Here's a crawfish pattern

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Here's a crawfish pattern

Post by Ian Horning » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:02 pm

I tied this dude up for the purpose of targeting largemouth and smallmouth bass. To be fished much like a bass jig, in incorporates a moderately heavy head that will add extra speed and to the fall. Fly fishing for bass in water less than 10 feet deep is a breeze with fly gear, and usually you'd be fishing water even shallower. Interestingly, I've found that often times properly presented flies can out-perform standard gear due to the slow sinking action of flies compared to their heavy lead-headed brothers. Its always much more fun on fly gear anyways.
IMG_1727 (1).jpg
Tying:
#4 streamer hook, preferably stout
Feelers/antennae: Rubber legs
Claws: Saddle hackle/Shlappen
Body: Chenille
Legs/ underbody: Wound Saddle Hackle
Shell/Carapace: Rabbit strip
Weight: Dumbell Eyes

Happy bassing!
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Here's a crawfish pattern

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:45 am

That looks like a great one!!! I like it! I've been looking for a good mud bug, big trout eat them too.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:35 am

Ian, does the hook point ride up or down? looks like down.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:43 am

MotoBoat wrote:Ian, does the hook point ride up or down? looks like down.
Very good point (no Pun) for both the mud bug and shrimps. They kinda move along the bottom.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Actually with the hook point up. It's concealed by the rabbit strip. The fur is over the hook, not the actual skin strip. This is a prototype and would work better with a wide gap, heavy wire hook. I used a standard streamer hook, which works, but better hookups would be with a hook with a wider gap, for bass at least.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:08 pm

I noticed where the barbell eyes were located (under the hook shank as it is pictured), So, the fly would be fairly weedless, hook point up. But could not make out a hook point.

What fish species have you caught with either newly tied fly pattern?

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Man y'all should see this thing when it gets wet. It's honestly ridiculous. And it does catch fish, and pretty damn well. I was out for a couple of hours just messing around at a local lake, and managed five bass and a crappie on the fly. The biggest ones were 17" and 15" and the rest were 10-12. This lake rarely grows fish over five pounds and 12 inches is more or less the "average" with the bigger ones being hard to come by. I'm pretty stoked!
IMG_1738.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Damn, nice catch Ian. Crappie must have been a decent size to get that fly in it's paper thin mouth.