good for what I bought and everyone there seems very knowledgeable. Well worth a look. They have been around quite a while and it is just one of those great, non-chain stores that is able to compete.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Englund Marine in Westport is probably the best option if you are going there as they know the area, what works and have a good supply of 'stuff'.