New to the fly side

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
DannyL
Captain

New to the fly side

Post by DannyL » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Getting my first fly rod and reel this Xmas, all I know is its an 8wt for the bigger fish, salmon and steelhead. Just basically need any newbie fly info. Basically what I'm asking is there anyone who can give me pointers, tips or just basic info on how to tie, what works best and all that. This is a whole new world for me.

Thanks guys
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: New to the fly side

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:18 pm

I would go to your local fly shop and start with a casting class. Tying flies may come in time if you choose to do that, or not..
Most all fly shops offer a variety of classes to include, casting classses, classes on entomology (study of bugs relating to what's hatching) fly tying of course, and other such things. There are class room classes and then classes in the field. Often you will meet at a local puget sound beach for a class on fishing searun cutthroat.
You are in Everett. I'm not as well aware of what is up there for fly shops, but you can get down to The Avid Anger, in Lake Forest Park. (N. end of lake WA.) they've got it all.
If you've been throwing a gear rod for awhile you will have to change your way of thinking about how you cast. I think it's a good move to have someone directing you on this, rather than just being out there and whipping line around. You will learn bad habbits.
Have fun with it! [thumbup]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Welcome to the fly fishing club! It's a lot of fun. Casting in the front yard with an actual fly on your tippet will help you get started, it's a lot different when you start throwing those weighted nymphs and attractors. Practice your blood and surgeons knots, perfection loops and nail knots, cold fingers can make those guys take time on the bank. You're going to want to start indicator nymphing as that's the easiest way to start out as well as cast, and frankly, one of the most effective ways to catch steelhead. But before you know it you're going to grab up a double hander and have a leader pouch full of skagits and T11, I know I'm addicted.

I do fly lessons on the water if you're interested. Let your gift giver know that I have gift certificates available as well (shameless plug)

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 am

Here's a good article to get you on the techniques that you'll be using -

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I knew the nymph comment would go against the grain for some people. It sure is a touchy subject, but it works better than swinging, and is easier to learn.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:47 pm

You never get sick of catching fish. I've caught hundreds and each one is special!

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Amen Nate!

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:11 am

Low,

I'm running a 9ft rod with a cabelas/wind river reel. Came with line already on it so I have no clue what line it is. I'm really not sure what I'm doing lol. My first time I went flying I just kinda started swinging. So I could probably use some pointers.