Glacier Nat'l Park Lake McDonald

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JAYDOG
Petty Officer

Glacier Nat'l Park Lake McDonald

Post by JAYDOG » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:43 pm

Don't know if I'd call it an exotic destination but we are going there in mid August and just wonder if anyone here has fished there. I did some online research last night and sounds like it's a beautiful lake but fishing is pretty slow. Looks like kokanee and lake trout are primary targets. I'll have my duckworth so any style of fishing will be in play, but lakers would be a new adventure for us. My dad used to fish for them in Canada when I was a kid using banana weights and 3"-4" flatfish with limited success 40-45 years ago. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks :salut:

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Glacier Nat'l Park Lake McDonald

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:46 pm

beautiful location, wow, what a view all day!
reflections1.jpg
reflections1.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 9839 times
I'm sure you're doing plenty of research. For others, from this web site, http://www.bigskyfishing.com/National_p ... onald.shtm:

A boat ramp - rare for Glacier National Park - is also located at the head of the lake in the village of Apgar.

For all of its scenic beauty and recreational opportunities, Lake McDonald is sadly lacking in fishing quality. Years ago, Lake McDonald was a prime place for catching huge bull trout. The introduction of lake trout and other non-native species, however, sent the fishery into disarray. Today, Lake McDonald has a healthy population of small cutthroat and rainbow trout, a few large bull trout, and lots of lake trout - some of which can get quite large.

Due to the poor fishing, Lake McDonald gets little fishing pressure. The trout in the lake rise readily and greedily to pretty much any small dry fly presented their way. The best time to fish for these gullible trout is during the morning and evening hours, when the winds die down and the lake can become as smooth as glass.

One would suspect that with its scenic beauty, Lake McDonald would get a lot of use from motorboats and pleasure boats. However, somewhat surprisingly, boating use on Lake McDonald is generally light to non-existent. While some nice summer weekends can bring out the boaters from the nearby Flathead Valley, generally the lake has few motorboats on it even during the summer - although the lake can receive a fair amount of use from canoeists along the shoreline near the village of Apgar.

Shore fishing for Lake McDonald trout is easily done. The lake is also easy to wade in many sections, as gravel bars are commonly found along the lakeshore. A boat is only really needed if an angler will be trolling deep for lake trout or if they want to easily access the north shore of the lake (which otherwise requires hiking in).

Overall, unless you are planning on fishing for lake trout, don't make Lake McDonald a destination fishing spot. Instead, use it as a beautiful place to fish in a stunning surrounding. Moreover, the gullible trout, low fishing pressure and easy access make Lake McDonald an excellent place to teach children how to fish.

I love that line - "and lots of lake trout - some of which can get quite large", couple with "Lake McDonald is sadly lacking in fishing quality." The author obviously favors the native bull trout, but hey, when life gives you lemons make lemonade, or in your case, dream of an adventure of catching tons of lakers AKA Mountana's version of lake Chelan?

Good luck and please post a report and pictures when you return! =D>

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

namaycush
Petty Officer

Post by namaycush » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Here is a comprehensive study done about 10 years ago which can be summarized as lots of small fish (5-8 lbs) with very few large fish, whitefish forage, suspend most of the time around 60' in summer, and thermocline sets in at 50' in summer. Also, no lead of any kind except DR balls 2 lbs. or larger, no limit on lake trout or whitefish, and license/boat inspection no cost. Apgar only launch on west end and usually calm in am and no fishing pressure. Boat inspection at Apgar to get permit.

http://scholarworks.montana.edu/xmlui/b ... sequence=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:53 am

McDonald is so beautiful. Take a day and go over to Flathead lake. Its only about 45 minutes west of there and has tons of Koke and Lakers

JAYDOG
Petty Officer

Post by JAYDOG » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:24 pm

cobrar543 wrote:McDonald is so beautiful. Take a day and go over to Flathead lake. Its only about 45 minutes west of there and has tons of Koke and Lakers
Thanks I may have to do that too. We will be staying at a cabin on Lake Blaine so maybe I'll have to get a 2 day lic. to try both. :fish: