Baitcaster Reel Recommendations $100

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
kodacachers
Lieutenant

Baitcaster Reel Recommendations $100

Post by kodacachers » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi All,
In the spirit of learning new things, I'm looking for recommendations on a baitcasting reel.
This will be largely bass on westside lakes. I'd like to keep it to $100 or less if possible. It has to be easy to use and help me minimize birds nests!
A matching rod recommendation also appreciated. I saw a post a few years ago about a Cabelas reel, but looks like the stopped making that.
Thanks!

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Baitcaster Reel Recommendations $100

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:32 am

Well, that was what I was going to recommend... That said, they were a Diawa reel with the Cabela's name on them. When I tried some I went both ways from $15 Chinese off Ebay to a more expensive one. What I ended up liking for price and function was the Diawa's in the $60-$100 range. I bought five for my various rods and would do it again. The 'new' drag systems will not keep you from making a mess of your line but it certainly makes the learning curve easier.
While the Chinese one works 'Ok" it makes the Diawa's feel like the 'top of the line'.
If you have not used a casting reel before make sure you pull out fifty feet or so and tape the line to the reel. Practice with that. It will make life much easier. Also look up how to remove a birds nest. There is a great way using thumb pressure on the line and I have only had one I had to cut since using that technique and that was because I got tired of messing with the nest and cut it out.
If you are close by I have probably 15 new casting (and 15 spinning) rods in medium to heavy in the six foot range I would sell for $10 each. Berkley and some other brand names.
I would work with you casting as well, whether you buy a pole or not, though I am no expert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK5UfRzLbR8
Last edited by TrackerPro16 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:35 am

TrackerPro16 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:32 am
Well, that was what I was going to recommend... That said, they were a Diawa reel with the Cabela's name on them. When I tried some I went both ways from $15 Chinese off Ebay to a more expensive one. What I ended up liking for price and function was the Diawa's in the $60-$100 range. I bought five for my various rods and would do it again. The 'new' drag systems will not keep you from making a mess of your line but it certainly makes the learning curve easier.
While the Chinese one works 'Ok" it makes the Diawa's feel like the 'top of the line'.
If you have not used a casting reel before make sure you pull out fifty feet or so and tape the line to the reel. Practice with that. It will make life much easier. Also look up how to remove a birds nest. There is a great way using thumb pressure on the line and I have only had one I had to cut since using that technique and that was because I got tired of messing with the nest and cut it out.
If you are close by I have probably 15 new casting (and 15 spinning) rods in medium to heavy in the six foot range I would sell for $10 each. Berkley and some other brand names.
I would work with you casting as well, whether you buy a pole or not, though I am no expert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK5UfRzLbR8
Oops. Hit quote instead of 'Edit'.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am

Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Tom.

Interests: living

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:17 pm

Thanks trackerpro and Tom!!

Toyofishtaco
Angler

Post by Toyofishtaco » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:08 pm

I learned how to use a baitcaster using an Abu Garcia black max. Unfortunately I sold that reel. Now I am using a kastking Spartacus baitcaster and a cheap entsport bass rod from Amazon.

tbrinks
Warrant Officer

Post by tbrinks » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:18 pm

Shimano SLX is solid
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com