Fly Tying Station & Work Bench

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
jrodell27
Petty Officer

Fly Tying Station & Work Bench

Post by jrodell27 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:19 pm

Hey guys just built this the past couple of days. I've got very limited carpentry knowledge and basically used a rip saw, a drill with some various drill bits for holes, a hammer, small bottle of Elmer's wood glue, and a tape measure. Used a piece of plywood about 22" x 25", x1 10' section of 2"x4", x1 1"x1" 10' section of square wood length, 1x1 cedar 5' section, and 1/2"x3" cedar plank all of which were lying around in a garage. To be honest, the wood isn't in the best shape and even after spending an hour sanding everything down it seemed this was the best look I was going to get. It's super functional thus far and that's all that matters for me right now.
WorkBenchTotal.jpg
WorkBenchTotal.jpg (203.76 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
Here's a link to the album: http://imgur.com/a/G7qYg

I made a basic work station out of plywood with a tool holder on the side by stacking some of the 1x1 square length pieces and cut them about 2" long and laid them on their sides. A few finishing nails with a 1x1 cedar piece made a great bar for holding the tools. I used various sizes of the basic drill bits and a small pocket knife saw to drill out holes for holders. You'll notice some handmade tools such as bobbin holders and bodkins in the rack. The crappy shelving/cubby bins were made by simply cutting the 1x1 pieces to fit the space and with some wood glue. I affixed a couple of 1/2"x3" cedar planks vertically and then nailed in another length on the top (with extra wood glue) for a simple shelf that I can store my bins of beads, hooks, nails, and other items. Across the back side I have inserted dowells which were actually skewers for ka-bob's and cut them (roughly) to the same height. In front I also wanted a drying rack so I added a couple of those 1x1 blocks and glued them in place with a couple of holes drilled into the sides for inserting a full length skewer. I have 2 rows off-set, one for smaller & bare hooks and another rack for fluffier and full bodied hooks. Lastly on the left side I made a simple arm setup out of a couple pieces of 1x1 cedar strips and some holes drilled through them with a partially inserted screw. I plan to grab some thicker washers and replace the box with a tupperware plastic jar that will affix to this arm more sturdy. The reasoning for an arm function was simply for s*itz & giggles.

This is a prototype for me and I look forward to building something a lot nicer and more professional/longer lasting for my future years of tying. Just getting into everything and have a lot to learn, build, and collect. If you guys have any cool designs and work stations post them for everyone to see!
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Fly Tying Station & Work Bench

Post by Bodofish » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 pm

It looks great! For me it looks like your vice may be a bit close but I'm sure you can move it. I've been thinking of a caddy of sorts to hold all the tools and things and a low box to go under the vice to catch the trimmings. Too many projects and not enough time. I'll be looking forward to the next iteration. [thumbsup]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 pm

Great idea! Nice to have everything organized. Every time I tie it ends up looking like a bomb went off! Wouldn't mind making something like that myself.

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:16 pm

Great work! Very impressive!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:00 am

Very nice. Function over looks every time in my book. I do see a flaw though - as you get more fly tying stuff you'll wish it was twice as big, at least that's how it works whenever I make fishing related stuff. I outgrow it way too fast! #-o

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:08 am

Great job! I found a little roll top desk at Goodwill for cheap. Cleaned it up and that is my station. Now you got me thinking of what I can do with it to make it for functional for tying. Like Mike said my challenge is not filling it to the point I can't close the thing ](*,)
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:29 am

Mike Carey wrote:Very nice. Function over looks every time in my book. I do see a flaw though - as you get more fly tying stuff you'll wish it was twice as big, at least that's how it works whenever I make fishing related stuff. I outgrow it way too fast! #-o
Gringo Pescador » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:08 am

Great job! I found a little roll top desk at Goodwill for cheap. Cleaned it up and that is my station. Now you got me thinking of what I can do with it to make it for functional for tying. Like Mike said my challenge is not filling it to the point I can't close the thing ](*,)
OMG! I can't even begin count the ways that's so true!!!! And as we get closer to Jan, all I can think about is the Sportsmans Show and the Boat Show, I can already feel the storage containers in my office/indoor shop and the garage getting just a bit tighter......... [woot]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Bodofish wrote:It looks great! For me it looks like your vice may be a bit close but I'm sure you can move it. I've been thinking of a caddy of sorts to hold all the tools and things and a low box to go under the vice to catch the trimmings. Too many projects and not enough time. I'll be looking forward to the next iteration. [thumbsup]
Thanks - the vise may be a bit close. Going to tweak the design on this prototype and get on a design for a nicer more functional version for the long term.
goodtimesfishing wrote:Great idea! Nice to have everything organized. Every time I tie it ends up looking like a bomb went off! Wouldn't mind making something like that myself.
Exactly why I started building this to begin with - was tired of an exploded arts and crafts bomb every time I wanted to do some tying!
schu7498 wrote:Great work! Very impressive!
Thanks!
Mike Carey wrote:Very nice. Function over looks every time in my book. I do see a flaw though - as you get more fly tying stuff you'll wish it was twice as big, at least that's how it works whenever I make fishing related stuff. I outgrow it way too fast! #-o
Now that you mention it, i think you are right. Little room for expansion! That means I get to hit the drawing board and make a bigger better one then, right? ;)
Gringo Pescador wrote:Great job! I found a little roll top desk at Goodwill for cheap. Cleaned it up and that is my station. Now you got me thinking of what I can do with it to make it for functional for tying. Like Mike said my challenge is not filling it to the point I can't close the thing ](*,)
Thanks! I thought having something like this until I get a desk like a rolltop system you have would be a good setup for the near future. Even then I'm sure getting a piece of plywood to lay on the desk top and adding some wood chunks for holders and other features for tying would be a fun project to do. Post some images if you ever get to it Gringo!
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz