what opinions do you have on rod building? worth it or not?

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
goodtimesfishing
Captain

what opinions do you have on rod building? worth it or not?

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:12 pm

I have never built a rod before and am considering it. When I add up the prices for the parts, I wonder if it is worth it or not. Of coarse cost is not the only factor in building a rod, there is the personal factor knowing you built it. However I wouldn't want to spend twice as much for a homemade rod, as a store purchased of the same quality. :scratch: Just wondering who out there has built one and what are your thoughts?

jerrysgonefishing
Petty Officer

RE:what opinions do you have on rod building? worth it or not?

Post by jerrysgonefishing » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:00 pm

I have built a couple. You are right in many cases you can buy an equivelent rod for less sometimes a lot less. I think the best part of building yourself is being able to make it your own. Pick the eyes, reel seat, cork and thread color. Also there is a lot to be said for the satisfaction of catching a fish on a rod you built yourself. If you decide to build your own look into Cabelas and order there rod building catalog. If you go online there are several sites that have vidio leasons on how to lay out and build the rod. Good luck

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Gregs custom rods in lake stevens.......one of the best custom places to buid them. They will build it or they give classes on how to build them.

I am in the process of ordering everything for mine and I hope to start building in January or Feb after winter steel.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:52 pm

I'd say it's worth it if you are having trouble finding a rod that meets your specific fishing requirements and or is not within your budget. For me float rods come to mind. Most that have the line rating, length and action that I'm looking for are wrapped with spinning guides and reel seat. I prefer to fish with a bait caster and that really limits rod selection for a light action, light weight rod in the 10+ foot range. You probably won't break even building a custom rod that duplicates one that runs under $100 - $150 retail. However, if you are looking at rods and the only ones that seem to fit what you like are high or insanely priced, you can most likely re-create that rod yourself for much less.

If you haven't built a rod before, I'd suggest starting with an inexpensive kit to get a feel for what it takes. If you aren't satisfied with how it turned out it won't have been that big of a loss. Another way to practice the skills you'll need is to re-wrap an existing rod that may have some damaged guides or wraps that are unraveling. Also, keep an eye out for rods at pawn shops or second hand stores, every so often you can find a nice rod that just needs an overhaul. I know some truly savvy/frugal folks who buy used/damaged rods just to salvage the guides, reel seat and or blank.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:50 pm

G-Man
I like your idea of trying it out on a damaged rod. I have a salmon rod that has had a eye replaced(is now different then the rest) and also has some of the thread onwinding. Maybe I will try overhauling that pole first and see how it goes.
Thanks

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:36 am

Absolutely worth it IMO. Here is a link to an article I wrote for this site about 4 years ago. I used a cheap Japanese bamboo rod to make a decent fly rod for our neighbor's little girl.

Rod Build
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:43 am

I concur!!!! Although I haven't built a rod in years, it's sort of like tying your own flies or making your own spinners. When you catch that fish it's just that much sweeter when it done with something you've made. Anyone can go buy a rod or a fly.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:20 pm

I have a half dozen fly rods, and only one is "factory" built. Yes, I could have bought most of those cheaper, but I really enjoyed making these rods.

From what I can tell, if you want a super high quality rod, an experienced home builder can build it much cheaper, if your time is not counted.

If you want a moderate quality rod, then the cost is perhaps a push, but you can put the features you want into YOUR rod.

If you want a lesser quality rod, then you can get them for less then you can make them. Still, a kit can get you started in what can be a life time hobby.

Funny that this thread come up. My wife was asking why I had not built a rod in several years. Hmmmmmm, maybe......
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:56 pm

The more I think about it the more I want to build some rods. It would be fun to do, plus the custom aspect seems pretty cool.
anglinarcher- I think you are right on with the cost vs. quality opinion.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:38 am

Very nice kits at decent prices can be purchased HERE .
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:33 am

Ive been thinking about this same thing for a little while. I seen some videos on youtube that kinda got me itching to try. I have tied my own jigs for a lil while now. Could this be much harder? Figure out the way the spline goes and making sure you file out the handle just so. Proper eye spacing, and wraping nice tight. I mean it looks like a blast. I started looking at some products that it would take to build a rod Id want. We are still getting into the 200.00 range. The reel seat I want is the main reason it jumps price up so high. Around 60.00 for a 2 finger aluminum reel seat. I like the Ideas you been given about trying on a broken rod. I think Im gonna try a few times to make sure I can wrap right. When I can Ill make the rod I want. Good luck on your project. Keep us informed on what and how ya do.
More fish please!

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:30 pm

You will find that Gregs http://www.gregscustomrods.com/Home/tab ... fault.aspx (lake Stevens)425-335-1391 2hr Class prices for 4 nights are $35.00 plus rod parts. January 2011 class dates: January 11, 12, 18, 19... also classes starting Dec 7th

or http://www.allaboutthefly.com/ (Monroe Wa).... or
http://summitpath.net/hermansbigfish/index.html
Herman's Big Fish Bait & Tackle
307 W. Mukilteo Blvd
Everett, WA 98203-1915

will be a great places to build a rod...They have all the parts. On ebay they have Batson(Sequim Wa) rod blanks for great prices. or you can get the blanks from... http://www.mudhole.com/ also they carry everything to make rod. at great prices. http://www.mudhole.com/Get-a-Free-Catalog This website is the best for all your needs. When building your first rod, build one that is moderatly priced and as long as you are being guided by a good building school like "Gregs","Hermans" or "all about the fly" you might as well build one that is nice. The price will be lower compared to the same rod purchased from a store or rod builder. It will be just as nice when you get done....I have built several rods and after having taken a few classes I don't have many problems building them now. Good luck to you, I am sure your first rod will be something you will be proud of, Steve
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks for the links guys, I like mudhole, infact I ran across them a short time ago and just recieved the catalog in the mail.
FLINGONPOOH- I noticed you said "proper eye spacing and wrapping nice and tight", one thing I just learned about wrapping the eyes is that we should not wrap real tight. It said, that what really holds the eye/guide is the epoxy and if we wrap it real tight the epoxy does not penetrate the thread and is not as effective. Before I heard that my first thought was to wrap tight, but it makes sense for it to be not too tight, but not loose either. In this day and age there is so much information just a few clicks away. Mudhole has some great videos to watch.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 pm

I had a fenwick rod break at the reel seat and I got some good cork and used the video's at Mudhole to create a new reel seat. One year they were at the sportsman show in Puyallup.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:07 pm

What I mean by nice and tight is the thread itself not having gaps in it. Not that you wanna crank down on the blank. Ive seen crap wrap jobs with spacing in the thread. THat looks tacky to me.
More fish please!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:01 pm

flinginpooh wrote:What I mean by nice and tight is the thread itself not having gaps in it. Not that you wanna crank down on the blank. Ive seen crap wrap jobs with spacing in the thread. THat looks tacky to me.
ok, I see what you mean. check out the link below for some rod wrapping info and inexpensive rod wrappers or just ideas for making rod wrappers. Also expains how to have letters in your wraps(for like a name). Also might check out a seller on ebay okierodbuildingtools, for some rod building items that don't break the bank.

http://www.rodwrappers.net/index.html

http://shop.ebay.com/okierodbuildingtoo ... ksid=p3686

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Toni wrote:I had a fenwick rod break at the reel seat and I got some good cork and used the video's at Mudhole to create a new reel seat. One year they were at the sportsman show in Puyallup.
Way to go on fixing the pole.:cheers: Mudhole has some great vids. I liked the one on applying abalone and also the marbleing effect. I have seen the pics of your jig tying skills. I'm sure you could put together a nice looking set up.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:03 am

flinginpooh wrote:Ive been thinking about this same thing for a little while. I seen some videos on youtube that kinda got me itching to try. I have tied my own jigs for a lil while now. Could this be much harder? Figure out the way the spline goes and making sure you file out the handle just so. Proper eye spacing, and wraping nice tight. I mean it looks like a blast. I started looking at some products that it would take to build a rod Id want. We are still getting into the 200.00 range. The reel seat I want is the main reason it jumps price up so high. Around 60.00 for a 2 finger aluminum reel seat. I like the Ideas you been given about trying on a broken rod. I think Im gonna try a few times to make sure I can wrap right. When I can Ill make the rod I want. Good luck on your project. Keep us informed on what and how ya do.
You're not going to want to make your wraps too tight. That makes for a flat spot on the rod and a strong cast could break it. Snug not tight would be the rule here. Then a smooth coat of FlexCoat epoxy over the wraps. That will allow the rod to flex under the wraps and still hold the guides in place. :bigsmurf:
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:01 pm

I built a 6 weight off a Rainshadow blank with a fighting butt and full wells grip in a blue and green color scheme becuase I wanted something unique several years back. in the end absolutly worth it. It's cool to build a rod to your own specifications and to know how the rod building process is done. It also can come out cheaper then as pre made rod depending on the components used. Do it. You won't regret it.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:45 pm

i have fished and fought fish on SAPIplates 6wt it is a great rod if not one of ther fly rods i have used
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU